Returning to horses after a baby?

Celticecho

New User
Visit site
For those of you who have had a baby, how long did you need to take off before getting back to looking after your horses?
I know everyone is different but I am trying to make a plan and I really have no idea!
I have two horses of my own and do freelance grooming which I am planning to carry on with as soon as possible after the baby. I am sure I will have to take a lot more time off of riding but was hoping to be back mucking out my two within a couple of weeks. Possible or am I dreaming?

yhanni

Visit site
It will depend on the birth really. Plus how old/ fit you are, how much support you will have, whether the baby sleeps etc If everything is straightforward, then you should be able to muck out within a couple of days. If you end up having a Caesarean or stitches, then everything will obviously take longer. You need plans and contingencies!

Littlebear

Visit site
My recovery took a while, I had a massive haemorrhage while giving birth and that took a while to recover from, also the episiotomy stitches weren’t pleasant and I had a hematoma so it would have been impossible for quite a while to go to the horses! I was just bed bound for a few weeks. I would say it was about 6 weeks before I could do fairly normal things.
If you have a c section you’ll be restricted for a few months aswell.
There are plenty of women that have easy births and are back to normal within a few days but if you’re making a plan there is a possibility you could need a few months rather than a few weeks off x good luck x

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
If you have a good birth and you and baby are both well, two weeks is about do-able. I know a few ladies who have got back in their size 8 jods and not even blinked.... even after baby number 4!

Not so with me... best laid plans went to pot after an emergency c-section, infection and a few other complications. I took me a good couple of months to recover and get back on.

Congratulations and all the very best for you & baby x

meleeka

Visit site
As above it depends on how it all goes. I was back in a couple of days. It was my. It of normality that I felt I needed to keep hold of. It was summer though so no mucking out. I did walk to the village and get shopping and carrying shopping home nearly finished me off so be aware your back might be tender.

Nudibranch

Visit site
As above -it all depends how things go. Just be a bit careful; I've just had open surgery for a hernia repair which was probably caused by my own stupidity. Lifting hay bales and scraping muddy floors at 8 months pregnant. I had a normal delivery with a few stitches so didn't ride until 7 weeks but I'd have felt strong enough to muck out after about 2 weeks. Mine live out so it wasn't an issue but you do need a bit of recovery time even if things go well. It pays off in the long run.

Celticecho

New User
Visit site
Thank you all. It’s good to hear a range of experiences. It is May before I am due so they can just get used to living out!
I suppose it depends very much on how the baby is too. I’m planning to just strap her to me and carry on but that may well be wishful thinking!
My mum will be able to look after the horses while I am out of action but I think my mental health relies on me getting back to it as soon as possible!

Farma

Visit site
Thank you all. It’s good to hear a range of experiences. It is May before I am due so they can just get used to living out!
I suppose it depends very much on how the baby is too. I’m planning to just strap her to me and carry on but that may well be wishful thinking!
My mum will be able to look after the horses while I am out of action but I think my mental health relies on me getting back to it as soon as possible!

My mental health relied on it too! I used to strap bubba to me and teach / do jobs etc which was great, its when they can walk/run the fun begins!

tallyho!

Visit site

Once I was well, I strapped my lo on my back and did all the chores, he was fine, slept the whole time. I did have a saint of a horse though to handle, but I didn't do anything with the youngster - she lived out in a herd and was checked on only - didn't risk high jinks with baby. Had a couple of funny looks and well meaning remarks from liveries but I just smiled and said thanks for the concern.

You do what you have to do, you adapt and never be afraid to ask for help :)

windand rain

Visit site
I was back after a c section after the 6 week check up but did have a great OH who did as much with the kids as I did. only issue was they were exclusively breast fed so had to be in a routine so I had the time free. One thing I will say is although my mental health depends on the ponies I did find a shift in priorities which made me think about the responsibilities a bit more and risk assessment was my first thought with anything I did

alainax

Visit site
Just under 6 weeks with both, deep episiotomy first time, then emergency section second time.

It’s a nice goal to have to get you up and mobile quickly :)

Pilib

Visit site
Had a traumatic birth with tearing and an episiotomy. Had her on a Monday night, was up and about and mucked out 2 by the Friday Morning.
Took 4 weeks to get back on a horse and that was mostly because the horse was difficult and new.
Good luck!

charlie76

Visit site
I had my baby 11 weeks ago, had a difficult time , waters broke on thursday, baby not born until sunday after being induced twice.. he was presented back to back which they didnt realise and he was stuck. Very brutal pulling him out and a episiotomy. He was badly bruised and swollen and was in the special baby unit with jaundice for three days.
Once home he developed terrible reflux which caused us two more three day stays in hospital via àmbulance. All been very tiring.
That said, i was back at the yard three days after leaving hospital and back on board after 10 days.
I have my own yard with 26 liveries and staff, i was organising the rota whilst in the delivery suite and checking the yard was ok! I have struggled with the stress of running the yard, the guilt of either not riding or being at the yard and the worry of him being there for two long.
I now have mum and mum in law for a few hours three orr four times a week so i can ride without worry. The other days, i make sure he is fed and warm and park him by the school in his pram whilst i ride.
Luckily mine are old enough to not need long and to crack on. I stick them on the walker to warm up and cool down saving time.
We also have a heated syaff room so some where warm and dry to change and feed him.
Im still not there in the mormings most days as its too cold and im exhausted.
It can work, just be prepared for things to be different. I used to be mega fussy with their grooming, im far more laid back about it. I have also stopped being precious about who rides them. A number of people help me ride them and actually, they are going better for it!
Good luck. Its worth it .

tallyho!

Visit site
haha ditto about the being fussy about grooming :D nowadays as long as there's a clean patch for the saddle to go on despite their natural colour, all are the colour of grey mud :D