Retraining ex-racers thread

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Another “is this normal for an ex racer” question!! My little man has been turned out daily for the past few months, firstly overnight and in during day in July/August and recently out in the day and in at night since the weather became a bit cooler (and wetter!). I guess he’s had about 8hrs a day?

Anyway the last 4 days he’s been wanting to come in after about 3! Fence walking, calling a lot from the field and generally unhappy. Once he’s been brought in he’s happy as Larry with his haynet in his stable. He’s not being bullied or anything, there isn’t much grass I will admit, they will get hay in the field soon but generally over winter they are stabled a fair bit as we are on clay and the fields get sodden. he’s been rugged appropriately as he does seem to feel the cold.

YO is happy to bring him in at lunchtime if he’s calling or fence walking etc… she said it might be because he’s used to being stabled so much at the race yard? It’s coincided with the bad weather we’ve had a lot of rain but he’s also done it on milder days too. Photo of offending pony at gate 😂41258F99-0683-4DF6-B6E6-05EE894946C3.jpeg

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
Yes although they are all different and probably that nothing to eat. As you can have him brought in and he’s happy once in, go with it definitely until get hay in the field time.Smart looking boy.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Thank you! He is a monkey and we’ve noticed that if nobody is on the yard he’s grazing but as soon as he sees someone that’s it and he wants to come in 😂 He moved to a field with more grass today and he still decided at lunchtime he wanted to come in…but then he settled again and stayed out till 3. He’s a boy that likes his stable I think x

YourValentine

Visit site
He might just be hungry. I've had to start putting a biscuit of hay out to stop them loitering, despite there being lots of grass in the field. It appears to have lost its yumminess/goodness already.

I'm sure if the pair of them were cobs they'd still be delighted with the grass, but being picky TBs...🙄

Hannahfs

Visit site
Bit of a different one…

Is there anyone on here from Yorkshire/up north?

I’m looking into sorting a clinic with Lou Robson (of thoroughbred dressage) and wondered if anybody on here would be up for it!

Gamebird

Visit site
Bit of a different one…

I’m looking into sorting a clinic with Lou Robson (of thoroughbred dressage) and wondered if anybody on here would be up for it!
North-ish. I have twice signed up for RoR arranged clinics with her, and both have been cancelled due to lack of interest. So I wpuld be interested, but you may find it challenging!

Hannahfs

Visit site
North-ish. I have twice signed up for RoR arranged clinics with her, and both have been cancelled due to lack of interest. So I wpuld be interested, but you may find it challenging!
Yeah I think that’s the problem, people don’t seem to be signing up to things up here so things keep being cancelled!

I think there’s a few people on my yard who are up for it and I’ve spoken to her and she said she’d travel if I could get it up to 6 so fingers crossed!

Gamebird

Visit site
Yeah I think that’s the problem, people don’t seem to be signing up to things up here so things keep being cancelled!

I think there’s a few people on my yard who are up for it and I’ve spoken to her and she said she’d travel if I could get it up to 6 so fingers crossed!
Whereabouts are you?

Hallo2012

Visit site
I guess i can rejoin this thread now! after a 10 year hiatus i now have another TB to produce for dressage :)

Winter Games is a licensed breeding stallion, beautifully produced by Groomsbridge stud and is in the process of being rebacked..............he is the sweetest, happiest easiest stallion and is taking to it like a duck to water.....2025 will be prelim AF and prelim ROR.

Squeak

Visit site
I guess i can rejoin this thread now! after a 10 year hiatus i now have another TB to produce for dressage :)

Winter Games is a licensed breeding stallion, beautifully produced by Groomsbridge stud and is in the process of being rebacked..............he is the sweetest, happiest easiest stallion and is taking to it like a duck to water.....2025 will be prelim AF and prelim ROR.

I've seen your updates on fb and he looks fabulous. Will be great to see what you achieve with another RoR.

humblepie

Visit site

That's exciting for you. Searched him on the Racing Post as always look at the racing history - did he run under another name?

Cragrat

Visit site
Bit of a different one…

Which part of Yorkshire? We are in North East Yorkshire, and we (daughter and I) would be very interested with our ROR's :)