REVIEW YOUR YEAR: How was your 2016 in horses?

pippixox

Visit site
My horses have taken a long holiday this year! As I have been pregnant and had a little boy start of September. Such a lovely hot summer and I was an uncomfortable heavily pregnant lady who could not manage to get on a horse anymore!
They have all been stars- quite happy to have very little attention and be free living out nearly all year so far.
Mega proud of my mare, who after 7 months off has behaved perfectly- going straight back to hacking out on her own.
My old boy nearly died from some sort of brain cyst causing his head to swell, covering one eye and causing nose bleeds. We thought he would have just a few weeks summer grazing on lots of painkillers but he is still here :) just has a permanent lump on his head now.
Plan on getting back on the ponies soon- who were backed summer/Autumn 2015!
2017 will be a challenge continuing to manage 4 horses, baby and freelance groom work with him as maternity pay is rubbish!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mixed year for us. On the one hand, poor old Millie did one too many wheelies in the field and mangled her sdft. .. threw the kitchen sink at it but she won't return to dressage :( fairly devastating as it was all starting to get really exciting. .. tailcoat was almost ready to make a reappearance but hey ho, she's well and happy, and owes me nothing so we'll take a new direction and aim at some veteran showing next year. I think she'll like going to parties again and it won't be too physically demanding.

On the other hand, kira has just got better and better. She's really come out of her shell and advanced in her training faster than I could have imagined. Looking at doing her first medium test just after Xmas and we've got reliable changes each way so really excited for next year. Swings and roundabouts. .. kira doing so well has really taken the edge off my disappointment over Millie.

doodle

Visit site
Started off by selling a horse. He wasn't right for me so sold him
In Jan. Then in Feb bought new boy who is great. Won our first dressage show. Had a few lessons. Then found out he really liked jumping and so spent the summer praising him out of yo's daughter hands while we got him ready to event. She did the jumpy bits and I did the boring bits. Did 2 be90 successfully.
Things hen clearly going too well and his feet started to fall apart. Wld diagnosed and cut our and shoes taken off. Time off work.
Sept he developed lymphangitis.
Oct he had a viral infection causing all legs to swell.
Nov feet had improved and started him back into work. Rode about 5 times then everything froze. I then became ill so he hasn't been ridden since.
Dec and he now has an abscess on his elbow. Still without shoes but farrier next week an dhoping fronts can go back on. Then if I get some motivation back into work again.

huskydamage

Visit site
Started the year as last year thinking I won't do x,y,z this year as my horse is too old. Who hunts a 24yr old horse? Etc Had her tank off with me like a mad thing in all activities and prove me wrong! Moved yards. Did a three day challenge ride with her after riding 3 months bareback due to saddle problems. Saddle now fixed! Did the longest journey I've ever done with her in box (8hrs).
Went to Golega horse festival in Portugal and decided I would totally buy a lusitano if I ever move out there.
For 2017 I need to stop obsessing about every bit of age deterioration in my horse and just enjoy her while she's still active, I had the vet out to her 3 times this year in my paranoia and only one time she actually needed something (a recoccured eye ulcer). I think the vet thinks I like spending money!

rachk89

Visit site
Wasn't a bad year really.

Finally got over my fear of getting on a horse (stupid I know)
Then horse decided that confidence wasn't allowed so started acting up when being ridden.
Over that now and he is behaving well and it's looking good.
Done a couple of small competitions nothing major.

Next year however I want to:
Train him up to novice/elementary level dressage maybe even further.
Do more jumping.
Do more hacking.
Take part in an 80cm BE event for the wobbleberry event.

So fingers crossed all goes well. :)

Drzoidberg2

Visit site
I started the year with a broken pelvis, and confidence on the floor. As I recovered I had loads of support and help, but was getting nowhere fast. Then I made the heartbreaking decision to sell my mare, and kind of reached the decision to swear off horses forever.

That lasted all of a month when a friend stepped in and put me in contact with a friend of hers who had an "amazing, kind but buzzy older mare" in the field getting fat. 3 weeks later she landed in the stable that's part of my rent, and I haven't looked back. Amazing and kind don't do her justice, I've never met a sweeter one, but she does have a few quirks too, so I never feel I've taken a step back in what I can ride.

We've had ups and downs, she is very buzzy, I'm very nervous, it doesn't always work. It's the first time I've had one on diy as I only moved to my current house after I fell off my young mare, so that has been a serious learning experience.

We've been through the mill a few times, between illness (horse and rider) injury (rider) and confidence issues (definitely the rider) but we have also made some steady progress.

Next year is all about me working on trusting her, and finding my brave pants and getting out and about with her, so roll on 2017! :)

Fools Motto

Visit site
I think this has been the worst horsey year possible.
In January I had a lovely horsey job - my perfection. I enjoyed looking after the 15 or so ponies in my care and teaching the children. I thought it was a secure job. I was constantly told I was brilliant, with no concerns. By early july, the children told me i was leaving - not even the school bursar nor the head of the department had told me. (I was 'officially' told the next day). I can't tell you how hard that hit me in the gut. I'm not sure I'm over it now.
Meanwhile, my beloved mare Meg kept me sane. We went on lovely hacks, did one schooling session, she started 'teaching' my kids, gave my daughter her first experience of a canter, and trotted around sweetly with my son. I was very proud of her gentle nature, despite her usual cheeky spooky strong ways with me!!
I then did a non horsey job for a few weeks. I lost the will to go on.. (Got asked to leave that - not surprisingly really, I must have been very 'lights on but no-one home' sort.
During this time, I had 'that phone call' from my mum who was looking after Meg that day while I was at work. The words spoken on the phone, ''she needs help'', I just knew. I phoned the vet and said it is time, please come quickly. I hadn't even seen her by this point. I swore I wouldn't let her suffer, told myself over and over again as I drove to her field. The light of my world was put out barely an hour later. She was suffering from sudden severe lami, induced thanks to cushings. She had been fit, sound and happy the previous day. I had her little loyal companion put down too.
No more horses.
I couldn't get any more miserable. The lowest point of my life right there.

10 days later, i pulled my socks up, started holding my head higher, and managed to get a good job with race horses. I haven't ridden them yet (on a fitness/lose weight goal) but loving looking after them. Really enjoying it. I'm waffling about horses again, smelling of horses again and smiling again.

I'm looking forward to 2017, I have some goals I would love to reach! Riding again, and being on the TV leading up are on my 'to do list'!!!

Visit site
I'm looking forward to 2017, I have some goals I would love to reach! Riding again, and being on the TV leading up are on my 'to do list'!!!

You kind of forget you are on tv most of the time at a normal meeting but you always remember to look smarter on Channel 4 days! Though no amount of winners quite beats bringing your own charge back into the winners spot!

With my own this year the wee meat money coloured job has excelled himself in the show ring. Always in the top 3 including 3rd at the Highland Show among all the coloured cobs and reserve supreme shetland at Perth Show. He took to long lining and lunging like a duck to water so bring on January when he gets clipped and backed properly ready for his ridden career!

With the others Gray only got out a couple of times and was a complete pillock but I do think it's because he is too fresh as he rarely did enough work as I simply didn't have time! My darty, bless him, got dragged out of the field and ridden for 2 days before he went to a show and pulled out a 3rd in the ridden veteran, won the in-hand veteran and stood 2nd in the in-hand M&M. Freebs is such a sweet pony who always tries his hardest for you!

We only got 1 of the mares out to a show this year and she stood reserve champion so no complaints in that sphere!

I just wish I had more time to actually ride the motley crew!

Work wise one of my charges won his 5th race out of 9 starts, another finished 3rd at the Cheltenham Festival, 4th at Aintree and 5th at Punchestown! Unfortunately I wasn't at any of those meetings to lead him up!

As it stands at the moment I don't have any horses to ride either at home or at work until they return from holiday over the next few weeks so I have now hit 101 clips so far this season! That's a lot of hair!!!

WelshD

Visit site
our year

I started the year with two pet ponies

11.2hh Welshie went for professional breaking in and schooling in April, came back looking fantastic, had his cheeky Welshie green moments but in general is enjoying his rides with a local 7 year old

13.2hh Welshie is only three so has done some inhand showing with me (which I really enjoy as I am too overweight to ride) he is such a dim kind soul and we have had some great fun, got some lovely photos and now he has gone to winter out at a stud before being broken in next year

So they have gone from totally pet ponies in to having a useful future which I feel good about as there isnt much of a market for unbroken adult native ponies

Then in July pony number three came along, a 12.2 show pony type, she had two months with me then was sent for breaking in and schooling, she went to her first show a couple of weeks ago which was truly wonderful

So... two ponies broken in and home for the winter, one away playing with other youngsters and one very happy owner

so very skint though

Fools Motto

Visit site
Just to add to my post, and to make it even worse. In 2014/2015 I was groom to 7 lovely horses. Sadly this summer 3 of them, not related, had to be pts. All of them are much missed.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Old cob is probably around 30 now and has continued to enjoy his retirement out in the field and looks fab - terrorising the herd and our YO from time to time. He had his traditional pop at the vet in August when it was time for vaccinations so this confirmed that he is really well!

Young cob turned four in May and was lightly ridden in the early part of the year with some hacking and a lesson once a week. We also went along to some horse agility where the daft beast did his best to destroy a number of obstacles! Very sadly our lovely trainer become very ill around Easter time and couldn't continue working. However, we had already been along to a classical in-hand clinic and were fortunately able to transfer to that trainer, continuing with in-hand at first and then ridden lessons.

The year has had lots of highs and lows but we are very slowly heading in the right direction. I need a hip replacement but I'm hobbling along in the meantime. We are able to confidently hack out alone and a major breakthough was a first canter a few weeks ago -it is sublime especially after old cob's buck-into-canter-style. I'm getting much better at concentrating so young cob is too and he is amazingly steady! Hacking in company is a work in progress but this also improving. Young cob also has amazing paces and now I'm more confident on top we are starting to find those thanks to our amazingly patient trainer - at first I was so anxious that I could only manage a small circle at one end of her school! I'm also hoping that she will take him out to some dressage competitions. He continues to demolish obstacles at horse agility!

NZJenny

Visit site
I had another wonderful year with my young mare who has just turned five.
- we continue our dressage journey.
- we have discovered working equitation - Maggie approves as long as I don't keep whacking her in the head with the garoucha.
- And although I have retired from endurance, we are competitive trail riding and it turns out that Maggie (Not an Ounce of Arabian) has great heart rates.

Looking forward to 2017!

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
I've definitely had better but it could have been much worse.

It started out pretty badly when my boy tore a tendon in his leg in mid-January, he was on box rest for about six months, we started taking him out in hand around April, rode for the first time in June, he's still not 100% but we are only happy hackers anyway so we're just slowing down a bit now.

I also had my first fall in about 10 years, when on holiday in South Africa, but it was absolutely the most amazing holdiday of my life and a minor bad back from a fall was worth it! Although I'm still hoping I won't fall off again when I go back next year!

Despite the above 2016 has been a great year, let's hope the horsey side improves in 2017 to make it an even better one!

mytwofriends

Visit site
Mixed.

In summer 2015 I made the decision to turn away my small horse after box rest for a damaged DDFT was turning a bit dangerous. He'd had two prolonged stints, and had reached the end of his tether.

He came sound in the spring - vet gave the all clear to ride him, with a guarded caveat that it would make or break him. He was happy, so I took the chance and he felt awesome.

Easter Sunday, found him unable to move in the field (he lived out 24/7.) To cut a long story short, he'd been bitten by an adder and after two weeks of intensive care, he didn't make it. He was PTS on April 14th. I was so thankful to have had a wonderful ride on Easter Saturday. He'd felt like his old self.

On the flip side, I've had more time to dedicate to my dear old retired boy. He's 25 and an absolute gentleman. He's one of those horses who could never be replicated and I've had him for nearly 10 years.

I've discovered I don't miss riding at all. I've had horse for over 40 years, and once my oldie goes, that'll be it. I adore looking after him and he wants for nothing. I shall enjoy him while he's still here. He and I have had a lovely 2016, and hopefully 2017 will be too.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Very hard year!

Started with saddle issues.
Saddle sorted.
Broke all ribs on left side.
Got back on.
Saddle issues.
Turned horse away.
Got a new horse.
Confidence still somewhere around 40cms.
Accepted as a Wobbleberry to do a BE80 for Charity in 2017.
Booked Geoff Billington lesson for January in the lowest height (80-90). Currently weeping my way over 60cms and hoping to get him going over a decent height in time for Geoff lesson. (Horse is a 1m20 horse previously but that's with someone competent!)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Not as successful as many others but this year after 20 odd years of dreaming I got back in the saddle and got my first horse (on loan). Been taking things very slowly with him but hoping this time next year I'll be able to have a proper list of achievements 😊

Peaches that's massively exciting and is a huge proper achievement! Congratulations ;)

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
Mine has been interesting to say the least.
We moved from London back to Australia and brought the big horse with us. He endured a 35 hour long odyssey of flights to get here and has racked up more frequent flyer points than me I think ��
He arrived at the yard a year ago out of quarantine on a 44 degree day (horse born and raised in County Durham mind you) so he practically slid down the ramp of the lorry aka the Wicked Witch of the West with an expression of "I'm melting!" kind of moment.
He now copes with the heat, and loves the clover on tap, loves his hose downs and baths (this is a horse that had never been washed and was terrified of it near him with even a damp sponge sending him crazy), is the yard favourite with everyone but is less than impressed with the abundance of flies. As am I. I nearly swallowed one a few days ago whilst schooling ��
We are still very, very slowly to learn to hack out alone without him having a complete mental breakdown but we have both made loads of new and lovely friends that have been so helpful and welcoming that I'm overwhelmed.
We need to be aware of the snakes that live in the wetlands on the property plus the local wildlife including the bush wallabies have him a little worried too (I'm sure he thinks they are giant squirrels which he has always been terrified of). I do miss hacking out in the snow though in beautiful Surrey but hey ho, this is our home now and I plan to embrace it with gusto. We both still miss the old dart and I'd give anything to be back there. Yep, the grass is always greener they say and in this case it literally is!

Last edited:

3OldPonies

Visit site
Some of you have had such amazing years, and that baby alpaca is just soooo cute.

For me and my chaps its been a real mixed bag, starting this time last year I lost my job (redundant) and little P arrived - what an adorable, cute, funny and cuddly monster he was - drove me, big P and H absolutely nuts to start with until he settled in. He was just starting to relax and trust us - after several battles one of which found its way onto this board as I was at my wits end, when he passed away so suddenly and without warning. We were all devastated. on the flip side though - by the time this happened he was truly one of the herd and giving big P such fun as they chased around together, H had to stay separated the fun and games were too much for his old joints. We've come through a change of landlord (not much fun at the time) but at least we still have a field under our feet, H has recently survived a really nasty colic and we're battling through the mud as best we can and we're all still standing even though the year has been so eventful and are looking forward to a lovely Christmas.

minkymoo

Visit site
Hmm... Both awful and good.

I had my last ride on my gorgeous PRE boy in January on his birthday as I was 4 months pregnant with my 2nd child (and riding was so, so uncomfortable!) I am so glad I did as he had to be pts in April. His knee/leg issues (see previous posts!) had become so much worse. He fell over with my friend and I spoke with my vet who'd been with us the whole journey who suggested it would be for the best. He was only 5.

I was completely heartbroken. He was my horse of a lifetime and I'd had him since he was 6 months old. Still even now, I want to just cry and cry when I think about him and I can't really talk too much about him.

By a twist of fate, a PRE mare came my way, she was 3 and unbacked, but a lovely mover and very sweet. I made the decision to buy her and turn her away until after I had my baby. We're in the process of backing her now and she's doing remarkably well. She's very smart and is really enjoying her work.

She's like my boy in some ways, but very different in others. She looks nothing like him other than being the same breed, which I am pleased about. I am looking forward to our future together and not worrying about her tripping and me coming out the front door!!

So, 2016 has had its ups & downs but I am ready to embrace 2017 and make sure I shift the baby weight so I can get on & enjoy riding again!

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
This is fun!

I did a blog post a couple of weeks back reviewing the year in terms of our own highlights, the Scottish season highlights and the whole UK and Ireland highlights, but to summarise my year personally:

Two new arrivals - Cliff and Phil, my two colt foals
The return of a familiar face - my first pacer, Smokey (now 22), was gifted back to me after 9 years apart (took me all that time to track her down)
Winning with all 3 horses we trained - particularly special with Ace as she is mine and OH's first homebred using our new prefix (plus she won a race which OH has been chasing all his life!)
My Dad going a bit crazy and spending a small fortune on 2 new horses; one to breed from and one to race next year.

The lowlights were the bad luck we had with Stevie, firstly in a handicap final in which he was walking all over the competition when the race was pulled up due to an accident in the backfield; in the re-run he was beaten by a backmarker who hadn't used up much fuel in the first running, and then when he put his leg through a fence 3 days before running in a televised meeting at Musselburgh which ended his season; nearly losing Phil (the foal) at 4 weeks old (thankfully he pulled through but it was touch and go for a couple of days); Ace being sick at a crucial part of her training (she recovered); Cassius being sick at a crucial part of his training (he didn't recover in time and his season was cut short, although he got over it pretty quickly when the prospect of work stopped!).

Roll on next year is all I can say, as we're expecting a new foal in April and we have Ace, Stevie, Eternal and a mystery fourth horse due to come in to be trained!