Retraining ex-racers thread

Visit site
Learning about skinnies. He was a bit of a bugger about this and took a few goes to get him over. Suppose he can't be perfect all the time!

View attachment 120761

And then the beautiful hack home.

h1Vi7UC.jpg

That mane! Part of me wants to leave it to grow out even more and be a proper long mane but the other part of me would take a pulling comb to it 🙈🙈😂😂😂

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think Charlie would kill me. I don't pull manes anyway unless the horse likes it, but he's reacted quite strongly when I've touched it as if i might. Luckily his is thin enough to cut.

I'm very pleased with how the strength in his back is building up this morning. He's stood in a slight dip behind here, his cannon bones are normally vertical. He has a metallic coat, he doesn't get groomed much!

IMG_20230819_094923_resized_20230819_095258551.jpg

ycbm

Visit site
Very similar shape, aren't they. How big is Koby? He looks huge in your video but maybe you're tiny 😁

ponyparty

Visit site
I moved Beryl to a new yard yesterday, 5 mins from my front door. She was reluctant to load into the trailer (wonder if she’s always been in lorries?) and was lathered up by the time we got there. She calmed down pretty quickly on arrival though. She’s in a small paddock next to two mares who she will be turned out with once they’ve had a few days of getting to know each other over the fence.

I can tell she’s a bit unsettled still today, but we’ve made huge progress on picking up her feet - this evening she picked up all 4 first time I asked, and held each one up long enough for me to pick it out properly in one go. That might not sound like much to some, but it’s a thousand times better than she was just a week ago! Her worst one, the off fore, she sort of picked up and waved around a bit at first, like she wasn’t quite sure what she was doing with it off the ground; but I just went with her and she worked out what I wanted from her in the end. She’s getting there.

When I turned her back out she just stood in the corner by the gate for ages while I tidied up so I went in and walked up the paddock and she followed me up and then started grazing. I’m under no illusions, I’m sure it’s just because she’s in there on her own for a few days so has no better company 🤣 but it was very sweet nonetheless.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Sorry to jump in but a short reminder if you don't mind that I'm looking for a new home for this boy, Goody and this seems the most sensible place to ask.
In case you don't know; he suffered a hock trauma when racing as a three year old. He's been vegetating and recuperating here with me since May, '21 and really does need a job to make him happy. He's far too good to be stuck in a field but he will need totally re-starting let alone a long fittening regime to make sure his hock stands up to any work. Because of this, I'd prefer a LWVTB so he can come back here if needed.
I adore this boy and only a very experienced home will do for us both.

Cates123

Visit site
I'm interested to know if anyone has struggled with their upward canter transitions and, if so, what exercises you used? I've had my boy about 6 weeks now and he's pretty wonderful in terms of personality, ground handling, hacking out etc but our schooling can be hit and miss. He's a big, powerful 16.2 and I'm lucky that he's got a great natural movement, but it can lead to some excitable bursts in the arena as he learns how to deal with that power, most notably as I ask for canter. Nothing terrible and so far no big bucking, but he gets excitable and I'm worried about it getting worse as I start to anticipate it. My trainer has said lots of transitions up and down from canter, rather than long canters that can get flat, which is helping, and the main thing is to keep the rein light (which I'm trying but is hard when you could be going for a rollercoaster ride). I guess I'm looking for reassurance as I'm starting to get a bit nervous and shying away from canter work even though that's what we have to work on. He's got more potential than originally thought so I'm keen to not to mess up! Any suggestions would be great (for him and me)!

humblepie

Visit site
Cates 123 - mine wasn't explosive but did struggle with the transistions when he started off. I found a little leg yield into canter - nothing major but just to help them get themselves prepared. And agree with what your instructor has said. Does he hack and do you have hacks where you can canter safely as that can also help. It is very early days so don't rush yourself or him, just keep building the blocks up and good luck.

Cates123

Visit site
Cates 123 - mine wasn't explosive but did struggle with the transistions when he started off. I found a little leg yield into canter - nothing major but just to help them get themselves prepared. And agree with what your instructor has said. Does he hack and do you have hacks where you can canter safely as that can also help. It is very early days so don't rush yourself or him, just keep building the blocks up and good luck.
He hacks well and we go out about 3 times a week, but it's mostly roads and tracks so nowhere that can be cantered without sketchy gates which we're not quite ready for. Hoping to get transport soon so we can go further afield and do some farm rides, I agree that working on the canter out of the school would be good for him - thanks for that. Trying not to go too fast with him but his walk/trot is already really strong so it's the logical next step, it's a hard balance of not doing too much nor too little. This year is 'planned' to be all about getting basics right and learning to be calm and relaxed everywhere we go (a big ask in itself)!

ycbm

Visit site
I'm interested to know if anyone has struggled with their upward canter transitions and, if so, what exercises you used? I've had my boy about 6 weeks now and he's pretty wonderful in terms of personality, ground handling, hacking out etc but our schooling can be hit and miss. He's a big, powerful 16.2 and I'm lucky that he's got a great natural movement, but it can lead to some excitable bursts in the arena as he learns how to deal with that power, most notably as I ask for canter. Nothing terrible and so far no big bucking, but he gets excitable and I'm worried about it getting worse as I start to anticipate it. My trainer has said lots of transitions up and down from canter, rather than long canters that can get flat, which is helping, and the main thing is to keep the rein light (which I'm trying but is hard when you could be going for a rollercoaster ride). I guess I'm looking for reassurance as I'm starting to get a bit nervous and shying away from canter work even though that's what we have to work on. He's got more potential than originally thought so I'm keen to not to mess up! Any suggestions would be great (for him and me)!

Can you teach him walk to canter? It's often better if you can establish that, then trot to canter later.

Did he come off the track? 6 weeks is no time at all if he did, I'm in week 16 now and Charlie is only just able to hold a canter transition together in the school.

Cates123

Visit site
I might give that a try, it's just keeping his brain in the right place not to leap into it and get too excited! He had some down time, about 6 weeks with a retrainer and now with me. His transitions were fine when I tried him, although obviously it was all a work in progress and he was bought as a project. He's settled well after the initial anxiety (to be expected after so much moving around in a short time) and I can't fault him in any way really, I think it's just more about my anxiety and not wanting anything to spiral. I'm away on hols for a couple of weeks next month and considering putting him on schooling livery during this time as he's at home and it's a big ask to have the liveries look after him. Thought it would be a good opportunity for a professional to crack the transition for me - any thoughts?

YourValentine

Visit site
Have you tried asking for canter from a light/ 2-point seat? He might find this more familiar/easier and less exciting?

I would be inclined to give him a holiday at home, while you are away if possible to give him more time to settle in and relax rather than more change in a short period. You might find that after some more chill time (and the grass loosing it's rocket fuel quality) things are calmer in general.

If he only came out of training 12 ish weeks ago, he's still going to be pretty fit, which won't be helping with excitement levels.

Also have you tried calming cookies? I used them a bit, just 1 or 2 before I rode sometimes over the first 6 months I had my idiot as I felt that they helped just take the edge off moments of excitability. Could have been a placebo in my head but didn't hurt anyone and wasn't that expensive.

Squeak

Visit site
I'd be inclined to agree with YCBM that he's probably lacking in some strength and muscles for the canter transitions. It was also what my boy struggled with the most.

To add to what Humblepie said about some leg yield, you can do a 15/ 10m circle (don't go so small that it unbalances him) ask for the leg yield and then ask for the canter, this should help to strike off for the canter and if you do it on the second half of the circle towards the wall it should help to contain any shooting off etc.

I would agree with YourValentine that moving yards again for schooling livery would be a lot of change for him. What about getting a pro rider to come to your current yard instead?

ycbm

Visit site
Have you tried asking for canter from a light/ 2-point seat? He might find this more familiar/easier and less exciting?

I forgot this! I discovered it again the other day when I was trying to change diagonals by standing up for one beat and every time I did it Charlie stepped into canter.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Bit of an update as I haven’t posted in so long.

Nova had some time off while I reevaluated my life. We have done a lot of hacking since then with probably one schooling/pole session a week and the occasional jump. She’s getting so much stronger - even the physio commented on it.

Took her out today to a new arena as she is now on Regumate and I wanted to see if it made any difference. Despite there being pigs and arena banners around, she was actually really calm. We did mostly in hand stuff with a quick 10 mins walk and trot under saddle.

I’ve got over my need/goal of competing her by the end of this year. She’s far more sensitive/complicated than I imagined so I’m just keeping things fun and light for the rest of the year. Lots of hacking, the odd lesson away from home and nothing too strenuous at home.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Interesting new class for Cornbury year after next - a 2* for ex racehorses with a £50,000 prize fund :eek:

"Jayne McGivern and Cornbury House Horse Trials today announce an exciting new class for ex-racehorses that will be run at Cornbury House Horse Trials in 2025, worth a phenomenal £50,000.

The introduction of this new ex-racehorse class is the initiative of Jayne McGivern of Dash Grange Stud and owner of top event horses, with the support of David Howden, Group CEO and Founder of Howden and Founder and President of the Cornbury House Horse Trials.

The initiative has been in McGivern’s thoughts for a long time, wanting to make training ex-racehorses financially viable for riders. Her aim is to also raise the profile of the adaptable nature of thoroughbreds, especially in terms of their suitability for Eventing.

McGivern is generously donating £50,000 in prize money, making it one of the largest prize funds within the Eventing calendar, and the class will be run alongside the other classes at Cornbury House Horse Trials.

The class will showcase thoroughbreds and their abilities, aiming to encourage riders to take on and retrain ex-racehorses and incentivise riders to work towards the 2025 class. It will also provide an additional opportunity for ex-racehorses, building on the existing resource and guidance provided by Retraining of Racehorses (RoR).

Jayne McGivern of Dash Grange Stud said: “I am thrilled to be able to launch a new ex-racehorse class that will run in 2025, and thank David Howden for his support in allowing my idea to come to fruition. Racing and Eventing are both my passions and through this class we will be able to showcase the talent that thoroughbreds have in their second careers.”"

Well that's pretty convenient for me with an ex racehorse who is nicely established at 2* - but I really hope it does encourage more professionals to take on ex racehorses with such a big prize pot to aim for... trouble is they've now got two years to aim for it. Even I now have itchy fingers for getting another TB in, hehe!

ycbm

Visit site
Interesting new class for Cornbury year after next - a 2* for ex racehorses with a £50,000 prize fund :eek:

Well that's pretty convenient for me with an ex racehorse who is nicely established at 2* - but I really hope it does encourage more professionals to take on ex racehorses with such a big prize pot to aim for... trouble is they've now got two years to aim for it. Even I now have itchy fingers for getting another TB in, hehe!

This is good news. When I was buying at Doncaster back in the 90s I was often bidding against Harvey Smith and Andrew Nicholson, each of whom used to take a lorry full home to be turned into show jumpers and eventers. Warmbloods blew that market apart, it would be good to see it
revived.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
My only thought is it’s a shame it’s not being run at 1* as makes it much more achievable for the majority who actually have ROR and then pros will take them on more as well as easier to produce for it. It’s all at Cornbury which now has a glut of champs and could go somewhere else. Nice idea but the numbers for Gatcombe and Barbary in the past have been dismal. It won’t change the culture IMO but alienates the core base who have nothing to aim for apart from some miserable bolt on by ROR up north for 90/100

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
My only thought is it’s a shame it’s not being run at 1* as makes it much more achievable for the majority who actually have ROR and then pros will take them on more as well as easier to produce for it. It’s all at Cornbury which now has a glut of champs and could go somewhere else. Nice idea but the numbers for Gatcombe and Barbary in the past have been dismal. It won’t change the culture IMO but alienates the core base who have nothing to aim for apart from some miserable bolt on by ROR up north for 90/100

I'm not sure I agree with you - there's an absolute tonne of stuff to do at grassroots-y RoR level aimed at amateurs. There are points leagues at BE90/100/Novice, special prizes at Badminton Grassroots and a whole dedicated champs at aintree (no there isn't eventing, but there's the challenge class, SJ and indoor eventer trial - so lots of it). The point of this isn't to get amateurs to keep taking them on (because it is mainly amateurs that do), the point is to get more TBs into the hands of professionals who will produce them to the standard needed to show that they really can be top class event horses. So stick some proper money behind it and actually make it a big thing. Personally think it's a shame it isn't at 3* instead!

Oh and I won that 'miserable bolt on' at Askham Bryan a few years ago and got some nice £££ and a rosebowl, so it wasn't bad!

Visit site
I'm not sure I agree with you - there's an absolute tonne of stuff to do at grassroots-y RoR level aimed at amateurs. There are points leagues at BE90/100/Novice, special prizes at Badminton Grassroots and a whole dedicated champs at aintree (no there isn't eventing, but there's the challenge class, SJ and indoor eventer trial - so lots of it). The point of this isn't to get amateurs to keep taking them on (because it is mainly amateurs that do), the point is to get more TBs into the hands of professionals who will produce them to the standard needed to show that they really can be top class event horses. So stick some proper money behind it and actually make it a big thing. Personally think it's a shame it isn't at 3* instead!

Oh and I won that 'miserable bolt on' at Askham Bryan a few years ago and got some nice £££ and a rosebowl, so it wasn't bad!

A lot of people don't realise just how many different competition options there are in RoR. It's not all about showing. There's 2 different dressage championships in each area - a summer and winter one. There stuff for endurance, show jumping, eventing, polo, hunting etc. As well as the showing. My only gripe is the need for 4 shoes when doing ridden ror classes. You don't need a single shoe on to do anything else. They say it's for the safety of the ride judges but of all the other societies with ride judges the only ones that insist on 4 shoes is one of the Hunter ones (not the one that does HOYS - you can compete in every single class after HOYS bar 1 (horse workers) without a single shoe on) and the BHS working hunter classes up here. You don't even need to race with 4 shoes on 😂

humblepie

Visit site
What an amazing prize fund. As we all know they’re always been race horses doing very well but sounds an excellent initiative. Not relevant to the discussion, but I have a rosette somewhere from showjumping at Cornbury with my little ex racehorse years ago. Give you some idea, Sebastian Coe presented the prizes.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site

The points league is pathetic - I actually think ROR does a very bad job with eventing for a charity which gets £1 million a year. They are very bitty with a bit of crap everywhere rather than something meaningful and good. The Askham Bryan thing doesn’t even get its own section… it’s in with the opens last year and the RoR winner was 5th in the section.
The pros who take racers already do. It’s not going to change the minds of the others. Laura Collett works with them daily but has none in her string….

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
The points league is pathetic - I actually think ROR does a very bad job with eventing for a charity which gets £1 million a year. They are very bitty with a bit of crap everywhere rather than something meaningful and good. The Askham Bryan thing doesn’t even get its own section… it’s in with the opens last year and the RoR winner was 5th in the section.
The pros who take racers already do. It’s not going to change the minds of the others. Laura Collett works with them daily but has none in her string….
Oh I mean I think the organisation is chaotic and the choice of stuff doesn't make much sense - but there's a lot of it, and not much of it is tailored towards pros - although the Gatcombe class is decent and last year I was one of only a couple of people who showjumped on the second day for the top 10 places who wasn't a professional rider. But I think there's a huge benefit in keeping more TBs in the sport being produced by good riders. Although I'm sure Laura collet won't go for it - although she schools the jumpers she's previously been quite outspoken about not liking TBs for sport, and her type is big heavy warmblood dressage types as far as I can see?!