Retraining ex-racers thread

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Hi can anyone point me in the direction of some good resources for what I should be aiming to do with mine to get him adjusted to being a general riding horse? I’ve got a trainer who comes every few weeks who has worked in racing so she is great and has given me some homework but it’s only really early days for him. He’s been hacking and a bit of light schooling for about 2 months, he was being trained to be a hunt horse briefly before I got him…I’m less concerned about the jumping but we will do a bit. Are there specific things or experiences I need to give him? I’ve looked at the ROR website and joined the charity.

In the school he is a bit stiff and unbalanced, physio coming Monday, dentist tomorrow and saddle fitter the week after. Trainer recommended lots of long and low, circles, figures of eights and sepentines to get his brain thinking until I see her next.

Is polework beneficial? Lunging? Long reining? Thanks so much x

Gamebird

Visit site
Hi can anyone point me in the direction of some good resources for what I should be aiming to do with mine to get him adjusted to being a general riding horse? I’ve got a trainer who comes every few weeks who has worked in racing so she is great and has given me some homework but it’s only really early days for him. He’s been hacking and a bit of light schooling for about 2 months, he was being trained to be a hunt horse briefly before I got him…I’m less concerned about the jumping but we will do a bit. Are there specific things or experiences I need to give him? I’ve looked at the ROR website and joined the charity.

In the school he is a bit stiff and unbalanced, physio coming Monday, dentist tomorrow and saddle fitter the week after. Trainer recommended lots of long and low, circles, figures of eights and sepentines to get his brain thinking until I see her next.

Is polework beneficial? Lunging? Long reining? Thanks so much x
Thoroughbred Dressage is excellent. She's on FB (and isn't just dressage! ) and does lots of webinars - see also her website. Some are free, some paid. I have paid for a couple - particularly long-reining and developing the contact, and found them very worthwhile. For context I have had many ex-racehorses, but am always open to learning and comparing with other people's methods.

The RoR clinics are also excellent, so scour their website for these.

Carrottom

Visit site
I think polework in hand is definitely beneficial. I would wait until after your physio and saddle fitter have been before progressing much more under saddle. If teeth haven't been checked I would get that done too.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Thoroughbred Dressage is excellent. She's on FB (and isn't just dressage! ) and does lots of webinars - see also her website. Some are free, some paid. I have paid for a couple - particularly long-reining and developing the contact, and found them very worthwhile. For context I have had many ex-racehorses, but am always open to learning and comparing with other people's methods.

The RoR clinics are also excellent, so scour their website for these.
Ooh thank you her website looks fab! Ill
Definitely download some of those videos! Thanks so much x

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I think polework in hand is definitely beneficial. I would wait until after your physio and saddle fitter have been before progressing much more under saddle. If teeth haven't been checked I would get that done too.
Yep dentist is coming tomorrow!

No I’m only light hacking until physio and saddle fitter have been, once we know he’s all ok will crack on with bits of schooling x

IrishMilo

Visit site
Went XC Saturday, Koby was absolutely brilliant and jumped everything first time. This was only his second time on an XC course.

Then we headed off SJ yesterday, we did the 80 and the 90. Had about 5 minutes to warm up and then had to go straight in, the course was really tight for a big horse. Had a couple of poles but was super happy with him. Again only his second show. Then I stuck him in the 90, unfortunately he eliminated us through the double but after a smack on the arse he jumped through and we finished the rest of the course.

Onwards and upwards for the goofball.

(Lick on his nose, not sunburn!)

5Z9ONwV.jpeg

gcqclFn.jpeg

3TUTTcb.jpeg

ZD4G6rJ.jpeg

Last edited:

Bobthecob15

Visit site
New pic of my recent purchase, he’s put a bit of weight on now and has had a busy week.. dentist, physio and saddle fitter next week! Physio thought he was a bit stiff in the pelvis but nothing of concern and just needs a few treatments and hopefully once he’s got a bit more top line he’ll feel better. Such a sweet nature, she said I had a good buy which was lovely to hear ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_4459.jpeg
    IMG_4459.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 57

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Hello, I wondered if you guys would be able to advise on feed for putting a bit of weight on my boy? The grass isn’t the best where we are he does however have lots of ad lib haylage/hay and feeding Pure Working at the recommendation of the company (already feed Pure Fibre Balance for our Welsh and love the feed) but I think he might need a bit more conditioning. I know he’s never going to look like our porky Welsh 😂 They do Pure conditioning mix which I’m going to possibly try… what do other people feed? He’s in work 3/4 times a week mainly hacking and a bit of schooling x

IrishMilo

Visit site
He's nice! I don't think he needs more fat looking at him, just more muscle. I feed one soaked Stubbs scoop alfalfa pellets, one scoop rolled oats, a generous amount of table salt and a mineral balancer - out at grass 24/7 with hay supplemented.

I really like alfalfa, it's very nutrient dense and because we don't generally feed alfalfa hay in the UK, it fills a gap.

ihatework

Visit site
Hello, I wondered if you guys would be able to advise on feed for putting a bit of weight on my boy? The grass isn’t the best where we are he does however have lots of ad lib haylage/hay and feeding Pure Working at the recommendation of the company (already feed Pure Fibre Balance for our Welsh and love the feed) but I think he might need a bit more conditioning. I know he’s never going to look like our porky Welsh 😂 They do Pure conditioning mix which I’m going to possibly try… what do other people feed? He’s in work 3/4 times a week mainly hacking and a bit of schooling x

I wouldn’t change too much yet. It’s muscle he needs which takes time. Feed wise if you like pure then stick with it for now. Given he is in light work then the working is probably just fine. If his behaviour is solid then could up the energy content to conditioning and/or add in a third feed. Should you get to the point of thinking you need to switch brands the Baileys ease and excel is generally a good option.

Correct work and plenty of grass/hay/haylage and in six months time you probably won’t recognise him.

Squeak

Visit site
Another voting for hay/ haylage and work being the main things needed. I think the same as other things - some feed works better for some than others. I don't know pure feeds well so can't help too much with them specifically but if it's any help I feed mine:

1/3 scoop grass chop, 1/2 scoop sugarbeet, micronised linseed, balancer (twice a day) and ad lib hay in winter with 24/7 turnout all year. I found he didn't actually do that well on mixes etc. he was much better when I switched to keeping everything as simple as possible - if he needs more in winter he gets grass nuts added. He shows and events etc on that and he's a CHUNK!

I do like sugarbeet and alfalfa for exracers because they protect/ coat the stomach.

Hannahfs

Visit site
Trip to the gallops today for Benny as we try to add a bit more interest into the muscling up process. Still trying to do plenty of groundwork/pole work but it sure was nice to be back out!

Attachments

• IMG_4090.jpeg
    IMG_4090.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4093.jpeg
    IMG_4093.jpeg
    566.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4088.jpeg
    IMG_4088.jpeg
    541.4 KB · Views: 14

AandK

Visit site
It’s been over 5yrs in the making but Charlie and I finally made it to our first comp today! Low key RC dressage and we did the first class, Intro A, and were first in so it was nice and quiet for him. Charlie was good as gold, found the indoor a bit spooky, but then he’s never been in one before! Some nice moments and comments from the judge and a fair score of 63.04% to get 4th place. So pleased!
IMG_4518.jpeg
IMG_4519.jpeg

humblepie

Visit site
Trip to the gallops today for Benny as we try to add a bit more interest into the muscling up process. Still trying to do plenty of groundwork/pole work but it sure was nice to be back out!
Fab. The local gallops for hire near us are the ones mine was trained on but have eyed up another circular one. Your boy looking good.

humblepie

Visit site
It’s been over 5yrs in the making but Charlie and I finally made it to our first comp today! Low key RC dressage and we did the first class, Intro A, and were first in so it was nice and quiet for him. Charlie was good as gold, found the indoor a bit spooky, but then he’s never been in one before! Some nice moments and comments from the judge and a fair score of 63.04% to get 4th place. So pleased!
View attachment 143599
View attachment 143600
Well done. Looking very good.

Hannahfs

Visit site

Amazing!! Well done, he looks very smart and fab result for his first time out, what a good boy!

Gamebird

Visit site
Is anyone going to Aintree? I have found myself unexpectedly free of work, although found out annoyingly too late to actually qualify for anything, so am going for some of the non-Q dressage and SJ. It will be nice as my horse, although intended for this year's Grand National, never actually ran at Aintree, but I have led up and ridden on the gallops there several of his stablemates.

Random pic of us and my dog loving a very soggy recent trip to the beach. He really is part of the family now!
Screenshot_20240805_110315_Gallery.jpg

Gamebird

Visit site
I
I wouldn’t change too much yet. It’s muscle he needs which takes time. Feed wise if you like pure then stick with it for now. Given he is in light work then the working is probably just fine. If his behaviour is solid then could up the energy content to conditioning and/or add in a third feed. Should you get to the point of thinking you need to switch brands the Baileys ease and excel is generally a good option.

Correct work and plenty of grass/hay/haylage and in six months time you probably won’t recognise him.
I would also like to stick a hand up (if you are making a change!) for Red Mills Ultracare. Low starch cereal free cubes for ulcer prone horses, and very good value. I use this plus RM Define and Shine (high oil balancer), and Dengie Performance Chaff and am extremely happy with my horse and the change in him since he came.

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
Is anyone going to Aintree? I have found myself unexpectedly free of work, although found out annoyingly too late to actually qualify for anything, so am going for some of the non-Q dressage and SJ. It will be nice as my horse, although intended for this year's Grand National, never actually ran at Aintree, but I have led up and ridden on the gallops there several of his stablemates.

Random pic of us and my dog loving a very soggy recent trip to the beach. He really is part of the family now!
View attachment 144297

Yes am there Friday, competing showing champs Saturday and my horse gets to do the Always a Star parade. Our paths probably won’t cross which is a shame.

leflynn

Visit site

View attachment 144297
Yes we're going as managed to qualify at the last min for the DR Leagues classes (forgot to enter tbh), I'm trailer camping defo there tue/wed maybe thurs if we finish late on wed, there are a fair few of NE contingent going for the DR so hopefully see you there!

There is space to pitch a tent and you can use the showers in the jockeys dorms if you are camping

Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site
Sadly they won't! I am there Monday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon! I got stabling, but not accommodation sadly. So I will likely be car camping! Hey ho!

Depending on budget I think Stables Inn, the hotel on the racecourse, still have some space - I think it's £60 - 80 per night.

humblepie

Visit site
Friend of mine pitches her tent on the grass bit at the end of the lorry park by the houses. There’s normally one or two there.

Gamebird

Visit site
Out of interest does anyone know what the hostel accommodation is like?

Eta - thinking for next year not this
I've stayed in it racing a few times. Very standard racing hostel! Usually two single beds to a room, toilet and shower not en suite. Sink in room. Perfectly adequate, hostel staff are lovely and canteen is good.