Recommendations for winter jodhpurs, please? And what is the difference between jods and riding tights?

bellsinheaven

Visit site
Does anyone have any recommendations for winter thermal jodhpurs, please? And any idea what the difference between tights and jods are? Finally, recommendations for waterproof trousers to go over jods / tights, please? Thanks in advance x

AFB

Visit site
Tights tend to be pull on (think leggings) and possibly more snug that jods.

What sort of budget are you looking at? Pikeur are beauuuutiful but very £££. Dublin seem to be well reviewed.

bellsinheaven

Visit site
Tights tend to be pull on (think leggings) and possibly more snug that jods.

What sort of budget are you looking at? Pikeur are beauuuutiful but very £££. Dublin seem to be well reviewed.[/QUOTE
Happy to pay for them if they are good, will have a look at Pikeur. Thank you x

mini_b

Visit site
Riding tights are like leggings, often have sticky bits on. Seems to be en vogue now. Jods go down to ankles, knee patches, generally a bit thicker.
Decathlon do some winter jods which I like.....
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kipwarm-warm-jodhpurs-black-id_8392679.html

If I’m riding something that isn’t scared to death of the rustling I wear ski pants too.

primark do some VERY thick black leggings with a furry lining, these are good to wear under things and very cheap as they are not horse related 👍🏼

Follysmum

Visit site
One of the biggest differences are Riding Tights don’t rub you unlike some jods or breeches. I learnt this after riding 40miles. The next week or so I had sores around my middle that were so sore from the friction.

Sealine

Visit site
I love my Musto Snug Polartec jodphurs which are actually more like riding tights as they are pull on with a stirrup under the foot. Not cheap but they are hardwearing. I've had mine for years and I wear them most days in the winter.

supsup

Visit site
My absolute favourite (bought a year ago) is currently the "Milena" model from Kramer. It's a slightly stretchy microfibre fabric that is fleece-fluffy on the inside, and the outside is wind resistant and smooth. I wasn't too keen initially on the silicone grips over the seat, but have to say they don't bother me. Very snug and comfortable. These are not watertight, but remain warm when wet. I tried the ones from Decathlon linked above (which my friend loves), but they simply didn't work for me - too tight in all the wrong places, and also meant to go into boots (don't cover the ankle, and don't go over a short boot).

BlackRider

Visit site
Both the Musto Snug and the Decathlon Kipwarm are fab.

I did order some dublin ones last winter but they were too short.

Bernster

Visit site
Just bought some equitech winter riding tights. I really like their normal ones. Seems a bit odd to have winter versions as they are generally thinner but I prefer the fit of tights. They need more pockets though!

McFluff

Visit site
I have pikeur winter bidira breeches. Love them. Warm, windproof and they dry out really quickly. Mine are about to do their fifth winter...and still look like new. Expensive, but I think worth it.

eggs

Visit site
I really like the Pikeur Lugana winter weight breeches (have the Velcro round the ankles). Fleecy lined and water resistant. I have had them for a number of years and although they are pricey they last really well.

Musto snug jods are probably the original riding tights and they are good but I do find they can be a bit slippy on the saddle.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Dublin winter tights are very good however they don’t have a pocket

They also wear out quickly. I’ve got through 3 pairs in a year all worn threadbare with holes in the thigh area. If you have big thighs my advice is don’t buy them. Having said that I’ve just bought another pair to keep me going whilst I search for something similar comfortable and stretchy with gel seat that doesn’t wear out so quickly.

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
I have Musto Snug Polartec jodphurs which I've had for years. I also have 2 pairs of Fouganza waterproof jods that are quite warm and have stayed waterproof for over 3 yrs. I've just bought a pair of Mark Todd, waterproof and thermal - waiting to see how they do!

Barlow

Visit site
I usually go with Pikeur Lugana in winter softshell fabric but this year because I’m broke I have bought the decathlon ones. I’m impressed so far!

tatty_v

Visit site
I’ve got Laura Garrelli winter breeches that I picked up at YHL for about £50. Softshell outer and fleece inner - lovely and toasty. Had to size up as they’re very snug!

maya2008

Visit site
Thick fleecey non-horse leggings from Primark/Lidl/wherever have done me for years. Comfy, warm, cheap to replace if needed. I got some amazing ones from Lidl last year, and the warm ones from Primark were also very good. Why spend £50 when you can spend £7 for more comfort and just as much warmth?

Jinx94

Visit site
I recently bought two pairs of kipwarms after recommendations on here, they're fantastic! I get very cold so have worn leggings underneath on colder days.

@greenbean10 I got a medium as I'm usually 10-12, and they aren't overly tight so a small would probably be ideal :)

Follysmum

Visit site
I have loads of riding tights but in winter I use Musto winter pull ups for best and primark fleece for mucking out and general jobs. They wash and dry quick and easy

Turitea

Visit site
I am a fan of Laura Garrelli and Covalliero, though Pfiff (not sure they are on sale in the UK) are a pretty close second for winter riding breeches / tights.

Shoei

Visit site
I have some old Kipwarm - They are waterproof but the fit is odd and they are not aesthetically pleasing lol. I wear when absolutely necessary and will replace once I find some that fit and are waterproof.

None waterproof I have HorseHoods tight which are amazing. You wouldn't think it when you put them on but they are sooo warm... I just wish they did other colours