Research help please :)

Visit site
I am doing some research for a course I am doing and was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer the following questions for my research? If so, please would you message me or comment below your answers? Much appreciated!

What do you expect from a livery yard?

Are you DIY, Part, Full or other?

If DIY, do you solely do everything yourself or do you pay the livery yard for extras?

If DIY, would you change to full or part if there were extras/perks offered which made things better for you?

Would an individual person & equine tailored livery package be of interest to you?

Do you have a monthly budget for your horse costs? Yes/No

Would you be happy if there was limited turnout but a horse walker where the horses were both turned out and used the walker each day?

Do you think livery yards should be open to what farrier and trainers come to the yard?

How much do you currently pay for livery and what county are you in?

Thank you!

DD

Visit site
Not DIY. assisted or full. any farrier or trainer. limited turn out? depends what this means. 2 hours on half an acre No. 10 hours in a decent field with companions then yes. preferably overnight. brought in in the morning to be worked and if not worked then a leg stretch on the horse walker.

ihatework

Visit site
Safe secure facilities that are available to use as advertised when signing contract. Facilities dependant on needs, so highly variable. YO/YM who has sensible rules and applies them fairly.

Varies.
Currently 2 horses on full - 1 competition, 1 breaking. Last year one was DIY and one was stud.

If DIY, do you solely do everything yourself or do you pay the livery yard for extras?
When on DIY majority myself. Would use service as hoc or exchange favours.

If DIY, would you change to full or part if there were extras/perks offered which made things better for you?
Yes

Would an individual person & equine tailored livery package be of interest to you?
Yes

No

Would you be happy if there was limited turnout but a horse walker where the horses were both turned out and used the walker each day?
Not really. Depends on definition of limited. I’d accept it for a working horse provided they got out for a couple of hours most days and there was a bring in service if DIY.
Do you think livery yards should be open to what farrier and trainers come to the yard?
Yes definitely

Wilts/Gloucs
DIY - £200pcm incl hay & bedding
Full - £175 pw
Breaking - £220 pw
Stud - £75 pcm (mates rates)

Thank you!

BOWS28

Visit site
I am doing some research for a course I am doing and was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer the following questions for my research? If so, please would you message me or comment below your answers? Much appreciated!

I would expect friendly staff. Well maintained facilities and personally i need access to small services, i.e turning out bringing in if needed.

DIY

I do everything myself other than bringing in from the field of an afternoon, as i work full time. Also if weather is awful and the horses stay in, i request my girl goes on the walker, which is done by the yard staff.

Personally, no. I am fussy, so would have an issue with standing by and letting something take sole care for my horse whilst i swanned off just to ride!

Potentially if my work circumstances changed which made me alot less flexible than i am now.

Not really. My livery bill is different each month (depending on how many weeks pcm and how many services i use)
Also, routine visits from professionals i.e farrier, back lady, saddle fitter etc all come at different times and cost various amounts!

We have limited turnout throughout the winter (we are based on low group so flooding is an issue), but have the use of a horse walker and all weather, woodchip turn out area so i would say i'm happy with this arrangement.

Yes! Everyone has their own personal preferences. I don't believe you should all be restricted to a trainer/farrier that may not work for everyone!

I am in Essex and pay £35 per week DIY, + £20pm muck removal plus services.

Thank you!

Nayumi1

Visit site
Safe place for both humans/horses, good turnout fields for horses and good facilities for use. Ideally a sensible YO/YM too :)

DIY

We pay extra to have mornings during the week done.

No I actually enjoy doing things myself

Not at the moment

Yes

No my horse prefers turn out

Ideally yes as not every trainer/farrier suits each person.

£130pm + Hay/Bedding etc
West Yorkshire

SEL

Visit site

What do you expect from a livery yard? - To give me the service I am paying for, to ensure my horse's needs are met within that service and to supply sufficiently experienced staff. To ensure facilities are maintained to an appropriate standard

Are you DIY, Part, Full or other? DIY

If DIY, do you solely do everything yourself or do you pay the livery yard for extras? Myself, but technically I'm on assisted so they will turn out for me. If I can't do the horses due to holiday etc then they will charge me for that.

If DIY, would you change to full or part if there were extras/perks offered which made things better for you? No

Would an individual person & equine tailored livery package be of interest to you? No

Do you have a monthly budget for your horse costs? Yes/No No

Would you be happy if there was limited turnout but a horse walker where the horses were both turned out and used the walker each day? Definitely not - both my horses have arthritis and a horse walker is not appropriate to them

Do you think livery yards should be open to what farrier and trainers come to the yard? Not sure I understand the question. I think owner should choose farrier / trainer, but yard can check appropriate insurance is in place

How much do you currently pay for livery and what county are you in? Ox / Bucks borders. Around here part is £65 per week (inc straw, hay). DIY is £55. Not sure on full livery prices because it depends on yard and services offered. Very basic with nothing apart from stable and a paddock is around £35 per week.

Thank you!

planete

Visit site

A safe environment and knowledgeable staff. Good hacking and schooling facilities.

Part

No

Do you have a monthly budget for your horse costs? Yes

Definitely not.

Yes

£650 a month. Hampshire.

(My answers come from my experience of livery before I retired my horse.)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Safe, secure facilities, sensible YO, sensible rules. Basically I want to know my horses will be safe and there won't be any yard dramas, and that I can continue to ride and train them as I choose, that if there is a problem in my absence it will be dealt with, no random changes to arrangements without prior discussion.

Until last week was 100% DIY, now assisted DIY

Previously I did everything myself. Now I have some services included (turn out, bring in, give hay/feed prepared in advance)

I wouldn't want to give up any more of the care than I have already. I have horses because I like looking after them and tbh if a full livery client had access to more facilities etc than I did that would be a turn off.

I'm not quite sure what this means? I have a very flexible work/life balance so just normal packages work fine.

Yes, ish. I've just doubled the budget (gulp) but couldn't really take much more and have had to make cutbacks elsewhere to accommodate this

No, don't like walkers really.

Yes, definitely, I would steer clear of a yard that dictated which professionals could go there.

Until last week, Herefordshire DIY £25pw
Now Gloucestershire £54pw assisted DIY

olderridercg

Visit site

Thank you!
Hi. Is your research just about owners on livery yards or can we comment on what we would want if we used a livery yard? what is the research for - a course assignment? What will you do with the information you collect? Just curious :)

Visit site
Hi. Is your research just about owners on livery yards or can we comment on what we would want if we used a livery yard? what is the research for - a course assignment? What will you do with the information you collect? Just curious :)

It’s open to all! If you don’t have a horse anymore, still have one, keep horses at home and what you would expect etc :)
It’s for an assignment and it’s for the topic if chosen which is Gaps in the Livery Market and Is there room for improvement?
Research Iv got so far through social media and questionnaires Iv handed out is showing a few patterns already and it’s quite interesting!
Thank you :)

be positive

Visit site

I am a YO but thought my answers would be valid.

The YO to provide the service they say they will, to listen to their clients and maintain a safe yard that has the horses welfare at the top of the priority list.

Are you DIY, Part, Full or other? NA

If DIY, do you solely do everything yourself or do you pay the livery yard for extras? N/A I do a flexible livery to suit the owner based on part livery.

I do offer this and have liveries on a deal that works for them.

Do you have a monthly budget for your horse costs? Yes/No N/A

No I do not like restricting turn out unless the weather is exceptionally bad, I think that on many yards they use the walker and stop turn out far too frequently because it is less work to pop them on a walker than to deal with muddy rugs and legs.
Mine are out 24/7 from as early in the spring as possible until as late as possible usually late Nov/ early Dec, this winter has been so dry I still have 2 liveries living out because it suits their needs. I don't have a walker but do have a school with a decent surface so they can be exercised properly.

Probably but as I usually deal with the farrier I prefer them to use mine so I know what is going on, I train my liveries generally but they can bring someone else in if they want to.

How much do you currently pay for livery and what county are you in? N/A as my charges vary depending on the package. Somerset

Thank you!