Reins preference?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
cotton plaited ones with a buckle in the middle. I can find ones without a buckle but never ones with a buckle. The only place I found some were from Australia, got them and the leather quality was very poor.

I found some US ones but they have clips-hate reins with clips.

always wear gloves when riding but only one glove when doing archery.

Steerpike

Visit site
I always wear gloves riding no matter what the weather, I also use biothane supergrip reins, have great grip but are soft, flexible and not bulky in your hand.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I hate reins with stops, just get annoyed with them never being the the right place. For riding with one rein, I like rubber grip; high quality ones though, not the cheap ones that are stiff and fall to bits! I have tried all other kinds of reins, and don't like anything else :rolleyes:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Leather with stops for me, I have them made bespoke so the stops are where I want them ;) i have them every 3 inches so plenty of adjustment.
Same on the double , just add plain curb reins.
I only like biogrip type rubber reins with the synthetic core as I find normal rubber much too thick and stiff. but prefer all leather really, I quite like well used laced reins too.

catkin

Visit site
Hadn't thought about gloves, and whether they make any difference.

I dislike gloves for almost anything, but especially riding. I do like to give the pony plenty of scratchies when he's doing something good out riding and bare fingers just feels better for that.

Bernster

Visit site
Never really thought about it! Rubber reins for me. I don’t like the continental ones. Always wear gloves.

I have plaited reins from our ventures showing, are they good for hunting? I do find I lose my rubber ones when jumping but think that’s more because I chuck my reins away when we are on a duff stride.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Plain leather western style split reins. I hate rubber reins but do have a coloured set that helped my son when he was learning how much rein to give

blitznbobs

Visit site
Rubber covered or eventa every time i
Like the bulk in my hand - I actually have very small hands.

The only time I use different reins is in the show ring where my cobs double has laced in the bridoon and fine plain on the curb - he only ever has a double on for the time in the ring - the last thing he needs is being encouraged to dip behind the bit!

On the gloves question - always gloves not ridden without gloves in years and I’m even fussy about those - roekle (sp?) gloves are the only ones I wear to ride in these days ...

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Rubber covered or eventa every time i
Like the bulk in my hand - I actually have very small hands.

The only time I use different reins is in the show ring where my cobs double has laced in the bridoon and fine plain on the curb - he only ever has a double on for the time in the ring - the last thing he needs is being encouraged to dip behind the bit!

On the gloves question - always gloves not ridden without gloves in years and I’m even fussy about those - roekle (sp?) gloves are the only ones I wear to ride in these days ...
Oh I love Roekle gloves. Testing Decathlon Kipwarm ones at the moment.

elliejhb

Visit site
After following recommendations on here, I am a complete convert to the Henry James bio grip continental reins.
They give a really good feel, aren't too bulky and the stoppers solve my slipping reins problem.View attachment 29060
I have the V version of these, really like them a lot less bulky and more flexible than other rubber resins I've tried.

jj_87

Visit site
Jeffries bio grips for me, lovely and supple but very grippy. I detest continental reins and anything with stoppers on them, they just don't sit right.

Visit site
I have rubber reins for work for obvious reasons. I don't like thick reins, I have very small hands! So no one else likes my reins as they are quite thin. At home I have either laced or plain leather reins depending on who/what I am riding.

I have a horrible pair of laced shoelace reins - my god I can't ride with them! They are way way too thin! I don't know where I got them from, they just appeared one day!