Restricting water intake to "calm" horses

MrsNorris

Visit site
The depths of depravity humans sink to never ceases to amaze and disgust me.

The only time I've ever pulled my horse off a yard was because on 'full' livery, he was being given half a bucket of water expected to last from 3pm to 9am. When I asked nicely if he could have more, because I'd been topping it up myself when I visited after work, and found that he only had an inch left at 7pm, I was told no, it's a waste of water. So we moved that week.[/

In my experience a practice used to save bedding, not water, by unscrupulous yards.

9tails

Visit site
The depths of depravity humans sink to never ceases to amaze and disgust me.

The only time I've ever pulled my horse off a yard was because on 'full' livery, he was being given half a bucket of water expected to last from 3pm to 9am. When I asked nicely if he could have more, because I'd been topping it up myself when I visited after work, and found that he only had an inch left at 7pm, I was told no, it's a waste of water. So we moved that week.

So that their bed lasts longer? Less water means less urine. Awful practice to save a few quid on bedding.

Brownmare

Visit site
I find it odd that it works. I'd assume it would make the horse agitated, un-coordinated and unpredictable. Dehydration makes me really sick - like lie down and refuse to do anything sick. It's weird that it makes horses more cooperative.
I don't suppose they are consciously being more cooperative, more likely feeling too lethargic and sick to expend any unnecessary energy ?

Indy

Visit site
I suppose a lot of horses get moisture from their grass, how long would it take horses to dehydrate? Sometimes when I bring my horses in for the day they don't touch their water at all and then when they get turned out they don't go to the trough they just get on with eating grass

meleeka

Visit site
Please bare in mind that pat parrelli's ranch has been called into question about the amount of horses that have died on his ranch due to the witholding of water . Between him and his wife's abuse of that poor one eyed horse I truly hope they burn in hell for eternity.
Can you post a link to this? I can’t dibs anything online. I’m really not fan and would love it to be true, but I’ve learnt not to believe anything unless there’s some evidence.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site

HashRouge

Visit site
I’ve seen it the night prior to dressage day at a three day event with advanced horses to reduce chance of horses misbehaving in the dressage.
I've heard this as well, from a friend who groomed for William Fox-Pitt. She mentioned some big names doing it (not W F-P, I hasten to add) but it's always been one of those ones I hoped was just hearsay.

Winters100

Visit site
I have seen this done by a trainer known for supposedly good results. It is disgraceful and I would not in a million years allow him near my horses.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Please bare in mind that pat parrelli's ranch has been called into question about the amount of horses that have died on his ranch due to the witholding of water . Between him and his wife's abuse of that poor one eyed horse I truly hope they burn in hell for eternity.

Can't stand either if them both horrible people

Orangehorse

Visit site
I'm with the rest of you - gobsmacked.

I have always wondered about showing, when you read a report of a horse that has never been to a show before and coming out and winning their first ever class and behaving impecably. First time I took mine he spent the whole time neighing his head off and trampling on my feet. I asked someone who had been involved with showing how it was achieved and she replied in a rather non-committal reply.

PSD

Visit site

I have always wondered about showing, when you read a report of a horse that has never been to a show before and coming out and winning their first ever class and behaving impecably. First time I took mine he spent the whole time neighing his head off and trampling on my feet. I asked someone who had been involved with showing how it was achieved and she replied in a rather non-committal reply.

not always the case though, my filly was absolutely impeccably behaved at her first show. Wasn’t screaming or being rude at all....She was falling asleep in the ring ?

Mule

Visit site
Makes you wonder about the competitions they have to see which NH trainer can break colts/fillies the fastest. Even without the prospect of witholding water it's an inappropriate thing to have a competition for in the first place. There is big prestige in winning them so i can imagine competitors doing anything that gives them an advantage.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
not always the case though, my filly was absolutely impeccably behaved at her first show. Wasn’t screaming or being rude at all....She was falling asleep in the ring ?

Same.

But I did trailer my horse to a few clinics and other yards to ride. So he was somewhat "prepped" for the occasion. He's actually more of a weirdo at home then out.

I actually know of a riding school, if you can call it that, where all horses and ponies are on strong calming agents 24/7 because the owner is totally unqualified to be around horses on her own, never mind "teaching" others. I feel like she'd read this thread and think it a good idea to try this water thing. ?

Winters100

Visit site

I don't know if it is still done, but in the 80s we would take our youngsters along to shows whenever we had a couple of free spaces on the lorry. When there we were told to ride them around as close as possible to everything that was unusual to them, so when they were actually ready to compete they were used to it.