Regumate

Ceriann

Visit site
Too many interesting rides with my mare late Spring and summer last year. Shes not an obviously stroppy/hormonal mare (no squirting, pinning of ears etc, grumpiness) so I’d find out when fully committed, like halfway through a hack! She’s normally incredibly sensible and compliant (which she’s been all winter) so discussed with vet we’d try her on regumate this year. Anyone who’s managing a mares seasons - when do you start her on it (conscious its warming) and typically what would do you pay. Thanks

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've just started my hormonal one. She tends to only need it early spring and then in the autumn. It usually costs me about £50 a month buying from the vets.

dorsetladette

Visit site
My old little mare was on it from early spring through to late autumn. She was very moody. Very opinionated. And quite frankly not very nice at times. Regimate managed this to a tolerable level, but could never say she was a pleasent pony. She was stolen - and returned ?? that said she was an amazing show pony and really knew her job.
We bought it from the vets at about £60 a canister which lasted an 11.2hh section A about ut 8 weeks. Our vet recommended using the pig version as its the same ingredients but cheaper then the equine one. This might be different now as I'm going back 15 years

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I think as long as you thoroughly research the pro and cons of this, and you still think its right for you and your mare then give it a go. I decided not to, after reading all the information on it.

Grassy

Visit site
Definitely really helpful for my mare. I get a prescription with 2/3 repeats on from the vet & buy online which is about £100 cheaper per 1L bottle

Ceriann

Visit site
I think as long as you thoroughly research the pro and cons of this, and you still think its right for you and your mare then give it a go. I decided not to, after reading all the information on it.
Interesting comment. What were the key factors in your decision? The issue I have is that some days during a season she’s “hot” - she doesnt listen, you cant work her in or calm her down and its so unlike her. She returns from rides incredibly sweaty and it just cant be pleasant for her. If i could pattern the days i would.

Green Bean

Visit site
I tried it on my mare for 3 weeks when I was working with the vet to find out what was causing her bucking. It had no affect on her, which is a relief as it closes down the argument over 'all mares are moody', which as ladies, I am sure we are in tune to in the male dominated world :)

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Interesting comment. What were the key factors in your decision? The issue I have is that some days during a season she’s “hot” - she doesnt listen, you cant work her in or calm her down and its so unlike her. She returns from rides incredibly sweaty and it just cant be pleasant for her. If i could pattern the days i would.

Have you tried keeping a diary? I briefly had a mare who was ridiculously sharp to ride sometimes .. kept a diary and turns out when she was in season (a certain few days, cant remember if the first or last few days) you might as well have just not bothered getting the tack out to ride!
I thought about posting because i couldnt remember why i chose not to use regumate, i think the idea of her potentially becoming infertile put me off? Honestly i cant remember so best if you read up and make your own mind up. I think it was something like that!

Iris1995

Visit site
I had great success with Regumate in 2019 when my just backed young mare was virtually unrideable when in season but I didn’t give her any last spring as I decided to turn her away during the first Coronavirus restrictions. It became clear that she was very uncomfortable behind and became grumpy with her companion pony and generally miserable every 3 weeks. Her happy self returned when she went back on Regumate. She had a full vet work up including scanning her ovaries with nothing sinister was found. As the Regumate makes her more comfortable at work, rest and play she will stay on it for the foreseeable. Total cost around £45 per month.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Too many interesting rides with my mare late Spring and summer last year. Shes not an obviously stroppy/hormonal mare (no squirting, pinning of ears etc, grumpiness) so I’d find out when fully committed, like halfway through a hack! She’s normally incredibly sensible and compliant (which she’s been all winter) so discussed with vet we’d try her on regumate this year. Anyone who’s managing a mares seasons - when do you start her on it (conscious its warming) and typically what would do you pay. Thanks
Regumate was too expensive for me and no proof it worked. I used stroppy mare, then balanced mare from Equifeast which helped. Oestress was useless

Dustygirl

Visit site
I have my mare on it - it’s made a huge difference. She wasn’t marish but clearly uncomfortable when being ridden during her seasons. Full vet check up to make sure nothing else was wrong first. I get a prescription from the vet and buy it online - much cheaper.

Ceriann

Visit site
Thanks everyone. It was definitely worse late last spring/summer than previous years (the screeching on the occassional hack was v new) but in hindsight its always been there. I kept a diary last year of “interesting” rides and no obvious pattern or outward signs on tacking etc (though she stayed consistently girthy until late autumn). I will discuss with vet but I’m likely to at least trial it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I tried all the moody mare type supps first but tbh they didn't help at all. Vet said to me that if we tried regumate then we'd know pretty soon if that was going to work. I found it made a difference in a couple of weeks.

cornish1

Visit site
Currently trying it with my 9yo mare. She has always been squealy and vocal, and easily distracted. We're in Cornwall and it tends to be quite mild all winter without a real 'winter' break (horses tend to start shedding coats late Dec, early Jan) and it seems as though the mares only have a short break from cycling. Every January/February she has episodes of being difficult to manage, awkward to shoe and very argumentative to ride, but it's gotten worse over the last couple of years (daily turnout, good grazing). I noticed some level of difference with oestress but started Regumate 5 weeks ago and can definitely see a bigger improvement - even with a yard move thrown in! It was suggested that she's now in her prime in terms of breeding, and her hormones are also at full strength. Her first season is definitely the worst! If it works, it is worth the cost. I get a prescription from the vet and used Animed direct to order.