Repeat prescription drugs Feeling fed up!

Finlib

Visit site
We have 4 horses 1 is an ex racing T\B and 1 is on prascend for cushings.
Both need medication but other than that are in great condition for their ages (T.B is 30 and the cushings horse 26.
The Cushing has 1 tablet every day but the T.B only has Bute when needed he has it for 3 days before the farrier visit as he is a bit stiff pand struggles to hold his feet up for long periods when shod in front and trimmed behind and sometimes in bad weather in winter if he gets a little uncomfortable. He is 17 hh so for each shoeing trim (every 6 weeks)I will use about 8 to 10 bute over 3 to 4 days.
I am down to my last 10 and as he is due for shoeing next week when I will use them all I need to get some more.
I rang the vet to pick up a box of bute for the old T\B and was told I need to make an appointment for a visit as he hasn't. been seen for a year.
He has an abscess a year ago BUT when the vet came to blood test the cushings horse in May I particularly asked the vet to look at the old boy and check him so I could get the next lot of bute as I need it.
It appears the vet cant remember it and didn't note it on the files even though I asked him to and he agreed to do it.
I feel a bit fed up as I will now incur an unnecessary vets bill.
I feel over a barrel I need the bute to keep him comfortable but they are forcing me in a vets visit just to get the drugs I need to keep him comfortable .
He is a lovely old boy and when he becomes too uncomfortable I will let him go but that is not now .

meleeka

Visit site
It’s not just horses. I was prescribed a lifetime medication for my dog. I used a bottle and requested more, only to be told I needed a ‘meds check’ before I had anymore. I’d seen the vet only a month before for her vaccinations! My vets Insist in 6 monthly visits which is frustrating when I have to have a blood test for my Cushings pony when I don’t feel I need one. I’ve been able to tell both times her meds needed increasing without a blood test.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think this is pretty standard? I know I can get the medications I've used for my horses when they've been seen in the last 6 months or so, so if I need some regumate for one or danilon for the other that's fine, but I would need to have a visit for much longer than that. Mine are seen regularly for their vaccinations/teeth etc anyway so it's pretty rare for me to go any longer between visits tbh... but I would liken it to needing a check up by the GP which is common with many repeat prescriptions.

Finlib

Visit site
he was seem with in 6 months end of may to now is 6 months they omitted to record it!!!!! What annoys me the most is my neighbour had a vet visit 2 weeks ago and had I known they hadnt recorded it I could have had a shared a visit with her .

Goldenstar

Visit site
Did they add looking at the old horse to the bill when they came to the other one because if not it does not exist .
be thankful you don't have a dog on Tramadol .

JJS

Visit site
I feel your frustration. If I'd had mine seen within the specified period and then had to pay out for an additional visit I'd be pretty peeved too. My own cushings boy is due his next six month check-up in a few days, which is annoying enough considering that he looks and clearly feels fantastic, but at least I'm not being charged twice over for the same service!

9tails

Visit site
You have six weeks to get this sorted, ring the vet and ask if they do zone days where the vet call out is free and put up a note in the tearoom/tackroom/loo/facebook and ask if anyone on your yard needs to have the vet out. Then you can share the call out or get him down on a day when the call out is free.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, this is annoying for you. However, my vets practice like others has had to get a lot stricter on repeat prescriptions, because they themselves are being checked up on in regular audits. No more handing out boxes of Danilon for general yard use 'as and when', they need to see the specific animal every 6 months.

meleeka, like yours my older Cushing's mare also tells me better than any ACTH assay when she needs her meds upped, the blood pull is only ever playing catch up lol.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i had similar with my lurcher, she used to get upset stomach every so often, and i had a supply of her medication to use as and when required. i had almost run out when she was ill again on fridaynight/sat morning so first thing sat i phoned and asked if i could call in and get some more and they said i had to bring her in ,i said ok but they said they couldnt see her till monday...,my normal vet wasnt there and this other one wanted my poor dog to suffer all over the weekend. if she had bothered to look at her records she could have seen that this condition had been going on for years.... i pointed out that she had been in 2 months previously for her vaccination but apparently that didnt count ...i insisted and they gave me enough tablets for sat and sun and i had to bring her in on the monday...i saw my usual vet(who is the boss) and told him i wasnt happy and got my usual supply of tablets.

Finlib

Visit site
It's a legal requirement that they see the animals every six months.

Yes which is exactly why I asked him to look at him in May when the Cushings horse was blood tested May to now is just under 6 months . Unfortunately we are in a very rural area with only 6 houses within 2 miles of us only one of which keeps horses and uses the same vet as us and as I said she had routine jabs 2 weeks ago so I could have shared with her if I had realized they had 'forgotten' to log the check in May. No zoned visits here and no equestrian yards anywhere near. I guess I just have to put up with it .Keeping elderly horses and doing right by them isn't easy or cheap this just adds to the expense .

teddypops

Visit site
he was seem with in 6 months end of may to now is 6 months they omitted to record it!!!!! What annoys me the most is my neighbour had a vet visit 2 weeks ago and had I known they hadnt recorded it I could have had a shared a visit with her .
Did you pay for the examination in May?

Finlib

Visit site
Did you pay for the examination in May?

I really don't know I paid the amount when I took one of the dogs in for their vaccinations the amount was on my account and I just paid it .None of my horses are insured so I generally just sort out any payments whenever I am at the vets with any of the cats and dogs and don't always see a bill
. I have asked them to check with the vet and remind him he checked him in May and look up the bill.

twiggy2

Visit site
It's a legal requirement that they see the animals every six months.

It's not a legal requirement but the latest RVC guidelines indicate that depending on the animals condition, the stability of the condition and the medication given that regular health checks are made.
The vagueness of this means vets are doing their best to interpret the guidelines in order to protect themselves from prosecution or trouble with RVC.
Some vets will insist on 3monthly checks whilst others will go up to a year but as mentioned checks by those in charge are now more regular.

Casey76

Visit site
It's not just horses, humans need to be seen at least yearly by a physician if they have repeat prescriptions.

It prevents fraud too. Just think, if a vet wrote prescriptions without verifying the animal was still alive (and in good health), the person receiving the medication could resell if the animal wasn't still with them.

In the case of long term pain management, it is often an opportunity to run blood tests to ensure renal and hepatic function are still sufficient to tolerate more of the same medication, or to determine if a change in medication is required.

Finlib

Visit site
i am not disputing horse needing to be seen just that he WAS SEEN within 6 months and it appears a clerical error on their part has not recorded it so I am faced with an unnecessary vets bill to get him seen again. The vet actually commented on how well he looked and on his weight and muscle for a 30 year old thoroughbred.