Rescue experiences

Horsekaren

Visit site
Not for now but for once the world looks more normal :)
Has anyone took on a rescue which is ridden or was ready to brought on. I’d love to hear stories of the good and the bad, what did you overcome? Where are you now? Pictures of before and after a would be lovely to see.
One of my biggest fears looking at horses is being duped and lied too by owners and dealers. It’s happened before and seeing some horses really did knock my confidence as a novice hack which ended up bolting down a busy dual carriage way without a rider wasn’t what was advertised.
I know rescue horses will need time and patience, I wondering if something with the right attitude, help and time could be worth considering.
Has anyone taken on a younger rescue and then worked on the ground, then sent them off for backing ( I know exactly who i would reach out to and needless to say the horse would be broken by the best and correctly, I would also be quiet hands on in the process not drop and run off )

basically curious to hear about your stories and experiences whilst I’m in thinking about he future mode :)

Horsekaren

Visit site
Haven't personally done it but would think coming from a reputable rescue which does its best to match loanee to horse you stand a better chance than gambling on a total unknown.
I’ve never really thought about it before but exactly as you say, centres will be honest and be wanting to find the right homes. When I think about strawberry he was very thin, full of behaviour issues, nervous, rude ect when I brought him and then the hidden issues of the neurological problems appeared. Starting to wonder is there really much difference between rescues and purchasing horses that had a bad start or been passed about ect ... I clearly have very little trust in humans lol

Flicker

Visit site
Former livery at our yard took one on, from a very good local charity. Horse was a bit of a twit. Not his fault: he and his dam were neglected and by the time they were rescued he was past the trainable age. The charity did well to back him and he was rideable, just very spooky, lacked all common sense, every time off the yard was like the first time, no sense of personal space on the ground etc... more irritating than dangerous but I’m glad he wasn’t mine. I personally wouldn’t do it because I don’t have the knowledge or resources to deal with a bucketful of issues, which you have a fairly good chance of getting with a rescue. But I have enormous admiration for people who do, provided they can deliver the care the animal needs.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Do you mean one that has already been rehabilitated ie from a rescue centre, or rescuing one yourself? If you mean the latter, then I wouldnt go down that route unless you are vastly experienced, with good facilities, and it goes without saying that you could spend thousands and thousands on veterinary care (I'm honestly not exaggerating).
If you're looking at rehoming one from a charity, then hopefully it would be healthy. But you say you were looking at a novice hack so would you have the experience to bring one on? Do please go into this with your eyes wide open as there is real potential for great expense and heartache.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
My rule for myself is that I'll only take on (buy/loan or re home) something that is already doing exactly what I would want to do with it. So if you want a happy hacker, make sure the horse you're looking at does exactly that already, roughly the same number of times a week, same distance, same intensity as you would be hoping to do. Of course many horse are very adaptable with competent handling, but if you yourself are not the most confident, then I wouldn't take on anything from anywhere with the hopes thatit will adjust to what you want. (Sorry if I totally missed the point of your question!)

Becc

Visit site
I’ve rehomed a horse from Bransby. I’ve had him just over a year now and he was 7 when I got him. He’d been backed, had basic schooling and hacked out before I took him on. He was a foal when he was rescued so had spent most of his life at Bransby, so maybe isn’t a typical rescue in terms of remembering any abuse or neglect. He’s got a lovely nature, is so friendly and willing to learn. But, he is a cheeky cob and I’ve learnt that I do have to be firm with him to set the boundaries. The advantage is that Bransby will always take horses back if you don’t get on with them or if your circumstances change. They have a thorough procedure to go through including a riding assessment before they see if you match the horse you have applied for. They also check where you’re going to keep them to make sure it’s suitable and then following on from rehoming they visit every 6 months. They’re also always on hand for advice if you need it. I love having a Bransby pony and am proud to go out competing at BD quest under the Bransby name. And we’ve achieved a lot in the past year which I didn’t expect. So yes, there are some fantastic horses to be rehomed, but I was just in the right place at the right time finding mine as he was suited to what I wanted to do riding wise.

Kaylum

Visit site
Rehome from a reputable rescue and they will have been quarantined fully vet checked with bloods taken, vaccinated, chipped, passported, dentist, farrier and anything else that's needed. I think this is the best way to do things as if you rehome one that's room for another. But if you are doing it that way check they are a member of the newc they have standards they should adhere to.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I've never aquired a horse from a rescue, so take this with as many blocks of salt as you like. I've read your trials and tribulations with Strawberry, so I get where you're coming from, but I don't think a rescue is the definitive way to head off similar issues with a new horse. At the end of the day, nothing is, because owning horses can sometimes just suck. The main advantage of a rescue is that many will take horses back, whereas if you buy one, it's your problem for the rest of its life. But while rescues may get straightforward horses who end up at the rescue through no fault of their own (owner drops dead or can't afford or whatever), they often don't. If you can genuinely sell a horse for real money, you do. You just do. I've sold useful horses, and no way in hell would they have ended up at a rescue, because they were lovely, relatively uncomplicated sellable horses. I could get a reasonable chunk of cash for those horses. Which is a totally cold, pragmatic way to look at it, but it's how you play the game. Sadly, a lot of horses (not all) who end up at rescues have physical and/or behavioural issues that make them a tough sell on the open market. For example. a friend got one off World Horse Welfare which was meant to be a sweet, beginner ride, but it bucked her off a couple times, and it ended up being diagnosed with kissing spines and unridable. WHW offered to take it back, but my friend was very happy keeping her as a pet and isn't that fussed about riding, so it worked out. But if you're seriously after something you can ride, I would look at the open market first.

rextherobber

Visit site
Hasn't Milliepops got a couple? (Sorry if I've got the wrong person.) I think it's a really good idea. Also Homes4Horses maybe worth a look?

Horsekaren

Visit site
I was thinking about one of the reputable charities so there is the guidance and security there. Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t be able to take on something that is too damaged and in need of a more knowledgable home but I’m sure I could offer a good home If there was something suitable.

Just one of the avenues to explore :)
On another note In terms of searching for a horse to buy ( again not now) where are good places to look, any dealers that are recommended? What budget is realistic for a straightforward been there done it horse 15hh plus, not too old, not too young ect ( I know straightforward contradicts the rescue idea but if I’m paying and not saving I don’t want a project)

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Hasn't Milliepops got a couple? (Sorry if I've got the wrong person.) I think it's a really good idea. Also Homes4Horses maybe worth a look?
Yes I have. My 2 came from HAPPA. I've had Millie for 16 years now, she was 7 when I took her on and at that point she was backed and hacking. I had the advantage of working at the centre though so I had got to know her really well over a couple of years and started her training myself ;)

She was like any other green horse at that stage, having been in their care since she was a youngster. We are 100% compatible, while not always easy she was just a fabulous horse and is now wreaking havoc in retirement.
Her buddy is a horse I also trained a bit while I worked there, and she then spent her prime time in a couple of competitive/pony club type homes.

They are out there... but not that common, many people want a rideable horse from a charity so you need to jump through the hoops. If you wanted a scrappy 12hh pony I think you'd get one tomorrow but you may find yourself joining a waiting list to be matched with something 15hh that you'll be able to ride.

Definitely worth thinking about but the other downside (for me) is that they are never yours. I'm still required to do 6 monthly inspections and pay an annual borrowers fee which is a constant reminder of that fact. Of course it gives you a safety net if your life changes or you dont get on with the horse. I think the RSPCA are the exception as they transfer ownership after a while .

Trouper

Visit site
The main horse charities are great and others have pointed out the benefits. A smaller charity like Hopton Re-hab and Re-homing (Shropshire) though is a halfway house in some ways as they take in horses that owners cannot keep but that still have a working life in front of them. Same rules apply - horse belongs to them for life and can be returned if your circumstances change so you have that security. Worth having a look at their website.

S.AAnderson

Visit site
A little late to the party but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents!

We took on a rescue horse end of last year, he was a starvation case from the drought (I'm in Oz). I can say hands down he has been the most expensive horse I have EVER owned in my life (even after just 6 months!!). Despite him being a 'freebie' we have pumped literally thousands of dollars into his rehabilitation. His weight gain has been meticulously managed by our nutritionist and vet, at the start he wasn't allowed any hard feed and was being fed 12kg of hay PER DAY!! His recovery has been slow but without any hiccups, thankfully.

We are now at the point of bringing him back into work but his future as a ridden horse is still unknown. I'm taking each week as it comes but currently he is in walk work under saddle (fingers crossed). He hasn't been ridden in 6 years, so it is like we are starting from scratch. He has quite bad ground manners and acts like a bit of a brute at times, I could see if I wasn't confident he would walk all over me.

He does have a heart murmur, atrial fibrillation and is a roarer- so his use will be limited to happy hacking with some low level dressage. A lot of rescue horses have performance limiting ailments.

I have frequent wobbles when I question WTH I am doing, but I don't begrudge any of the money I have spent on his recovery. If he can't be ridden again then we will retire him up the coast for 6 months to enjoy the grass & make the hard call after. The fact he wasn't left to die a horrible death in his paddock makes this all worthwhile.

Unless I win the lottery I don't think I will be rescuing another horse any time soon :D

teddypops

Visit site
Get from a reputable rescue centre and you should get something suitable. I had a Connemara x Arab gelding from one. He had been very successful showjumping, but then left to starve with his field companions. When one died, the other 2 were rescued. He was skin and bone, full of lice, terrible feet & teeth and had a massive wound on his withers. He had no issues at all and was a lovely, kind boy who anyone could ride (except on fun rides!!). I had him for 15 years and just had to have him pts at Christmas when he hurt his neck.

HeyMich

Visit site
We have just taken on a rescue pony for my son to ride. She a fantastic wee thing, and hasn't been mistreated or neglected at all, but her owner donated her to the rehoming centre so as to ensure a suitable home and lifelong care. I guess sometimes it's not about the money.

Lacuna

Visit site
I have had my Blue Cross Captain for over 5 years now and have had ownership transferred for 2 years.

I thought was looking for a 15hh (ish) schoolmaster/hacker and after talking to a friend fired off an enquiry/application form to the local BC centre. They asked if I fancied a 14hh coblet who was a project but a solid hacker as he was already nannying the babies round the farm.

Went and tried him and he was delivered the following week. Great support from the charity and he is my dude. Only thing I would say is you may have to look harder if you are wanting something not native/cob or tb as they seem to be the most common types.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I had a lovely experience loaning from Bransby, supportive and helpful even when it came to the difficult decision at they end they were great.

I had a less than good experience with one of the other large national charities (already mentioned here), the horse wasn't in work when i took him on and when he started v low level he became lame - they got nasty when I tried to return him without going down the £££'s lameness work up route.

My perception is that they had found what I did previously and wanted some mug (me) to fund big vet investigations which is why they had loaned him out. Their response when I called to discuss it was very telling. My qualified physio said starting vet investigations would open a can of worms in an effectively unridden horse his age (10) most of which weren't likely to be easy to resolve so better he was a companion than put through vet process.

I had him maybe 5 weeks and it cost me £1k in rehoming fees and paying them to transport him here. So it's still loaner beware even from big charities.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
In my younger days there was a place not too far from me where a man bought horses and ponies from auctions and they were held in a big field then most were taken to Turner's slaughterhouse. It was possible to look round them and almost anything was for sale for meat money. I had a couple of ponies from there which I put in harness and sold on. I didn't have any problems with the ones I got. There were some sad cases there though, hat-racks and very old animals. I remember a beautiful Highland pony which I would have loved to have bought if he had not had the most horrible sandcrack in one foot.

Last edited:

Lintel

Visit site
I have a WHW companion and I'm currently on the lookout for a ridden/potential from them.

My experience from WHW has been overwhelming positive so I would really recommend them to rehome from ?

WHWMo

Visit site
As my username suggests, I have a pony from WHW. I rehomed her 4 years ago and have nothing but positive things to say about them. She was a typical case, emaciated on arrival with a foal at foot but despite her difficult start, she’s got such a lovely temperament. Loads and travels beautifully, good to shoe, for the vet, dentist etc and we’re working on clipping! I would only rehome from charities in the future as I really support what they are trying to achieve and like how professional they are. I will say though, I am a very unambitious rider who is lucky enough(?!) to be able to ride ponies as happy hacks, on beach rides etc. As has been said before, if you want a 16hh WB to event with you’d be stretched to find one from a charity.

They are very thorough with matching people to horses and I like the security of knowing I can return her if my circumstances ever changed. Reading the buying and selling threads on here give me the shivers!

Having said all that though, they quite frequently have 14hh ish all rounder ponies on their website, they just go very quickly so you have to monitor it closely. Good luck if you decide to go for it! I would wait for after the summer as most of their ridden horses had to have a break from work during COVID and they will probably like to start them up again slowly!

Flame_

Visit site
I think the RSPCA are the exception as they transfer ownership after a while .

I have a pony that belonged to the RSPCA. He was rehomed to a woman, given to another woman, then sold to me if the story is true. He's a good mate/ sidekick/ victim for my arab and isn't overly keen on being much more than that which is fine. I don't know what, if indeed anything, bad happened to him but he's quite a wary, uptight little dude with people. ETA I might send him to boot camp, but haven't really had the motivation. I think there are perhaps easier routes to go down if you'd like a straightforward riding horse.

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think there are perhaps easier routes to go down if you'd like a straightforward riding horse.
that much is certain.
A friend of mine has one from the RSPCA, though she got him direct from them. He has been a challenge to say the least.

paddi22

Visit site
I retrain rescues and the success of your project would depend on the temperament of the horse and it's suitability for what you what you wanted it to do.

if you are a nervous rider a youngster is never a good idea unless it's a total pet of a thing. every youngster will go through a stroppy phase at some stage. and the sweetest skinniest rescues can still turn into a stroppy boisterous opinionated nappy/ rearing git at times.

it's brilliant that you want to get a rescue and they can be a fantastic project with enough professional help when needed and also realistic expectations, but you sound like you know that. sometimes though you can spend years developing them and they develop into something you didn't expect. I've one pony that came in very shut down and quiet and I had assumed would be a low level happy hacker kids pony and she just blossomed and is now a very quirky, very-blood eventer aiming at a one star pony international's in two years time. another I had assumed would be an eventer but is looking like he will be a pure dressage horse.

so it's really a cause of giving the horse all the support it needs and being prepared for it to turn into it's own character. it is very very rewarding though, but the rehomers who do struggle with it are the ones who
- end up with a horse with a temperament they didn't expect
- expect the horse to be some kind of angel who is eternally grateful for being rescued
- have one horse on livery and end up getting resentful when the horse isn't ridable as soon as they expected
- end up with a horse that isn't suitable for what they want it to do.
- don't get professional help and end up in a spiral of behavioural problems

it's a really really rewarding process and with the right help people get fantastic results.