Regumate or marble

Laura2408

Visit site
Has anyone had either of these for a mare who is very difficult to ride and handle in season (and sometimes inbetween depending on how worked up she has been)

Said horse was quiet and lovely all winter. Spring hit and she has become a hormonal nightmare. Aggressive to humans and horses, unpredictable and spooky behaviour, refusal to leave other horses, lots of squealing and striking out.
She is also in season pretty much constantly.

She laughs in the face of oestress and agnus castus 🙄

Vet has given me the options of the above but I’m not sure which to go for. She is not insured so am looking for the most cost effective option?

JDH01

Visit site
We did, back check, physio, new saddle and then Regumate with great success so far this season. Keeping marble / ovarian treatment until later

Zuzzie

Visit site
Interestingly, I went to a lecture tonight given by our local Vet practice. They talked about the use of Regumate and the glass marble. They said that the marble was useful but it does have a risk of fragmenting (proving to be difficult to remove) and of being dispelled by the body. Also, the marble is not 100% effective.

rmasterson

Visit site
My mare has always been a bit grumpy but this year she has become extremely aggressive, narky towards a gelding companion, then grooming him 10 mins later. Every time I walk past her or even look at her she makes faces at me. Since February she has showed much stronger seasons (she's 10). Always a bit grumpy, she became extremely so in the last few months. Worse, she started to show a reluctance to go forward under saddle and kicked out when I applied my leg, especially on the right. We started her on Regumate.
She was scanned 2 weeks ago. Her right ovary was "severely enlarged" with a suspect mass attached, most likely a granulosa theca cell tumour. However a blood test for same returned negative. Vet hospital advised removing both ovaries. I was a bit reluctant to do that although she was booked in for the surgery next week. Then today, she seemed much happier in herself and when I rode her, she showed no nappy behaviour at all. Day 20 of Regumate at 12ml per day. Back to normal!! My own vet scanned her this evening and says her ovaries are perfectly normal! Needless to say the surgery is now cancelled. The vet credits the Regumate with sorting her out. He never discussed the marble option but I will ask him. I'd be interested to hear others stories about the use of Regumate also!

druid

Visit site
Marbles are pretty outdated and are often pretty useless to boot. Regumate works well so I'd reach for that first

mynutmeg

Visit site
my yo's mare is horrid to handle etc and is currently on a regumate trial - if successful then she will be being spayed which is a very viable option unless you are keen to breed from the mare. Apparently costs about £1500 so equivelant to around 1 year of regumate so long term is much more cost effective than long term regumate