Recommendations please! Properly waterproof T/O...?

P.forpony

Visit site
As title really,
After recommendations please for properly waterproof turnout rugs, that last more than a season.

A bit miffed to discover this morning that a year old masta is completely soaked through leaving a very soggy cross pony!

Annagain

Visit site
I know they're marmite rugs but my Premier Equine rugs have all been fab. The oldest must be over 10 years old now and they're still going strong, even the no fill is still pretty waterproof.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've given up with cheap(er) rugs as they're a false economy and just buy Rambos now. I tell myself it'll save money in the long run by not having to buy new rugs every winter!
you certainly will, I haven't bought new rugs for years and my gang wear their 0g ones all year round.

last rug i bought was.... another rambo for the smaller wardrobe-less member of the team!

canteron

Visit site
I know they're marmite rugs but my Premier Equine rugs have all been fab. The oldest must be over 10 years old now and they're still going strong, even the no fill is still pretty waterproof.
I have bought some premier equine 40g and 50g fill this year and they have been great - the material seems to have been upgraded.

Although I understand the doubters, premier equine rugs are the only ones that seem deep enough for my Irish draught, I have high hopes these ones will last several years!.

Annagain

Visit site
I have bought some premier equine 40g and 50g fill this year and they have been great - the material seems to have been upgraded.

Although I understand the doubters, premier equine rugs are the only ones that seem deep enough for my Irish draught, I have high hopes these ones will last several years!.
Yes I have chunky IDs too and they're the only ones that done make them look like "a fat lass in a body con dress" (stolen from another poster on here - I love the analogy, it's so accurate!)

Sprig

Visit site
Go for the highest denier that you can. My horses live out so I am v keen that they stay dry. I have just bought a Shires Highlander Plus that is 1200 denier.

TPO

Visit site
We've had really heavy rain over the past few weeks (no surprise there!) and the two rugged horses have been out in an assortment of Shires (50, 100 & 200gm), Amigo (100gm), Saxon (200gm) and Masta (200gm). Nothing has leaked <touch wood>

I did look at Rambo when Chip needed a new 100gm but even I couldn't justify that money to myself. I went for an Amigo instead and it's been great so far, he's worn it practically every day since it arrived.

pansymouse

Visit site
I've always had PEs but I'm now buying Bucas as they need replacing as I think PE's quality as deteriorated as they've become more fashion orientated. However whatever rug you buy it's vital to have it properly washed and proofed - my friend had a wash and repair business and was shocked at the damage some people inflicted on their rugs trying to save a few pounds cleaning and repairing them. A decent rug well cared for should be good for at least 10 years.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I have Rhinos (can't quite stretch to Rambo) and Weatherbeetas and all are nice and waterproof even the 0g ones. However not sure how my WBs match to their newer Comfitec ranges and how well the basic ones perform.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I was really pleased with the Amigo Bravo Plus (1200d), although the number of fastenings on it do my head in!
My 0g is one of these and really pleased with it. I bought a size bigger on a friends advice and it fits well with no bum hanging out. All my thicker rugs are Rambos. For the ordinary Rambos and Duo’s I’d consider sizing up for bum coverage.

I have got a couple of Rhinos which I bought for my younger horse as a cheaper option a couple of years ago but although they’ve not leaked the stitching on straps etc. Has not done so well.

wiglet

Visit site
I just have Rambo rugs now. They fit, they're waterproof yet light to handle, they're self righting and by heck do they last!
Of the other brands I've bought...
Shires - decent rugs for the price, no complaints from me.
Bucas - Lovely, well made rugs. Fitted well but the lightweight turnout did slip to the side quite often.
PE - The rugs I got were ok and were waterproof but, OMG they were heavy as hell, especially when wet.

still standing

Visit site
I'm another who would recommend Rambo/Rhino and I'm gradually replacing other brands to those, as needed. I've an old retiree living out full time who needs to be warm and dry and his various Horseware rugs have never caused any problems. They are tough and well made. The other brand I like and have used fairly often in the past is Masta, I like the fit of them on my horse and they are also good quality.

Uliy

Visit site
Do you get your rugs washed? I’ve heard that this can ruin the waterproofing, even if done professionally. I’m now trying to avoid it and spent a good while brushing my rug with a dandy brush the other night!

you may well know this already but thought it was worth a mention!

windand rain

Visit site
Mine have been washed and reproofed several times and although faded are still completely waterproof, They are horsewear but not sure if rambo or rhino as they were second hand to start with

PurBee

Visit site
Go for the highest denier that you can. My horses live out so I am v keen that they stay dry. I have just bought a Shires Highlander Plus that is 1200 denier.

ive bought 1200d no fill ones brand new cheap off ebay...how long they’ll last, we’re yet to see!

EmmaC78

Visit site
I only use Rambo's now. I have a couple of Rhino's too but don;t actually rate them compared to the rambos. The straps/surcingles have come off on both the rhino's.

rextherobber

Visit site
I have Rhinos (can't quite stretch to Rambo) and Weatherbeetas and all are nice and waterproof even the 0g ones. However not sure how my WBs match to their newer Comfitec ranges and how well the basic ones perform.
I bought the comfitec ultra cozi a little while ago - it's fab! The rain sort of beads on the outer and runs off, so the rug never gets "wet" . It fits beautifully, I like the vents by the front legs, it makes so much sense, (the shoulder vents on other rugs would work great if horses could move their legs out to the side!) and the wither relief padding. It's really high denier material so should be hardwearing. If it has a fault, it's the weight - my other rugs are all Bucas, which are very light, but they are pretty much outgrown now, and Bucas have stopped doing their liner system. I dislike lots of straps if you layer rugs, so liner system is important, hence the move to Weatherbeeeta. I have a more basic Weatherbeeta turnout which is about 10 years old now, and still going strong, hoping the ultra cozi as good a buy...

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I have just bought 2 Weatherbeeta rugs that were on sale, a no fill and a 50g...both 1200d and I have to say I am very impressed by them, esp as mine live out 24/7. They stay in place well and have remained completely dry despite the rain here :)

Jellymoon

Visit site
Decent rugs that fit well and last are a great investment. My preferred are Horseware (I find their Amigo range fine) or Weatherbeeta.
PE are tough and waterproof but I find them very heavy.

P.forpony

Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I don’t mind paying for good quality as long as it lives up to expectations.

I’ve just ordered a rhino plus lite as I’ve got plenty of liners already.

The 3 year waterproof guarantee sealed the deal for me.
The £167 down to £89 discount is definitely a bonus though, I’m a real skinflint at heart!
Fingers crossed the fit suits her.