Report - BD convention, please add your gems to it!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
So as we seem to be short on reports in C&T at the moment, I thought I'd jot down some of the things I took away from the BD convention this weekend. Anyone else who was there, please add what you remember because I only took notes from some sessions!

First up on Saturday Ferdi and Michael Eilberg showed us how they start their young horses. Michael's horse was a 4yo and he gave a super demo of sensitive riding to allow the horse to take in the atmosphere but not allowing it to get overwhelmed.
Top tip from Ferdi - make it clear to the horse the order of importance of what it's learning. Which request and response is the most important (e.g. go forward) and which are then the added extras (e.g. go forward STRAIGHT). I thought that was great because it's all too easy to get bogged down in the detail, and lose the key elements :eek:

Second tip - if there is no challenge, there can be no improvement. Part of training the young horse is to challenge him and see what he can do, it's OK to make a mistake, just don't make a fuss about it.

Next was Stephen Clarke with 2 more advanced horses working about Elem, and he showed us some of the lateral work. I found Zoe Sleigh's horse quite distracting to watch so didn't write much! Anyone able to fill in the gaps?! :eek:

Followed by a fab session with Gareth Hughes looking at changes. Really good timing for me as that's what I'm working on at the moment with Kira. He started by saying " the most important thing is not to panic" :D Good to hear!

He started with the canter-walk-canter transitions, a strength building exercise. A timely reminder -the horse must be light on the hand in the canter, otherwise he will be on his head in the walk. The horse must commit to the walk - not dribble into it, and then a clear walk rhythm, then commit to the canter again.

He mentioned that you should choose your lines with care. The horse he rode showed tension in the walk, so riding canter-walk on the wall is a bad idea - the horse is trapped on the fence and you have nowhere to go to help it. If you ride the trans on a curving line across the school, then you can keep your inside leg on in the walk and ask the horse to step sideways around it until the tension is released and the horse relaxes to the walk.

Related- with the changes, choose the line that helps you create the canter you need. With a horse that is lazy, you need to ride the changes close together to create a bit of anticipation. He demo-ed a figure of 8 with approx 12m circles, with the crossover at the middle heading towards the wall, allowing the correct positioning, creating anticipation but not allowing the horse to run.

With a horse that gets ahead of you, riding counter canter, across the diagonal and changing into the new counter canter can help because it's not an expected line, and the horse stays more on your aids.

Loved the session on developing tempis, could ramble on for ages on this. But 2 things really stuck in my mind - first that a pro rider actually said that a smooth change wasn't always easy to feel if it was true or late behind (Hallelujah) and secondly that you will have good and bad days "it'll make you cry one day, and you'll feel like you're riding at the Olympics the next".
Yup.

Next was the pony riders with Darryl Thickitt - have to say I was impressed by the attention to detail but found it very hard to relate to - definitely a smidge of the green eyed monster coming out because I'd have sold my soul at that age for the opportunities and schoolmasters they have at their disposal!! :p
Similarly Paul and Bobby Hayler - cracking horse to demo with, but I kind of got the message that if you hadn't been through ponies, young riders etc and based yourself with a pro then you may as well not bother, which was a shame as the rest of the weekend was very inclusive. Please correct me guys!

Loved Ferdi and Michael's session to wrap up Saturday. The theme was moving up to small tour, and I loved the approach of playing with the exercises, encouraging the horse to play with his body and see what he was capable with but without a hint of pressure or stress. Still making corrections when needed, but all positive and keeping the horse motivated and interested.

Michael's horse naturally has what Ferdi describes as a long 'swooping' movement so his work needs to prioritise being responsive, manoeuvrable and developing lateral suppleness. He doesn't need to practice stretching but does a little as a reward.

To quicken the hindlegs in preparation for the pirouettes - your leg impulse must go slightly quicker than the horse's natural offering of rhythm.

There was a sensible discussion between Ferdi and Stephen about whether the poll must always be the highest point, or whether it was acceptable to see it dip slightly lower. The consensus was that we must look beyond the musculature to what the skeleton is doing. It's more about the quality of the contact and self carriage, and whether the hindquarters are lowering in relation to the forehand. A cresty neck can be deceptive. Stephen suggested x ray specs for the judges :lol:

The afternoon descended into fits of giggles afterwards following a question from the audience about saddles suitable for the male anatomy, fair to say the Eilbergs are good for a laugh :D

Sunday to follow in a new post, I think!

milliepops

Visit site
Sunday kicked off with the hotly anticipated 'Not Just The WBs' session with Stephen Clarke, looking at non-typical dressage horses.
First up was a lovely Fresian, who had a super rhythm in the trotwork but really demonstrated the relationship between uphill balance and engagement - the horse started out with hindlegs trailing and a bit overbend onto the forehand. As both carriage and engagement developed, the picture improved dramatically. It's something we can all *feel* while training in the saddle but that horse made it so obvious to the eye!

Followed by a luso, which began with a rather ordinary though correct trot, and developed cadence and expression through correct lateral work exercises. He began by offering passagey steps which Stephen was quick to correct. I was struck by his positive appraisal of this horse- clearly starting from the position of where he, as a judge, could award high marks but still picking out the weaknesses. We're so lucky to have him in this country, and at the pinnacle of international judging. A great influence in the sport.

Next was a coloured cob, which was correct in his paces but not through enough. A small adjustment from the rider to make a more elastic contact resulted in more elastic paces. Stephen noted that the action of the hindlegs became smoother and less jerky - THAT'S elastic.

He had an interesting exercise for the rider when the horse offered rather modest lengthened trot strides. He noticed that she took slightly with her inside hand while tapping the hindlegs with her whip, so he had her take both reins in the outside hand and 'worry' him slightly with the whip in the inside hand. Suddenly he whooshed off down the long side, much to the delight of the audience! "who dares, wins"

The Welshie was rather hot and nervous in the atmosphere, but gradually settled to the work. Stephen had the rider demonstrate some half passes, and remarked that the low mark that he would have to give had nothing to do with the breed or way of going, but because the rider undershot the centre line. A reminder to us all - accuracy is important!

Gareth Hughes was back again for the next session showing how they develop the 5 and 6 year olds. For me the key to this was making the basics really simple and really established. The horse should be able to trot and canter for himself, and stay straight, in balance, on a line etc without much intervention.
" If you don't keep the easy stuff simple, the hard stuff is impossible. " ;)

Also - The day he comes out and is on your aids is the day you improve his knowledge. When he comes out and isn't quite with you, then you work on your basics. And the basics of the young horse are different to the basics of the advanced horse.

Next was Stephen again, this time looking at how to improve scores in music tests. We looked at an Inter 1 freestyle which Stephen then beefed up significantly to increase the degree of difficulty score. Wowzers, what a huge ambitious floorplan - entering in 2 tempis before the first halt to set the tone! Quite different to the current fashion of creeping just into the boards and halting 2 feet from A, which Stephen mentioned he wasn't very impressed by ;)

In the afternoon David Hunt grabbed the attention straight away by saying he trained everyone as if they were going GP, not imposing limits on people.
His session was on developing international riders, so he started developing the half steps. For him, the horse must keep his mouth just above the level of the hip, otherwise when you half halt they tend to curl the neck over. One end of the horse must go down... you want it to be the quarters not the forehand :D

There was an interesting exercise preparing for the canter piris - travers down the long side,then continue travers round the turn onto the centre line, continue and turn onto the 3/4 line so each time you turn, you're making a tighter half circle which will eventually become a pirouette. This exercise encouraged the riders to ride a forward rhythm in the piris.

Then the tempis - he was quite firm on this. You have to ride every step of the tempis. A line of 4s is really just a load of individual changes. The horse has to stay together, on the line, on front of the rider etc. No point in riding a line of 4s just for the sake of it, for ego, if the quality of the basics drops off while doing so.

Again he was quite blunt on the subject of the 'show trot' which is hopefully beginning to die a death but he mentioned that he still saw a lot of overproduced trot in Sweden. "it's a sales product, and not what we are looking for". lots of applause from the audience.

There was an interesting interview with some of our Rio stars, who shared their experiences of the last Olympics.

Then the closing session was Ferdi again, this time with Maria on Royal Concert which must be a very exciting ride for her - endless talent.
He's quite an insecure horse, so Ferdi was keen that maria gave a positive influence to guide him - with those horses if the rider is too hesitant or backs off, the horse becomes even more insecure.

Developing the trot work - Expression always comes either through tension... or strength. In the test the expression should come from controlled energy of the hindleg which is based on the horses strength.

You have to adjust to each horse. If they want to do too much, you ask for a bit less. If they don't want to do enough, you ask for more. Ferdi asked Maria to ride a half powered extended trot when the horse offers too much and pushes himself slightly out of balance. He can do the enormous extensions when he has settled to her aids and she can help him more.

In an atmosphere charged environment, you have to be clear. The horse didn't like Maria putting her leg on so she gave a hesitant aid for a change and he missed it. You have to be brave enough to put your leg on even in those moments.

That's it! Lots and lots to chew over. But a brilliant 2 days, even if it was perishingly cold. Highly recommend the conventions to anyone with an interest in dressage - they are becoming better and better with each passing year IMO and there is something for everyone. You might not think the GP sessions are relevant if you are competing prelim, but there will be little details all over that apply at every level :D

milliepops

Visit site
No problem, all - I find if I don't jot things down then gradually they fade from the memory and it ends up being just 2 days sat watching ponies again, rather than a really informative weekend. I find that some of the gems are things you already know, but need reminding of, and some of it is proper new content that puts a different perspective on things. :)

Under-the-radar

Visit site
I really really enjoyed this convention. This is the 3rd one I have been to - I always enjoy it, but this was super to have such a range of horses and riders. I saw Stephen and Ferdi at the judges convention earlier in the year, so was really excited to see them again. They both have such a fascinating range of knowledge. I didn't really know what to expect from Gareth - but he was just superb - clear, concise and funny! David Hunt was fascinating - really like the exercise using the centre line and 1/4 lines in travers for work towards the pirouettes - but both my friend and I agreed we thought he would be quite a fierce trainer!

Watching Michael riding the 4yo on saturday morning was just lovely - and we particularly enjoyed the discussion of saddles for men on saturday afternoon lol.

For anyone who hasn't been to the BD Convention - you so should totally go. There are always a million really helpful things you can take away from each one

milliepops

Visit site
IDavid Hunt was fascinating - really like the exercise using the centre line and 1/4 lines in travers for work towards the pirouettes - but both my friend and I agreed we thought he would be quite a fierce trainer!

Oh yes, me too! I think one of my friends used to train with him,I will ask her ;)

I came out of Gareth's changes session wanting to phone him immediately to ask for lessons :eek:

monte1

Visit site
Really great report, enjoyed reading it very much, I would never have dreamed of considering going to this as we are still really at the prelim/novice level, but it sounds from your report like it would be useful and interesting for everyone, thank you :)

milliepops

Visit site
Really great report, enjoyed reading it very much, I would never have dreamed of considering going to this as we are still really at the prelim/novice level, but it sounds from your report like it would be useful and interesting for everyone, thank you :)

Oh definitely. On the face of it, watching the big tour sessions you could say that's not relevant to prelim/novice - but look behind the fancy work and you see they are still working on the basic scales of training that we all have to start with.

Plus there's almost always some young horses, young riders, and a fair bit of focus on elementary level work as well as the higher stuff, so all of that is relevant to grass roots levels & those aspiring to go further :)

star

Visit site
Thanks for that. Sounds like I should have gone! Sounds very useful especially for me! Currently blind leading the blind trying to teach my poor horse to do PSG when I've never ridden at the level!

star

Visit site
Get some help?

Thanks for that gem. I have two wonderful regular trainers. Doesn't mean I can't learn more from other people. Have trained my horse from Prelim to PSG and got points on our first outing at PSG so not exactly doing badly. I can just do with all the help I can get as never ridden at this level before.

j1ffy

Visit site
Thank you MilliePops - I hadn't considered going but having read that and watched the videos on the BD Facebook page I'd definitely like to sign up next year! It looked both fun and informative.

Matafleur

Visit site
Thanks for the brilliant write up, I'm gutted I couldn't go as it sounds like there was a lot of very relevant and accessible stuff :)

I had 2 lessons with Ferdi at BD camp a couple of weeks ago, he was brilliant and made small changes that made a big difference. I found him to be a very horse friendly trainer in the same way I think Cristoph Hess always seems to be.

CoachinaCar

Visit site
It was a great Convention, I have been going for years and enjoyed both the old format and this one. A couple of people have said the pony section came across as needing money to do it, have to say that was lost on me I just enjoyed watching a good trainer working with two talented riders.

David Hunt was my favourite, so clear and concise and getting such a good tune from an ordinary horse, knowing exactly what he wanted and how the rider would achieve it.

To be honest they were all good but Gareths flying change session would come in second for me followed by Stephen who is always just so good and is the same regardless of who he is talking to or working with.

We have some serious talent in this country as trainers and riders. Well done BD.

Bernster

Visit site
Interesting read, thanks for posting. I kind of feel I'm too low level for this as we're not even competing yet and even then will only be at unaff level, but sounds like some little gems in there. Maybe I'm lacking ambition and should pull my socks up!!

HeresHoping

Visit site
Thank you Milliepops. Am printing your report off - we're unlikely to ever ride higher than elementary - we're both too old and kaput - but we can always pretend we're likely to do a canter piri sometime (we'll start with working on more than 3 steps of canter travers :D). Actually, have done nothing this year so basics is a better place to start.

Some very useful stuff indeed.

Thank you again.

milliepops

Visit site
Interesting read, thanks for posting. I kind of feel I'm too low level for this as we're not even competing yet and even then will only be at unaff level, but sounds like some little gems in there. Maybe I'm lacking ambition and should pull my socks up!!

hehe, well it depends what you want, but I would say don't be put off by thinking it'd be above you, it's not like there are any entry qualifications! Everyone is made to feel very welcome and we are all there to learn stuff. There is always plenty that is applicable to all levels.... and I enjoy seeing the work that is just out of my reach currently, because it inspires me to work harder :) It's also always interesting to see the styles of the different trainers, for me this is an advantage over the old format where they had one visiting trainer who led the whole weekend.

Thank you Milliepops. Am printing your report off - we're unlikely to ever ride higher than elementary - we're both too old and kaput - but we can always pretend we're likely to do a canter piri sometime (we'll start with working on more than 3 steps of canter travers :D). Actually, have done nothing this year so basics is a better place to start.

Some very useful stuff indeed.

Thank you again.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Oh crikey!
Glad people have found it useful or interesting, and if it encourages more people to toddle along to the convention then all the better, it's a good day out :)

dornrose

Visit site

I thought that might be the case myself, I'm competing at Intro/Prelim and a very basic rider but was surprised by how much I actually got out of it. The Opener on Sunday Morning "Not just about the Warmbloods" was good - but I would have liked to have seen some British Natives in there (not just the lovely Welsh sec D and the traveller's cob) but maybe - Dales/Highland/Cleveland's something that would really promote some of our near extinct breeds.

Milliepops has given a very good thorough report.