Retraining ex-racers thread

humblepie

Visit site
One of mine was Northern Dancer as grand sire. Interestingly ND born 1961, sired horse’s sire 1988 and mine born 1996. Mine was very spindly but evented then became top show horse - very fine and elegant.

ifyousayso

Visit site
What’s your opinion on people getting TB as their first horse. I have a few friends who work exercises racehorses and brought them home with them but it’s was their first ever horse .

J&S

Visit site
My coloured mare has a pedigree going back through Hyperion, gggf and so to Gainsborough ggggf. I have always thought Gainsborough (born 1915) to be the most attractive race horse. We are going back a long way here!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The pedigree query site I linked to for Frankie's pedigree has a photo option and it's fun to look at pictures of ancestors especially when it switches from photos to oil painting.

There's a photo somewhere of princiquillo that looks so much like Frank, it's uncanny. Only once in the pedigree but lots of prince rose and prince bio. Native Dancer at an early stage of greying out made me think of Tigger.

McGrools

Visit site
Hiya, i’ve got a 10 year chestnut mare with grandsire Montjeu, sire Papal Bull.
She is perfect, fine but hard as nails and bold as brass. I adore her. Owned for a year, out of racing 18 months. Ran over hurdles 22 times. Super easy to retrain. I’m have just been taking time over to the winter to adjust her to barefoot as shoes were pinging off way too oftenAll going well. She should easily event 100 and beyond without too much effort.
She led round the warwickshire team chase in the autumn like a pro.
i wouldnt change a thing about her xx

MummyEms

Visit site
My ex racehorse is so much fun. Occasionally a bit switched on but I love that about her. I liken riding her to driving a fast sports car.
On the other hand she hacks out all over the place with my daughters and their ponies. We go to the forest, beach, river, woodlands, xc, sj, low level dressage and other fun and crazy antics.
she lives out and loves it! She's the best 16hh thoroughbred I could've wished for.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Al today

Yep, still *very* nice 😀

Meanwhile today I've been teaching a royal Ascot winner how to pop his first cross poles - a very good boy 👍

Jayzee

Visit site
I've just found this thread and loved it!

Some very smart horses and love seeing the process too. Keep the updates coming

Splash2310

Visit site
I’ve read through this thread and absolutely love it! Now sharing an ex flat- racer who’s apparently done some low level Eventing in the past (I’m not sure this is true!) but I find his jumping quite tense and a bit long and flat.

He’s a very quick learner though, so just wondering if anyone had any jumping exercises they found to be beneficial in their ex-racers retraining.

humblepie

Visit site
I’ve read through this thread and absolutely love it! Now sharing an ex flat- racer who’s apparently done some low level Eventing in the past (I’m not sure this is true!) but I find his jumping quite tense and a bit long and flat.

He’s a very quick learner though, so just wondering if anyone had any jumping exercises they found to be beneficial in their ex-racers retraining.
I would say to get the flat work so you can adjust the stride, lengthening and shortening the move onto playing with canter poles on the ground to really get the basic work good. You could then use gridwork to help the jump shape - I would suggest doing that with an experienced helper or instructor. I had an ex racehorse who jumped to Foxhunter level and she still used to make up too much distance in the air even then. I’d use placing poles on the ground to encourage her to get deeper and land shorter. She once bounced a double and in a Newcomers did a two stride double in one stride. I didn’t know her history but imagine she’d been a hurdler so used to long low speed jumping. Being a flat horse hopefully your one won’t have that. Doing poles on the ground for take off and landing does need an expert eye so try to get some good assistance. I should add I’ve not jumped a fence for best part of twenty years - but don’t think it has changed too much. Good luck with your horse.

LEC

www.youtube.com
Trot jumping. Hours and hours and hours of it. Pole on the floor 3 human strides out then fence. It teaches them to slow their thinking, get clever with their feet and make a good shape. I don’t think mine cantered into a fence for 3 months.

I have sold my ex-racer this week. He has gone to my friend who had him while I was off for surgery so an amazing home where he can be no1.

BACR

Visit site
Lovely to hear how everyones else is getting on with your ex racers. LEC and The Mule, I've enjoyed watching you YouTube channel on how yours are progressing. My lovely boy is still progressing well, a friend popped on him over the weekend and said he was delightful and very responsive, which is a lovely complement for the both of us. We (well me as he can't understand these things) had an exciting day today and purchased a great big 4x4 so will be able to get out and about to some clinics and training shortly. Super excited for a summer of fun with my best mate.

Squeak

Visit site
Trot jumping. Hours and hours and hours of it. Pole on the floor 3 human strides out then fence. It teaches them to slow their thinking, get clever with their feet and make a good shape. I don’t think mine cantered into a fence for 3 months.

I have sold my ex-racer this week. He has gone to my friend who had him while I was off for surgery so an amazing home where he can be no1.

Sounds like he's gone to an amazing home. It was really interesting following your journey with him. Will you get another to replace him?

LEC

www.youtube.com
Sounds like he's gone to an amazing home. It was really interesting following your journey with him. Will you get another to replace him?
I will try to get to Goresbridge and buy a very mediocre 4yo to bring on and sell.

Hamlet

Visit site
So excited that I get to finally join this thread. After a secondment from ex-racehorses after the last one got surgically attached at the hip to another livery and was impossible to work with, we’ve gone down the gelding road this time for hopefully less drama.

Brian arrived home today and met all of his friends. Despite being stressed about being in a new place he’s eaten his dinner and come in and out with good manners and has stood on the yard, plus only got stuck around the tie up post twice. Unfortunately cementing the nickname “Brainless Brian” poor boy.

Im over the moon with him.

DB81CA86-B72F-4F94-946E-DF5398312B86.jpeg
37C88372-189B-4F15-B40B-325BC74D87B9.jpeg
E1C6DD98-1F7D-47C2-AD01-BFE314CB1077.jpeg58540905-0AE8-4060-A9BB-E327794DC861.jpeg

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
So excited that I get to finally join this thread. After a secondment from ex-racehorses after the last one got surgically attached at the hip to another livery and was impossible to work with, we’ve gone down the gelding road this time for hopefully less drama.

Brian arrived home today and met all of his friends. Despite being stressed about being in a new place he’s eaten his dinner and come in and out with good manners and has stood on the yard, plus only got stuck around the tie up post twice. Unfortunately cementing the nickname “Brainless Brian” poor boy.

View attachment 112646
View attachment 112647
View attachment 112649View attachment 112648
Beautiful stamp!

humblepie

Visit site

View attachment 112646
View attachment 112647
He’s lovely. What’s his racing background.

TheMule

Visit site

View attachment 112646
View attachment 112647

Well he is pretty nice! Lovely model of a horse, good luck with him

Hamlet

Visit site
Thank you all I am smitten with him already he’s a sweetheart to boot.

Humblepie he’s a French bred TB raced in France and the uk as a 4 and 5 year old. I need to figure out the passport situation as he still only has French papers.

Visit site
Thank you all I am smitten with him already he’s a sweetheart to boot.

Humblepie he’s a French bred TB raced in France and the uk as a 4 and 5 year old. I need to figure out the passport situation as he still only has French papers.

If he has raced or trained in the UK then it will have British pages stapled in it by the BHA. Which is perfectly fine and legal for all thing British.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
With my french horse I had to change ownership in France as the French passport is an ID doc and ownership registration was separate. At that time a card however think it's all online now. However I was his first UK owner and had only been in training in France, not raced.

I emailed the French agency and they were very helpful

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Putting this in here as we achieved another milestone today - the ex racehorse did his first intermediate (also my first intermediate). A few tappy poles in a technical course SJ, but he stayed positive and forwards. And then really awesome around the xc in pretty sticky, heavy going. Not bad for a horse that we originally thought wasn't brave enough to get round 80s/90s! Just a case of very slowly building up his confidence.