Restricted access to footpaths

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
A lot of the footpaths round me run through farms. During lockdown a lot of them have been blocked off with signs everywhere saying 'Covid risk. Do not come through here. ' or whatever.

Firstly no-one else can stop people walking past their house - and a footpath through a farm is further away from the actual farm house than normal roads are past any other houses. And secondly we are no longer locked down anyway, but none of the paths have re-opened.

Is this happening elsewhere? These are not official closures - just home made notices. And sometimes padlocks on gates. I am quite tempted to ignore the signs but I am not sure of the rules. I assume the public have a right to be on footpaths?

TIA

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
We've not had those issues here but then again we don't have to ride on tracks that run through people's land.

Do these tracks require you to open/close gates? If so perhaps they are worried about surface contamination? Or just the fact that the countryside seems so much busier now have driven them to this.

I can see it would be annoying but these are exceptional circumstances so I'd be inclined to find alternative routes if possible? Or can you speak to the landowners?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
During the lockdown period I respected their wishes and went elsewhere. But it does now seem to just be an excuse to stop people walking through their land. There is simply no real transmission risk by walking past a farm house. They are considerably safer on a farm than in town, walking past neighbours and others walking down the road on their way from A to B.

If they are worried about gates, they can very easily sanitise their own gates when they use them if a lot of people have walked through. They don't need to worry about other people's risk and they can easily manage their own risk.

Griffin

Visit site
If they are public rights of way, my understanding is that they cannot be blocked, despite Covid-19. Obviously, you have to stick to the route (otherwise you may end up trespassing) but you have the right to pass.

You need to find the definitive map for your county/unitary authority's rights of way (this should be found on their website or by Google). Then you can usually report an obstruction.

If it is a private right of way is different because it is not considered a 'highway', whereas a public right of way is.

rextherobber

Visit site
My field has a footpath running along on side, it was used far more than usual during lockdown. It has stiles and kissing gates, people presumably are aware of the contamination risk, and would avoid touching/wear gloves etc. the same as you would out shopping. It would not have occurred to me to try to close it, I would assume I would have to apply for permission to do so from my local council.

Roxylola

Visit site
I'd be using them - if you dont use them you'll lose them. None of ours have been shut, including the one next to the horses field, and believe me if we could have closed that it would have been

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
some footpaths round here were closed (sections of offa's dyke being ones I remember because i walk and ride on bits of it often so follow the FB page etc). but that was by the welsh govt rather than just individuals. i think I'd get in touch with the council ROW dept and see what they say.

bonny

Visit site
Considering one of the few things we were allowed to do at the height of the lockdown was go for a walk it’s outrageous that anyone would try to restrict access to footpaths. I would just ignore the signs, they are meaningless and I would be tempted to remove them if I could.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
It’s totally illegal and as you say mostly because they don’t like people on their land full stop. Always makes me laugh when people equate it to their garden. The public pavement runs about a cars length from my front door. I haven’t blocked it off though!

bonny

Visit site
Lots of additional barriers and signs have appeared around us due to the number of idiots who had never been out of town in their life, who came, littered, damaged and caused trouble during lockdown.
The world is now full of barriers and signs, we can’t do anything without being directed it seems. Signs trying to stop access to rights of way though deserve to be ignored. Litter etc is a separate issue.

sport horse

Visit site
We have footpaths across our farm and you cannot block them even during Covid. I did have to put a sign on one path reminding people to shut the gates and not touch or feed the horses. I do not think many people can read though, as it had not the slightest effect - we just had to keep running and closing gates when we saw walkers and cyclists.
One group even managed to divert from the path and shut a horse between the gates of a double fence that was not even on a right of way. Brilliant, I doubt I could fit the horse in there myself and it was trapped for two hours on a blazing hot day. The litter is another complete subject but obviously all these visitors have servants to clear up after them at home.
You wonder why landowners are not always sympathetic to footpath users?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I have checked on a map. These are marked as footpaths. There are 2 farms both within a mile of me that I used to walk round very regularly as it avoided the need to drive or go on roads. So I will report them. Both farms have tethered dog who bark furiously and hurl themselves to the ends of the chain. Not to mention pretty aggressive geese. So in the past I have been glad the dogs were not loose. I am slightly anxious that they may not be tethering their dogs if they have padlocked their gates!

Leandy

Visit site
No they can't generally close a footpath even for COVID reasons so you are entitled to ignore those signs. BUT this happened around us and I have a lot of sympathy for the landowners, often elderly and therefore vulnerable to COVID. From their perspective, and I know two of them, their peaceful, safe, rural properties suddenly felt a good deal less safe than previously and rightly so because the risks for them increased. All reported a significant increase in walkers, many of whom were clearly not used to walking in the countryside and whether through ignorance or getting lost just wandered everywhere, often knocking on farmhouse doors and asking for directions or whatever, climbing over and breaking fences, leaving litter. So for those home owners the situation became more unsafe, there were more people around, touching more things than was the case pre lockdown. Some were justifiably scared by that and felt besieged in their own homes. Would you want to feel you had to stay inside on your own property due to the number of random strangers walking over your land when in ordinary times on a normal day there is almost noone around?

bonny

Visit site
No they can't generally close a footpath even for COVID reasons so you are entitled to ignore those signs. BUT this happened around us and I have a lot of sympathy for the landowners, often elderly and therefore vulnerable to COVID. From their perspective, and I know two of them, their peaceful, safe, rural properties suddenly felt a good deal less safe than previously and rightly so because the risks for them increased. All reported a significant increase in walkers, many of whom were clearly not used to walking in the countryside and whether through ignorance or getting lost just wandered everywhere, often knocking on farmhouse doors and asking for directions or whatever, climbing over and breaking fences, leaving litter. So for those home owners the situation became more unsafe, there were more people around, touching more things than was the case pre lockdown. Some were justifiably scared by that and felt besieged in their own homes. Would you want to feel you had to stay inside on your own property due to the number of random strangers walking over your land when in ordinary times on a normal day there is almost noone around?
Non of that is relevant to trying to close off rights of way and certainly now the virus just doesn’t come into the equation. There are vulnerable people everywhere and you can’t have anyone saying no one can come anywhere near my property. No one is that vulnerable anyway !

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Leandy I accepted all that during lockdown and I stayed away. But while Covid is still obviously with us, lockdown has been lifted. Those excessive numbers of walkers have vanished and they will be back to a few people a day who live nearby and know where they are going. But they seem to be deciding to string the restricted access out as long as they can. Which I can imagine is very tempting! But there is no longer any justication for it so it needs to stop I think.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
It is completely illegal to prevent members of the public from using a Public Right of Way even during the Coronavirus Pandemic. If any of the routes you use are locked then contact the Access Officers at your local County Council and ask them to get the notices and obstructions removed. In the event of them having issues then they can always pass the matter on to the Enforcement Officer to take legal action against the landowner/farmer concerned.

Pedantic

Visit site
Just an excuse, but can be understandable, right at the worst time, total muppets along our stretch of fields, litter and wipes and masks, hands all over fences gates, kids hanging around who blatantly were not from the same households, one group of lads actually spitting, I was unlocking our gate to get horse in, small child came that close in my face I could smell their breath, I looked at the parents with a "REALLY" expression, nothing, thick as shit, so its no surprise that this sort of thing occurs.

Last edited:

Leandy

Visit site
Leandy I accepted all that during lockdown and I stayed away. But while Covid is still obviously with us, lockdown has been lifted. Those excessive numbers of walkers have vanished and they will be back to a few people a day who live nearby and know where they are going. But they seem to be deciding to string the restricted access out as long as they can. Which I can imagine is very tempting! But there is no longer any justication for it so it needs to stop I think.

I don't disagree, was just explaining the perspective. Different people are experiencing the COVID thing differently and we all need to be kind.

Leandy

Visit site
Non of that is relevant to trying to close off rights of way and certainly now the virus just doesn’t come into the equation. There are vulnerable people everywhere and you can’t have anyone saying no one can come anywhere near my property. No one is that vulnerable anyway !

No but they can feel very vulnerable, that is the point. I wasn't saying the reasons were lawful, just that fear (justified or not) may be behind some people's actions. Be kind.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
All coast paths and stretches of footpaths were legally shut during lockdown. As soon as lockdown ended the paths were reopened, except for those on land were shielding was taking place that took a walker close to a property.

TheMule

Visit site
It’s totally illegal and as you say mostly because they don’t like people on their land full stop. Always makes me laugh when people equate it to their garden. The public pavement runs about a cars length from my front door. I haven’t blocked it off though!

I own a field with a footpath running up through it. It is fully fenced in to protect the walkers from the horses and vice versa, but to me this IS my garden. It is my land, I bought it, I look after it with more love and care than I do my garden and it really angers me when a small minority of others treat it as their god given right to do what they like. They climb over my gates and through my fence, they let their dogs break the fencing and run through the field, even letting them get in my water troughs (that the horses then have to drink out of). They leave dog crap wherever it lands and don’t care about throwing litter on the floor.
I haven’t, and never would block it off, but I did get cross with a few people who took some of the above liberties during lockdown. You can not compare someone's private land to a public pavement.

Nari

Visit site
No but they can feel very vulnerable, that is the point. I wasn't saying the reasons were lawful, just that fear (justified or not) may be behind some people's actions. Be kind.

But people may be using these paths as a way to get out somewhere relatively safe and relieve their own anxiety - be kind works both ways. For example my dad had a shielding letter but a few months in started getting increasingly frequent and severe migraines. Spoke to the family doctor who said it was very probably due to being cooped up inside - he's been an active outdoor man all his life - and to get out for some walks in quiet places where he could stay away from people. Footpaths etc were ideal and it would have been even harder for him if the local ones had been locked or blocked.

You know there are rights of way across your land and exactly where they are before you buy it, you can't then decide you feel unsafe and lock or block them.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I own a field with a footpath running up through it. It is fully fenced in to protect the walkers from the horses and vice versa, but to me this IS my garden. It is my land, I bought it, I look after it with more love and care than I do my garden and it really angers me when a small minority of others treat it as their god given right to do what they like. They climb over my gates and through my fence, they let their dogs break the fencing and run through the field, even letting them get in my water troughs (that the horses then have to drink out of). They leave dog crap wherever it lands and don’t care about throwing litter on the floor.
I haven’t, and never would block it off, but I did get cross with a few people who took some of the above liberties during lockdown. You can not compare someone's private land to a public pavement.
Well obviously I don’t condone people abusing the countryside and rant about it plenty myself. I routinely pick up rubbish and dog poo bags when out walking as I can’t bear it. Sadly we all have to put up with other people’s bad behaviour though. I had a woman let her dog shit on my garden path the other day as I was waiting to turn into my parking space. She didn’t pick it up even though she was literally in front of me so I stopped her and asked her to pick it up and she told me to get a life!

Summit

Visit site
Considering one of the few things we were allowed to do at the height of the lockdown was go for a walk it’s outrageous that anyone would try to restrict access to footpaths. I would just ignore the signs, they are meaningless and I would be tempted to remove them if I could.

This is what I’d do. It just sounds like some people taking advantage of the COVID situation