Retraining ex-racers thread

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
HAHAHA to the concept of 'every single horse has to behave' - wouldn't that have been the dream whilst queuing up with hundreds of horses from other strings to try and get onto the gallops at Warren Hill.

I do think that flat horses are more likely to have had limited turnout, interaction with other horses and have been working hard from a younger age - so some are more likely to have gone into their shells, or not really fully developed their personalities (yet) - but that surely makes it more rewarding when they start to come out of their shells and let their personalities shine.

But anyway, I spent a lot of years riding flat horses and I can think of so many horses with absolutely hilarious personalities - some of whom really were incredibly mischievous characters. Some, sadly, were also just really stressed characters who were not well suited to the environment they were in and I really hope that they found better homes outside of racing in the end.

Barton Bounty

Just simply loving life with Orbi 🥰
Visit site
HAHAHA to the concept of 'every single horse has to behave' - wouldn't that have been the dream whilst queuing up with hundreds of horses from other strings to try and get onto the gallops at Warren Hill.

I do think that flat horses are more likely to have had limited turnout, interaction with other horses and have been working hard from a younger age - so some are more likely to have gone into their shells, or not really fully developed their personalities (yet) - but that surely makes it more rewarding when they start to come out of their shells and let their personalities shine.

But anyway, I spent a lot of years riding flat horses and I can think of so many horses with absolutely hilarious personalities - some of whom really were incredibly mischievous characters. Some, sadly, were also just really stressed characters who were not well suited to the environment they were in and I really hope that they found better homes outside of racing in the end.
I often find that its only when in a one to one home they really become themselves 😂

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Among others from other sources, I have bought 10 racers over the last 34 years either from Doncaster auctions or direct from the trainers mostly to be retrained and sold. I found it took 3 to 4 months for them to realise that they were in a private home where they were allowed to express a personality, but they all had one and were all bright, interested horses.

leflynn

Visit site
Some of the laziest, dullest, most boring horses I have ever ridden have been flat racers. The jumpers have way more personality!
Just catching up on reading and this made me laugh - I have a dinky ex flat horse who CAN be like a lazy donkey but if he is doing someting he loves its like he's got a rocket up his backside, he also has far too much personality at times and does the best mare stares, he is the master of surprise when you least expect it.... let himself out and took himself down the lane to his paddock at a casual trot last weekend as I took my eye off him for all of 5 mins 🤣

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I have an NH Hunt gelding. He is fairly lazy doing dressage but loves his jumping. He is bold and confident with a huge personality. A friend has a flat racer. He seems Totally shut down even after being with her for several years. No personality what so ever and very unpredictable.

Gamebird

Visit site
Out of interest has anyone tried anything from this series? I am interested at looking at different approaches this time round, and might try one or two of these to see whether they fit what I am aiming at:

(I should probably add that I'm pretty experienced (and arguably reasonably successful) with ex-racehorses, have had many, but am always open to learning and perhaps changing my methods a little, especially as the current incumbent is here to keep, not to sell)

BACR

Visit site
Hi all, as always it's lovely to see everyone enjoying your ex-racers. My lad and I have been out and about lately, we've been having dressage lessons every other week and we went to his first show jumping clinic last weekend. What a good boy he was jumping everything first time, to my knowledge he's never seen a coloured pole, filler or plank so I'm so very pleased with how bold and brave he is. I have jumped at home a few times where he's been equally bold but we only have rustic poles. Now we have a lot of work to do on our technique, he's green and I'm rusty! We also went to a fun ride but the less said about that the better, it wasn't much fun at all and he found it all rather overwhelming with so many horses ahead of him on the tracks. Never mind, he can't always be perfect and we both came home safe and sound so that's the most important thing. Here's a little picture of us schooling at home, I am totally besotted with him, he's everything.
Secrets-schooling.jpeg

Anyway, I just wanted to put a post here to see if anyone else is going to the RoR SE eventing camp at Blackwater Farm in Norfolk next week. We will be there so it would be lovely to meet anyone else that is also attending. I'm very much looking forward to it.

ycbm

Visit site
Fun rides are a huge challenge, plenty of horses who've never been on a race track go doolally on a fun ride. I've been delighted that mine deals with a commercial farm ride with no issues, it's my normal hacking so it could have been a big deal. It sounds like you're having great fun otherwise.

Next week I'll be posting my three month progress report, but we made a huge breakthrough with arena work this week.

Is it my fuzzy screen or do you ride him without a brow band?

BACR

Visit site
He's generally a lovely hack most of the time, he has an occasional moment of excitement but very rarely gets really silly. I took him on this particular ride because it was so close to home and I could get him back if it was a disaster. I've spent a lot of time on the ground with him so I popped off and got back on once he'd calmed down so at least we finished it off on a positive note. It is a lot for them to deal with on these fun rides, great that yours copes well with it ycbm. I'll look forward to hearing your update next week, I really do enjoy reading about how everyone else is getting on.

He does wear a brow band, it's a very fine one and his forelock is flopped to the side hiding it. A new bridle is on the next to get list (this one is a hand me down from my last horse who had a slightly bigger head), but I've just had delivery of an eye wateringly expensive custom saddle for him so it'll have to wait a month or so!

ycbm

Visit site
Three months this week, time has flown. I don't know how I got so lucky. He's a far better horse than I thought I would be able to find. His temperament is delightful, he's beginning to come out of his shell and all the staff love him. I was away for 3 days this week and when I got back he called to me when I arrived, so he knows I'm his person. He loves the root of his tail being scratched, and he grooms my hip if I scratch his wither.

I'm still using front boots to hack but he's still improving on stones so I'm hopeful we might be able to go without some time. I walk him out in hand over varied surfaces quite a few evenings a week to condition his feet, and he does a kilometer a day in total getting to and from his turnout.

He's making some real breakthroughs mentally and physically schooling lately. It's hard for him being in his fifth year of being ridden and having new and different questions asked of him. Much tougher than for a 4 year old, I think.

I hope everyone else is getting on well with theirs.

ponyparty

Visit site
Joining this thread tentatively... All your ex racers look amazing and here we are at the very start of our journey! I've owned Beryl a week now. Sorry to repeat myself for anyone who's seen my thread in the Club House - she's a 5yo, approx 15.2hh, ex flat racer - "Bay Beret". She isn't in great condition, goodness knows where she's been since she finished racing in 2021. She is an absolute sweetheart; loves a scratch and a cuddle, is quiet to handle, and was quiet to ride when I tried her.

All I'm doing with her at the moment is bringing her in for a feed morning and evening, giving her meds (for mud fever which flared up into a fat leg 3 days into owning her), a bit of a groom and a scratch, and picking her feet out. She's out on plenty of grass and with company. She's not great with her feet, reluctant to pick them up. She's not nasty with it in the slightest; I'm not sure yet whether she's objecting politely because she's sore (mud fever and/or her terrible feet) or if it's a broader training issue/not understanding the question.

So priories for now are simply to:
1. Get mud fever fully healed
2. Train to tie up
3. Train to have feet handled cooperatively

Once I've got mud fever under control and she's happy to have her feet handled, I'll be getting her boots and addressing those issues. Then when she's comfy in her feet, I'll start with some proper groundwork, and work my way up from there, all being well.

I'm moving her to a yard very close to home on Friday where I'll have some experienced support (new YO has worked in racing and had ex racers herself before). She'll be out on good grazing and with company there too; YO is keen for hers to be out as much as possible, so although there are stables, even in winter she'll be out as much as possible.

If she comes good as a ridden horse - amazing. I have no world-beating plans, despite her athletic history! It'll be mainly hacking, clinics, maybe some fun rides and local low level shows.
If she doesn't come good as a ridden horse - at least she'll be looked after!

Attachments

• Beryl 1.jpeg
    Beryl 1.jpeg
    502.3 KB · Views: 19

IrishMilo

Visit site
I have a lovely 5 y/o part loan who is out of a mare by Acclamation.

Ironically instead of retraining him he probably thinks he's back in training 😆 We have the most amazing mile grass stretch up from the yard so we go to let off some steam a few times a week. The fastest I've clocked him at is 33mph so far. He was a slow sprinter and is built more like an American NH than a flat horse. There is really no better feeling than galloping a TB with pricked ears though!

He's been jumping regularly a few months now as well. I'd love to take him to a BS by the end of the year.

I am quietly looking for my own again so if anyone knows of anything... want fresh off the track from trainer ideally. Happy to take a punt on something.

ycbm

Visit site
I have a lovely 5 y/o part loan who is out of a mare by Acclamation.

Ironically instead of retraining him he probably thinks he's back in training 😆 We have the most amazing mile grass stretch up from the yard so we go to let off some steam a few times a week. The fastest I've clocked him at is 33mph so far. He was a slow sprinter and is built more like an American NH than a flat horse. There is really no better feeling than galloping a TB with pricked ears though!

He's been jumping regularly a few months now as well. I'd love to take him to a BS by the end of the year.

I am quietly looking for my own again so if anyone knows of anything... want fresh off the track from trainer ideally. Happy to take a punt on something.

What sort of area are you prepared to view?.

BACR

Visit site
We had a wonderful weekend at training camp, what a boy this one is turning into. He was such a good bean, had a little bit of an aversion to a filler in the show jumping but he went with a bit of encouragement. So bold xc, probably too bold but he was really taking on everything. Kept it all small as it's only his 2nd time xc schooling but I think this horse has a ton of scope and potential. He even got 65% in his first mock dressage test. I have a lot to work on, both myself and him but I'm absolutely delighted with him. It was a great brunch of people, so friendly and supportive. I'm looking forward to attending more RoR training events. Some pictures below of us, I'm aware my position needs a bit of work but that's why I'm out and about getting as much training as I can. Also, don't know what's going on with my face in most of them, he always looks pretty though 🥰.
Fav10._1JPG.JPG
Fav3_1.JPG
Fav8_1.JPG
Fav7_1.JPG

humblepie

Visit site
We had a wonderful weekend at training camp, what a boy this one is turning into. He was such a good bean, had a little bit of an aversion to a filler in the show jumping but he went with a bit of encouragement. So bold xc, probably too bold but he was really taking on everything. Kept it all small as it's only his 2nd time xc schooling but I think this horse has a ton of scope and potential. He even got 65% in his first mock dressage test. I have a lot to work on, both myself and him but I'm absolutely delighted with him. It was a great brunch of people, so friendly and supportive. I'm looking forward to attending more RoR training events. Some pictures below of us, I'm aware my position needs a bit of work but that's why I'm out and about getting as much training as I can. Also, don't know what's going on with my face in most of them, he always looks pretty though 🥰.
View attachment 120533
View attachment 120534
View attachment 120535
View attachment 120536
He is lovely - look forward to more updates.

BACR

Visit site
Smart looking boy BACR. Looks like you had a lot of fun too.
Thank you ycbm, I'm a little biased as he's the apple of my eye. It was a really lovely weekend. I went totally by myself and had never met anyone else there so it was lovely that everyone was so friendly. Wonderful horses as well, the odd hysterical moment from a couple but the vast majority of them were very well behaved both ridden and on the ground.

ycbm

Visit site
Thank you ycbm, I'm a little biased as he's the apple of my eye. It was a really lovely weekend. I went totally by myself and had never met anyone else there so it was lovely that everyone was so friendly. Wonderful horses as well, the odd hysterical moment from a couple but the vast majority of them were very well behaved both ridden and on the ground.

I looked up your first pictures of him and he's coming on so well. He's a handsome boy.

I'm having a good time too, after today's hack I am sooooo close to being able to describe Charlie as one of the best hacks I've ever ridden.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I have just read this whole thread start to finish and thoroughly enjoyed reading about the new journeys for these beautiful horses. I'm not sure I'll ever be skilled or brave enough to have one for myself but if I were I certainly wouldn't be in the 'no TBs!' camp. Will look forward to keeping up with everyone's progress.

BACR

Visit site

I looked up your first pictures of him and he's coming on so well. He's a handsome boy.

I'm having a good time too, after today's hack I am sooooo close to being able to describe Charlie as one of the best hacks I've ever ridden.
Thank you so much, I've put a picture below of him a month out of training. It's the depths of winter (January 2022) and he's lost all of his racing muscle, this was him at his very worst condition. He was a staying hurdler and his last race was over 3 miles so he was very lean and fit prior to coming to me. It's been slow progress but I was adamant I didn't want to rush him or stuff him full of high energy feed. His diet was and still is very basic but good quality. I'm very lucky that he is a foodie horse, he'll eat anything so that did make getting his condition up a bit easier. He's quite a different animal now from then, personality wise as well as condition.

283401811_10162140821289408_8962931325385183576_n.jpg

That's great ycbm, there is nothing quite like a good tb. The majority of what I do is hacking so it's brilliant when they are such good hacks that you can just enjoy being up there with all that power underneath you. Apologies if I've missed a post and I hope you don't mind me asking, what are your long term plans for Charlie?

Finally, I don't think I've ever actually introduced mine with his name, he's called Secrets, it's a bit of a silly name but it is what it is!

ycbm

Visit site
I don't have any plans for him but for him to stay sound and happy if possible. He's on primarily hay and light work (because I don't want to do more myself, not because he can't) so muscle build up is slow but steady. We have our first pole clinic soon when I hope to find out if he'd enjoy popping a few small fences, but I think I've done all the competing I ever want to now and low key fun is the name of the game. His character is really beginning to show now. Did you see my thread about him killing a "snake"?

Yours is a changed horse!

IrishMilo

Visit site
Thank you so much, I've put a picture below of him a month out of training. It's the depths of winter (January 2022) and he's lost all of his racing muscle, this was him at his very worst condition. He was a staying hurdler and his last race was over 3 miles so he was very lean and fit prior to coming to me. It's been slow progress but I was adamant I didn't want to rush him or stuff him full of high energy feed. His diet was and still is very basic but good quality. I'm very lucky that he is a foodie horse, he'll eat anything so that did make getting his condition up a bit easier. He's quite a different animal now from then, personality wise as well as condition.

View attachment 120725

That's great ycbm, there is nothing quite like a good tb. The majority of what I do is hacking so it's brilliant when they are such good hacks that you can just enjoy being up there with all that power underneath you. Apologies if I've missed a post and I hope you don't mind me asking, what are your long term plans for Charlie?

Finally, I don't think I've ever actually introduced mine with his name, he's called Secrets, it's a bit of a silly name but it is what it is!

That's an incredible transformation! What do you feed him?

BACR

Visit site
I don't have any plans for him but for him to stay sound and happy if possible. He's on primarily hay and light work (because I don't want to do more myself, not because he can't) so muscle build up is slow but steady. We have our first pole clinic soon when I hope to find out if he'd enjoy popping a few small fences, but I think I've done all the competing I ever want to now and low key fun is the name of the game. His character is really beginning to show now. Did you see my thread about him killing a "snake"?

Yours is a changed horse!
I feel like we're cut from the same cloth ycbm, sound and happy is always the priority. If I understand correctly Charlie has had a similar trajectory to Secrets, raced for 5 years and then retired? I hope you have a great time at the pole clinic, Se didn't understand poles for the first few times but the penny dropped in a clinic a few weeks ago.

Yes, I saw your snake thread, how very bold and brave of him. it's amazing how their personalities develop when they are let down and lean to think for themselves.

BACR

Visit site
That's an incredible transformation! What do you feed him?

Thank you so much. I started him off on Saracens super fibre cubes and HiFi molasses free for the first year plus adlib hay and as much grass as he'll eat. Now he's on Spillers digest plus conditioning cubes and Alfalfa molasses free as his workload increased and I felt he needed something a little bit extra, he also has pro hoof (progressive earth), protexin gut balancer and glucosamine. He lives out 24/7 for the vast majority of the year and he's the only big sports horse at the yard so pre grazes paddocks down for the fatties. I have to be a little careful with him, he can't eat substantial amounts of linseed. He has some really strange behavioural issues that completely disappeared when I took out the linseed.

ycbm

Visit site
I feel like we're cut from the same cloth ycbm, sound and happy is always the priority. If I understand correctly Charlie has had a similar trajectory to Secrets, raced for 5 years and then retired? I hope you have a great time at the pole clinic, Se didn't understand poles for the first few times but the penny dropped in a clinic a few weeks ago.

Yes, I saw your snake thread, how very bold and brave of him. it's amazing how their personalities develop when they are let down and lean to think for themselves.

He raced for 4 seasons, thankfully not starting until he was 3. He's a very big horse and we'll be lucky to get away with him doing that much so young.

When he first saw poles he didn't have a clue how to hold himself up on one foot while the other stepped over the pole. I did tons in hand, walking him over poles and small xc fences until his back was strong enough to sit on for a decent amount of time.

I lunge him over poles every Sunday, late afternoon. It's part of our routine. I also walk him out in hand on the stone tracks several afternoon/ evenings a week, partly to stretch his legs before bedtime and partly to condition his feet, which I'm very much hoping to keep barefoot.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Learning about skinnies. He was a bit of a bugger about this and took a few goes to get him over. Suppose he can't be perfect all the time!

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 10.47.26 am (1).png

And then the beautiful hack home.

h1Vi7UC.jpg