Relocating to Wales

tamsinkb

Visit site
I feel like a bit of an interloper here.....being from the South East and all. Was hoping to get some advice / opinions from all you welshies :) I am thinking about relocating - possibly to Wales and would value any input.

A bit of background - I am lucky enough to be able to buy a property up to 450K for myself, my 3 large horses, my beloved dog and the 2 cats. I would want a fair amount of land (5+ acres) stabling (or possiblity of building stables) an outdoor school (or build one) and good outriding, not involving busy roads and being a bit fussy, I would prefer a 'character' property'! I have non-horsey friends near Llandysul and love the countryside around there but they have no idea of the horsey scene - what is the riding like?

Is this viable, or simply a pipe dream? Which are the best equestrian parts of Wales and why?

Many thanks
Tamsin

SuperH

Visit site
You would find a property that fits your requirements here in Mid Wales without a problem.

Couple of things to bear in mind. Do you need access to civilisation? It can be a long way to go somewhere; London for example is a long way away. Riding varies from excellent to shocking. Rural roads can be very busy, if you are on a tourist route then beware of the increase in traffic in the summer or holidays. Ring a few estate agents, view a selection of properties in different areas then you will see what you can get and where.

GlamourDol

Visit site
Where we are, you can buy a whole village for half a million quid. Lol
What is making you want to move to wales? Where have you looked at?
I'm having an I hate anywhere that isn't home day today, but there are some nice parts!

tamsinkb

Visit site
Thanks for replies so far - reasons for relocating are complex, but basically I am trying to find a quieter lifestyle. I live in a lovely village on the South Downs which is beautiful but so busy....I'm a real country bumpkin who is happiest well away from hustle and bustle - being a long way from civilisation is no problem! I also need to give my ex husband a truly wide berth as even after 3 years he still thinks it is apporpriate to call round at all times of the day and night!

More seriously, I really want my horses at home, rather than at livery and space to have some livestock... I quite fancy the 'good life' and am lucky enough to be able to afford it ! Wales appeals as I think it is a lovely country and I have a number of friends who live there. South / mid wales is my prefered location, though I would also look at the welsh borders.

Pipkin

Visit site
Loads of properties in carmarthenshire well within your budget. Pm me if you want to know good hacking areas and not so good :)

MrPotts

Visit site
A fair amount of land, 5+ acres is a teeny amount of land down here :-D we aren't far from Llandysul so any advice feel free to send a pm :)

tamsinkb

Visit site
A fair amount of land, 5+ acres is a teeny amount of land down here :-D we aren't far from Llandysul so any advice feel free to send a pm :)

pembokeshire/carmarthenshire iswhat you are lookig for, and you will get a lot more than 5 acresc for that money\!!!

That sounds promising... 5+ acres here in Sussex, with a house and potential horsey buildings would set you back a 7 figure sum!

Anyone have any suggestions of estate / land agents in Pembroke / Carmarthenshire who del with equine properties?

Thanks
Tamsin

meesha

Visit site
I know I shouldnt be in here ... but... look at ruralscene just to give you an idea of what you may be able to get - I often waste some time browsing through !

scurries back to South West....

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
That sounds promising... 5+ acres here in Sussex, with a house and potential horsey buildings would set you back a 7 figure sum!

Anyone have any suggestions of estate / land agents in Pembroke / Carmarthenshire who del with equine properties?

Thanks
Tamsin

they all deal with equine/country properties! pity, there were 2 places either side of my village that would be suitable till a coupla weeks ago!

how bout somethinglike this
http://popularmove.co.uk/welcome/featured-property-2/

(see what i mean about the land?!!)

Last edited:

Rhodders

Visit site
I live just down the road from where your looking at - yeah, you can buy a mansion for that sort of money up here. I'm a incomer, I've been here 2 years - hacking is ok - a short box ride will take you to loads of other fantastic hacking

Foxy O

Visit site
We located to Wales 15 months ago, we used
http://www.uklandandfarms.co.uk/
http://www.hallsestateagents.co.uk/office/oswestry

We tried going through rural scene but they seemed to add an extra £50,000 on to the value of every property and a pain to deal with.
We live around a 45 minute drive from Shrewsbury and we are surrounded by loads of amazing bridleways including one of the links that goes from North Wales right down to South wales, the raibow trails are also just a short box ride away.

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
I'm near Llandysul on 10 + acres with 3 stables, tack and feed room plus other storage sheds. Character barn conversion. Ok for riding with quiet lanes. My fields are right beside my house well away from any passing traffic. I'm a lucky girl. All for under 300k. So you should find something no problem or else you can buy mine!!

LouiseMaryon

New User
Visit site
It's a really nice Area for horses. We moved to just outside Llandysul 14 years ago now.

If you need any numbers or details for the area just shout :)

Gingernuts

New User
Visit site
I live not far from Llandysul.... have abso FAB outriding where I am (between New Inn/Llanllwni), but not sure what the riding in Llandysul area is like? We bought our farm through http://www.evansbros.co.uk/ Have a look at there properties with land. Please feel free to ask any questions

Raf

New User
Visit site
I live near Brecon and it's lovely, we're selling our house with 5 acres that may suit you. PM me if you want the link! :)