Repeat wormer safety issues

SueC1964

New User
Visit site
If the wrong wormer is given what is a safe interval to wait until giving the correct one? Equest was given rather than Equest pro max.

Equi

Visit site
As ester says either tape count or double dose strongid-p but if wait a while until the first frost hits, tape is supposed to be done then.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
As ester says either tape count or double dose strongid-p but if wait a while until the first frost hits, tape is supposed to be done then.

Isn't it encysted redworm that is post first frost.

Suec1964 you could get praziquantel which is the bit in pramox but not in equest from your vet.

Alternatively as Ester says you could do an equisal tapeworm test and if clear you won't need to.

SEL

Visit site
Vet told me a gap of 3 weeks between products when we discussing a horse who had never been wormed. I'd done a double dose of Strongid P and his poo was full of dead tape worm for 3 days. ?

PurBee

Visit site
ah I forget that you can get praziquantel from vets still :)

I didnt know that— have to check here in ireland.
Love the name praziquantel…i remember it by recalling the word quetzalcoatl, which ironically means ‘precious serpent’…
”i shall kill thy quetzalcoatl precious tapeworm serpent with my praziquantal” ?

ETA these cheap supermarket box red wines hit fast and strong

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Vet told me a gap of 3 weeks between products when we discussing a horse who had never been wormed. I'd done a double dose of Strongid P and his poo was full of dead tape worm for 3 days. ?
Sorry, bit of a hijack.

I did a tapeworm test and it came back high (equest pramox 12 months ago, no previous tapeworm test) so I wormed with Equimax as recommended but I never saw any tapeworm in his poo. I assume they are obvious?

I've read that the wormer will cause a positive tapeworm test for another 12 months as it's a test for antibodies, so I can't retest. I was intending to give equest pramox in spring (6 months after Equimax)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've never heard about wormers causing positive tapeworm test

However as equisal is a test for antibodies, they can still be in the system after the tapeworms have gone.

You get a positive test. You worm and it's cleared the tapeworms. However the antibodies may not return to normal for weeks or even months. That's why you have to allow time before retesting after worming.

ETA just checked and 16 weeks between tapeworm s being killed and antibodies returning to normal

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Sorry, bit of a hijack.

I did a tapeworm test and it came back high (equest pramox 12 months ago, no previous tapeworm test) so I wormed with Equimax as recommended but I never saw any tapeworm in his poo. I assume they are obvious?
I don't think it's hugely common to see worms in droppings tbh, one of mine currently returns medium redworm counts regularly and I see them in his droppings about 36 hours after worming but I've never had that with any other horse before.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I don't think it's hugely common to see worms in droppings tbh, one of mine currently returns medium redworm counts regularly and I see them in his droppings about 36 hours after worming but I've never had that with any other horse before.
It's a bit shocking when you do see a lot of worms. When I wormed a newly bought yearling Fell his droppings were a solid mass of tangled up ascarids a foot long ? and a mare I got off the fell the pooed out a mass of redworms. Quite horrible the numbers there.