Retired horse - Help???

mle22

Visit site
popsicle - I agree totally - but I do think it's important to try the companion route first. I think that is what OP was trying to do.

Smash

Visit site
Putting a horse on loan is always a risk. Putting on older horse on loan as a companion is a bigger risk.
Putting an old horse and loan and leaving the country - a recipe for disaster.

Having a horse PTS is the hardest decision to make, but sometimes it is the kindest to ensure his life ends as a happy one.

mle22

Visit site
At risk of sparking further controversy - if the horse could choose - do you really think it would choose to be pts!!! Life is precious, even to a horse - that's why they fight to stay alive.
Not saying it is wrong to make the decision for their welfare - but really if there is an other option it should be fully explored.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
At risk of sparking further controversy - if the horse could choose - do you really think it would choose to be pts!!! Life is precious, even to a horse - that's why they fight to stay alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt it would choose to later go through the sales, be brought for meat and transported to Italy.............which is the stark reality for some unfortunate soles that lose the promised home for life.
frown.gif

mle22

Visit site
I may end up old, blind, broke, miserable and on my own, etc etc - still don't want somebody to put me to sleep now just in case I end up that way!!

hellsdarkrose

Visit site
I have been avidly reading the post and feel it is time for me to put my input in.

OP I think you should try looking at charities and retirement liveries first. Loaning out as a companion is risky especially as you would be out of the country and your horse is a veteran.

Is the horse in good health at present? If so I too would only consider PTS as a very last resort. Loaning will only work if you trust the person 100% as anything could happen to the horse whilst you are not around.

But if you cannot find anywhere trustworthy for the horse to go, cannot afford the retirement livery and charities are unable to take the horse then the kindest thing to do would be to have the horse PTS.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I may end up old, blind, broke, miserable and on my own, etc etc - still don't want somebody to put me to sleep now just in case I end up that way!!

[/ QUOTE ]

No I'm sure you would like a nice warm retirement home, but say your family decided to move away and throw you out on the street to fend for yourself, with nothing to eat and no way to look after yourself................................death doesn't sound such a [****] option now does it???
wink.gif

catembi

Visit site
FWIW, in Feb this year I thought I was going to lose my elderly mare, & I was actively looking for another old pony like the OP's as a companion. The one I would probably have had if I'd have passed the home inspection, etc, was 40 years old.

Any loan pony would have had a superb life with me til the end of its days. My old mare has been with me since she was 3 & she's now 35 & still in work.

So although there are a lot of dreadful stories about what happens to old loan ponies, there are also a few people like me who actively want companions who are old & sensible enough not to start kicking matches or galloping about games, & who would genuinely look after them extremely well.

Would agree that you would need a thorough written agreement covering vet's bills & pts etc.

MooMoo

Visit site
Ok...some people are being reeaalllyy unneccessarily rude *cough*toff*cough*.

I highly doubt you'll find someone who will want him as a companion because older horses are more expensive. They need more food, hay, rugs, farrier attention and not to mention huge vets bills that may come up. If you do find someone then thats good.

There will be people who will take him but from what i gather from here, they'll want paying.

So basically unless you want to pay out for him, there is no way you can guarentee his last days are happy ones.

Having him pts isnt the worst thing that could happen to him, he could end up absolutely anywhere and suffering.

I hope you make the right decision. It may be difficult but sometimes the right decision isnt always the easiest one.

dozzie

Visit site
Totally agree Catembi. If I was looking for a companion for one of my oldies I would actively seek another oldie providing it was in good health. Mainly because i dont have the time for a youngster or one that needs riding. Plus i think it is unfair to put a youngster in with a veteran. There are genuine people out there, looking for an elderly companion, but there are a lot of sharks too. Sadly.

RoyalPolo

Visit site
I would like to add my 2 pence worth to this.

To the OP i would first of suggest trying good charties, looking into retirement livery and then last of all looking to rehome as a companion there is good and bad people out there just be extremely picky and vet them extra well before hand and maybe stay over here if possible for a few months before you leave to ensure all is ok with him maybe if that is possible?

I would give this rescue centre a try i understand that the lady has a big heart and gave up her house etc to buy land and rescue horses i know she will offer homes to horses in this kind of situation if she can. www.thehorsesvoice.org.uk Shes worth a ring anyway.

Also i would like to add that there are people out there who do take older horses as companions or light hacks! I have one old horse who i got at 21yo and now retired his with me for life and i took another old mare to ride as a hacking horse she could well be over 25 but shes going strong if i had the space and money i would also take on more old horses in need of good homes and my horses are well cared for so there are people out there i know a few who take older or rescue type cases.

I would only consider Pts as a very last resort

I wish you the best of luck finding the perfect place for your horse.

BankEndRescue

www.bankendequinerescue.com
The problem with the charities is that unless your horse is a welfare case which he quite clearly isn't most of them won't take him. I echo all the comments about the inherent risks of loaning out an old boy and leaving the country. If you can afford to pay to keep your horse now, why can't you afford to put him into retirement livery when you leave the UK? As heartbreaking as it is, it's going to be extremely difficult to find someone genuine out there who will take him on free of charge. Now before anyone jumps on me for saying that, I DO realise that such people do exist, but in my experience they are few and far between.

I'm sorry but I believe you are going to have to maintain your comittment to your horse and pay for him to be kept safely until his time is up or you're going to have to bite the bullet and opt for a PTS. It's never an easy decision to make but please stop and think long term not just a quick fix to an immediate problem.

I hope you get things sorted out for the best

DiablosGold

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think that would go down very well. But then most of you probably don't have to make hard decisions do you? the hardest decision im guessing most of you have to decide is whether to get a pimms and lemonade or gin and tonic when you send your -paying for your lifestyle- OH's to the bar.

Obviously im excluding those of you from this rant who were kind enough to respond with real alternatives to just killing because something inconveniences you. Perhaps you should get jobs in the elderly care industry and we can all take tax cuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry had to reply to this! Firstly it's a pimms and lemonade please.
Secondly I work 48 hours a week in the elderly care industry to provide for my horse. Don't know what you mean about tax cuts though. I would love an OH to pay for my lifestyle but sadly they seem to be in short supply around here
tongue.gif

I could never imagine wanting to keep my horse for free while I went away to a foreign country. Seems bizarre
crazy.gif
Cake and eating it springs to mind...

OP - you might as well send him to the sales as that's where he'd probably end up if you loaned him to someone, it's the easy way for a dodgy person to make quick money. (And there's a lot of them out there.)

If you are willing to pay for him to go to a retirement home great, but don't fob him off onto the already overcrowded charities (who probably wouldn't take him anyway). FFS grow up and do the best thing for your horse.

Oh and one more thing!!! Working with elderly people, I know how change can really unsettle and depress them. I imagine it's the same with elderly horses. I would rather choose euthanasia than have him passed pillar to post for the rest of his days.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Hi Annalin, I do have a lot of retired horses here but have actually ceased adding any more, mostly because at some point we will want to retire completely, and trudging round feeding in the winter will lose it's appeal when I'm nearing 70...
I can answer your question from moving an old horse point of view, it really isn't easy for a 30 year old to adapt to change, the older they get, the further down the pecking order they move, and it would be really difficult for him to integrate into a herd. He would also need extra food and possibly stabling at night at his age, so it isn't going to be easy to find him anywhere to live free.
Offering him as a companion is a bit difficult as you are asking them to take on a possible load of problems as he ages, with no benefits for them.
I would try a couple of the animal sanctuaries such as the former ILPH and any you can find by googling, but you will find it hard to secure him a place I think.
If I am honest I would have him pts peacefully where he lives now by injection, and know he had a long and happy life. Once you leave the country you won't be able to check his welfare either.
There are retirement places that are fine, there is one in Winkleigh not far from here, but like us, they charge a weekly fee. ps me for details of them if you like, my vet says they are good.
If you loan him could you live with hearing he may have ended up at the sales as a younger horse and sold on? There are several recent cases of this happening.
The other option is keep paying for him..A good retirement home will ensure he is cared for, but it isn't cheap...

Tia

Visit site
If this horse is 30 years old and you've had him for 20 years, I can imagine how distraught you must be to give him up ... so don't! If he is healthy and in good spirits, why don't you take him with you?
smile.gif

If you are moving to a European country then you can easily split the journey up for him, so that he can have long stop-offs rather than doing the journey in the shortest possible time. You could move him yourself if you have the transportation - it's really easy to move horses around Europe these days. If you are going further afield then yes the transportation will cost you a few thousand, but if the horse is that special, then I can tell you it is worth every single penny!
smile.gif

If this is really not something that you are prepared to do for your old horse then the other people have really given you the only options available; either you find a terrific retirement home for him, loan him to a trusted friend or have him put to sleep.

No way in a million years would I loan my old horses to anyone other than VERY good friends whom I trust totally with their welfare. Yes there are some people who will take old horses and offer them retirement, I have done many times and the old horses that I have/had have been happy old beggars. This is not always the case though - and that is why people are suggesting that if you cannot GUARANTEE a good home where he can spend the rest of his life in comfort, then considering putting to sleep, although very hard to make this decision, should sadly be an option.

Oh and toffeenosegit; I had to have one of my beloved ponies put to sleep this week, yes it was very sad but I know that as a responsible owner this was the best thing to do for the pony. I had a mare of mine flown over from England to New York a few years ago and then land-shipped up to my farm here - she has been a part of our family for many many years and she was not being left behind. I have had many old horses over the years, some are still alive, some have passed on now and some have found useful homes with friends of mine. Not really your fault as you have only just registered to put your comments on this thread therefore you know no history about the people who frequent HHO. The reality is that you are ignorant about what decisions the people on HHO have made over the years, and most still have to make on a daily basis. Oh, and I own my farm, not my OH
wink.gif

I wish Annalin well and really hope she comes up with a solution to, what must be, a very tough situation. Best wishes to you.
smile.gif

clairel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I could never imagine wanting to keep my horse for free while I went away to a foreign country. Seems bizarre
crazy.gif
Cake and eating it springs to mind...

OP - you might as well send him to the sales as that's where he'd probably end up if you loaned him to someone, it's the easy way for a dodgy person to make quick money. (And there's a lot of them out there.)

If you are willing to pay for him to go to a retirement home great, but don't fob him off onto the already overcrowded charities (who probably wouldn't take him anyway). FFS grow up and do the best thing for your horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was going to leave this alone now as it seems to have gone on forever and is just immature now but... can we please stop making personal attacks on someone who was merely enquiring about her options!
We don't know the circumstances or details of the horse or OP and many of you have been saying pretty derogitory things!
There have been a few very helpful posts and I hope OP sees them!

CAN WE PLEASE LEAVE IT NOW!

dozzie

Visit site
Totally agree with you. The OP asked if loaning was a safe option. She asked what her options were. At no point did she say what she had decided to do.
Hopefully she will look at some of the posts and consider her options. At the end of the day it is her choice. We should be advising on the pitfalls or strengths of the options, which some people have tried to do. I hope she comes back and reads through the posts to enable her to make the best decision for her horse, whatever that may be. When you have had a horse this long it is a VERY hard decision to make.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
OOps only actually read the poster's question then replied without seeing the ensueing arguements.
We have horses here of every age from foals to 36 year olds.
The biggest difference is some 30 year olds are very fit and healthy, some 15 year olds aren't, and I think firstly this horse's owner needs to look at him objectively.
If all he can be is a companion then if he is in good health, try asking round locally, as suggested for people she knows. If he isn't or is going to need a lot of care, then despite the slating we got for suggesting euthanaisa, it should be considered.
I don't like having horses killed, and for me it's normally a last resort when I think their quality of life is poor. If however I did not have my own land and enough money to keep the horse in livery I would have no hesitation in euthanising it.
I really can't see what other option there is, if she can''t aford to pay for it's care and it can't be found a companion home at someone else's expense (unlikely) then what else can she do?
This is a 30 year old horse we are talking about, so although putting it down will upset some people, it's a better option than any alternatives such as selling it!
The owner has already said she can't afford to contribute towards it's keep, so who is going to keep a horse for nothing?
confused.gif

It isn't being cruel, it's being kind in the end, because the horse is no longer at risk and has had a long life, most horses don't make 30..
I do feel quite strongly that any owner has a responsibility towards any horse they own. Once you commit to owning you either sell whilst it's young enough to be useful, or agree to care for it until it isn't or have it pts at an appropriate age.
I bet if they could talk they would rather be dead than hawked round sale after sale, meeting new possibly bullying horses at each new home, and never feeling secure wherever they are.
I had to have two retired horses destroyed three weeks ago on their owners requests, and although it upset me terribly to carry out their wishes, I do understand their reasoning. They had paid out for 11 and 7 years retirement respectively, a huge amount of money for two horses they saw twice a year. Both had health issues so couldn't be ridden but in the end the financial side of things became too difficult for them. It was far kinder to die in their own familiar surroundings with people they knew and trusted than be sold or loaned.
I think often we can be too soft about old horses, life for them in many cases means arthritis and re-occurrance of old injuries, and euthanasia isn't always the evil decision many make it out to be..
I know one thing, if I was seriously ill or infirm, I'd have my vet put me to sleep, it was the most peaceful gentle death imaginable, think how the live transported ones end up...
frown.gif

Scunny

www.ponydaze.com
Is there any way that you could take him with you? I don't know where you are going to be based but my son is in the army and they will allow you to take pets (if they have relevant jabs and passports) and some army bases do have stables.

I don't think that I could bring myself to have one of mine pts unless they we loosing quality of life, but wouldn't be able to let them go to a stranger at that time of life either
frown.gif
a very hard choice.

Have you tried the Army Rumor Board forum? http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums.html they seem really helpful and may come up with a solution for you.

If you can find a livery not too far away from your base in Ireland the extra pay your husband will get for being based in a different country should help with the livery. (my son is moving to Germany and will get this but I'm not sure if they do for Ireland).

Hope you work something out soon,

Angela

nurselainee

Visit site
I have to reply to this after taking on a retirement horse in similar situation to annalin. I took on one in a similar position at the age of 21years old last year. He had worked hard his whole life for his owner/s as a landau horse. Her option was to have him pts as she quite simply couldnt trust a soul to take him on. She didnt want anyone to razz him around or sell him on and generally wanted a home for life or would have chosen the pts option due to her not thinking there is anyone on this planet suitable to give him the home he deserved.

If annalins post was a year earlier, i could have probably been her saviour here as i was looking for something similar.

I took our lil old boy on being a sweet itch sufferer with a scrubbed mane and tail, lame due to laminitis and being the biggest widest fatest horse you had ever seen. Yes you may think the owner let him go getting in this condition but she adored her old boy and held on and on and on until she could find someone for him, which was me!

I wanted an old horse for my husband to learn basic horse care from, something that would happily take him across our land plodding and riding with me to the woods adjacent to us, something that would generally look after my hubby a non horsey person. I being a horse owner from the age of 9yrs, couldnt care less about the costs or the care a sweet itch lammie prone old horse would need, at the end of the day, not all horses are ailment free and you just fit it in with your day to day general care, a young fit healthy horse with years ahead needs just as much care in maintenance and competition. Our old boy may not seem Old into comparison to horses in old age these days but he has had a hard working life on an 8 hourly daily shift hard graft up and down blackpool promenade in his working days, he deserves a happy ending.

What I am trying to say is, annalin is in the same position as my old horses' previous owner was, you cant tell me that annalin as a horse owner for the past two decades doesnt have this horses interest at heart, she obviously knows fine well that a horse no matter what age, needs care tlc and money for its general well being. Most army wives have to move country to country with their husbands if their posts are allocated abroad.

Annalin has come on here, I think her first post?, because she is in such a dilema, this will be breaking her heart no doubt in a massive way. In an ideal world we would all love to keep our horses for ever, but sadly, it cant always work out this way.

Throw her a bit of slack, advice is what she wanted, not critisism, imagine yourselves in this position, you never know what the future may hold.

Our 22 year old below as he is today, im having our boy for life, i adore him :

bobb1.jpg

bobb2.jpg

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
Why is this country so damn death phobic? why is putting an animal to sleep the "last resort"?

I had my old girl put down at 20. It was my FIRST resort. I'd have cut limbs off myself before I considered trying to save her.
It wasn't about killing her, it was about setting her free.

Anyone who considers themselves owing an older horse anything - owe them their freedom. Owe them the right to pass away in their beloved owners arms. Owe them the right to go happy, healthy and without need.

Don't palm them off to someone who owes them nothing, as more often than not that line ends in the slaughter house, and how much you have given to your old friend then!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Haven't read all the replies, so sorry if I repeat what others have said.

But have you researched retirement homes. I believe that there are some good ones around the country, and I'm assuming that money is no object (i.e you are able to afford to pay for him to live out his days somewhere).

Good luck, I hope you manage to find your precious horse somewhere happy to end his days.

By the way - what part of the country are you in??

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

But have you researched retirement homes. I believe that there are some good ones around the country, and I'm assuming that money is no object (i.e you are able to afford to pay for him to live out his days somewhere).

Good luck, I hope you manage to find your precious horse somewhere happy to end his days.

[/ QUOTE ]

AmyMay, that was the crux of the problem, the OP is looking for somebody to take this horse but does not wish to pay.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AmyMay, that was the crux of the problem, the OP is looking for somebody to take this horse but does not wish to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, thanks for the clarification - hadn't read the whole post.......

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Going back through the posts, and seeing that you have introduced yourself - can I make a suggestion? (I do it a little nervously, but here goes).

If you are Mr Annelin, can you sit down with Mrs Annelin and think about the situation at hand, and what you can do to help. Annelin has said that she is looking for a home with no costs involved. And as most people agree, this is an unlikely scenario. Why is money an issue??? Presumably someone's been paying for it's keep during the past 20 years - so why can't this continue now???

Anyway good luck with move.