Reviews of Wow Free Space girth?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well, I have a couple of things to report...

Firstly, the trainers at camp were upset at the air gap at the sides and made me do it up quite tightly.

Secondly, on coming home, I have contacted the company about fit and they assured me that the air gap is correct. They were very helpful and said they now do a narrow version, and yes, I could swap to that if I was concerned. Top marks to the company!

Thirdly, we won at dressage again today! For the first time he was flowing forwards so I wasn't tempted to pull back to 'find' him. View attachment 97429View attachment 97430

The stick on smilies ???

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Well, I have a couple of things to report...

Firstly, the trainers at camp were upset at the air gap at the sides and made me do it up quite tightly.

Secondly, on coming home, I have contacted the company about fit and they assured me that the air gap is correct. They were very helpful and said they now do a narrow version, and yes, I could swap to that if I was concerned. Top marks to the company!

Thirdly, we won at dressage again today! For the first time he was flowing forwards so I wasn't tempted to pull back to 'find' him.

This drives me nuts. I've had PC instructors especially say a jump saddle isn't suitable for a long legged kid, that elasticated girths are bad, that asymmetric girthing is bad, that you can't have a half pad...you name it. And trainers that takes saddles off point straps and others that start shimming themselves. Leave it alone trainers, you don't know enough on the whole, refer the rider back to the saddle fitter or contact us yourselves and ask!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
This drives me nuts. I've had PC instructors especially say a jump saddle isn't suitable for a long legged kid, that elasticated girths are bad, that asymmetric girthing is bad, that you can't have a half pad...you name it. And trainers that takes saddles off point straps and others that start shimming themselves. Leave it alone trainers, you don't know enough on the whole, refer the rider back to the saddle fitter or contact us yourselves and ask!!
To be fair to the trainers, it was at camp, they never met me before and the gaps do look kinda scary!

Fieldlife

Visit site
Mine arrived late today, 10 days after ordering with 'express delivery'. I know from here that's normal but still grates a bit. It has one sheet of paper with it that says 'only relevant to Free Space dressage girths' and I have the long version. Ho hum - poor marks for service so far.
I can see lots of helpful fitting advice above so feel fairly confident for tomorrow, the only think I'm wondering about is where the things that hold the two girth straps ('girth sleeves' I think) together are meant to sit? Do they just slip down towards the pad or should I try to get them up near the saddle?

I think the issue which the website doesnt state, is they dont keep the girths in stock, they are making them all to order, so they have to make it after you pay, then it is being express dispatched once made.

Bad news is they are on holiday as a whole all next week.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Interesting. So I got the short girth about 3-4 weeks ago for dressage saddle. Horse likes it and has massively stabilised it, saddle tends to slip a bit right (owing to both horse and rider issues that are being looked at). Saddler very happy with saddle and girth.

Jump saddle was still moving off to right. So I also ordered a long girth, which arrived last night.

Tested it with Harry Dabbs girth and WOW free space girth with saddler this morning. The saddle moves with Harry Dabbs and not with the Wow free space girth!

So I now have two!!!! My saddler loves the design and gap. Horse seems happy too. (Husband and bank balance very not happy!)

For me the 30 inch dressage girth was same size as my 30 inch Mattes athletico. But the 52 inch long girth was over 2 inches shorter in use than my 52 inch (fairly new) Harry Dabbs long girth. I am swapping straps for 54" inch straps.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think the issue which the website doesnt state, is they dont keep the girths in stock, they are making them all to order, so they have to make it after you pay, then it is being express dispatched once made.

To be fair that's probably because of huge demand. I bought early, mine was in stock. They should tell you, though, and not charge for express delivery they can't provide.

Ludo's improvements are still ovbious after a month. I can now get a more consistent contact than I've ever been able to up to now.

Reactions: JGC

JGC

Visit site
Thirdly, we won at dressage again today! For the first time he was flowing forwards so I wasn't tempted to pull back to 'find' him.

Holy smokes, this is EXACTLY what I do with the mare in my avatar and have been struggling with for the last couple of months - I can't wait for the saddle fitter to come, counting down to next Tuesday.

Congratulations on your test, he looks beautiful in the photos.

Hallo2012

Visit site
So I used it tonight to go on a short hack, mostly walk coz of the ground but did a bit of trot.
First impressions are that it was simple to fit. It seemed to just go into place easily. Wasn’t quite sure how it was meant to look to be honest but ycbm helped me out when I posted a photo (thank you!)
Easy to do up. I ordered the normal size and my pro choice girth goes on hole 3 on both sides, whereas this seemed more comfortable on hole 2 on both sides.

Did I see an amazing difference in Millie? Not really. She did march out today better than yesterday (she had felt a little bit stuffy in walk yesterday) but I can’t say for certain it was the girth. Could have been anything and I will have to use it over a period of time to really work out if there’s any difference. I didn’t notice any difference to her way of going in trot, albeit we only trotted around the edges of a couple of small fields.

Good points- I was impressed that it didn’t slip. I normally have to use the pro choice grippy one so I fully expected this to slip, but it did not budge once. It should be nice and easy to wipe clean.
Millie isn’t girthy anyway and she was fine with this one too.

I shall continue with it for the reasons above and I shall monitor our rides for any improvement, or otherwise.

this is interesting as i also use a pro choice for the grip...... effect.....

Fieldlife

Visit site
I practiced removing the straps tonight and it's so easy, going to order the long straps tomorrow ?

I did it today too (as I’m getting longer ones and keeping all the other parts.) I thought it was quite fiddly process slipping the buckles off. Not tried putting back on, but don’t think be super quick?

I pretty much alternate using jump and dressage saddle so I’d be changing 6 times a week.

I guess it depends, if I took all girths back and forwards home, I could swap at home when not under time pressure?

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I did it today too (as I’m getting longer ones and keeping all the other parts.) I thought it was quite fiddly process slipping the buckles off. Not tried putting back on, but don’t think be super quick?

I pretty much alternate using jump and dressage saddle so I’d be changing 6 times a week.

I guess it depends, if I took all girths back and forwards home, I could swap at home when not under time pressure?

My plan was to buy 1 set of long leathers and 1 set of buckles then i don't need to undo 4 buckles, only 2. I have a similar ratio to you, and alternate between each saddle all week.

I'm going to see if my horsebox passes it's MOT and that will decide if i save and just get straps or splurge and get another girth!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Precisely why they should butt out, that's even worse than a regular trainer. Overstepping.
Whereas I think that if the trainers see a new piece of kit in a new design that they are concerned may not be fitted safely, then they are correct to step in ?‍♀️.

I personally dislike the look of this design of girth with the large gap, though I accept that some HHOers are pleased with it and think that their horses prefer it.

sbloom

They should be asking about it, there is no reason to think it would be unsafe especially if it's clearly made by Wow and not some random company. Just telling someone they don't like it and to crank it up is less than helpful.

Fieldlife

Visit site
They should be asking about it, there is no reason to think it would be unsafe especially if it's clearly made by Wow and not some random company. Just telling someone they don't like it and to crank it up is less than helpful.

If a trainer asked me about it, I’d say it’s tight enough under the pad, and saddle isn’t slipping. I’d suggest put fingers under actual pad.

I’m old and grumpy enough to be thoroughly annoyed if any trainer proactively altered my tack without asking if it was okay!

Fieldlife

Visit site
My plan was to buy 1 set of long leathers and 1 set of buckles then i don't need to undo 4 buckles, only 2. I have a similar ratio to you, and alternate between each saddle all week.

I'm going to see if my horsebox passes it's MOT and that will decide if i save and just get straps or splurge and get another girth!

That’s a good idea, I had two take all 4 off to send back straps. Taking only 2 off would make half as fiddly.

TBH it’s one of the reasons I avoid camps even with really good trainers, as I think can be really hard to come in cold and make constructive input to a partnership, so instruction can be a bit hit or miss!

sbloom

Tightening nosebands, putting girths on different straps...these things have big effects and imo shouldn't be done by a trainer unless it CLEARLY fixes a very real problem. I've said it before Manolo Mendez once put one of my saddles on 2 and 3 straps instead of 1 and 3 as he hates point straps. Certainly in the long term (I wasn't there at the time of course) it caused problems and solved nothing so we had a horse with issues when I went out a few weeks later...and I love Manolo Mendez!

Pippity

Visit site
If a trainer asked me about it, I’d say it’s tight enough under the pad, and saddle isn’t slipping. I’d suggest put fingers under actual pad.

I’m old and grumpy enough to be thoroughly annoyed if any trainer proactively altered my tack without asking if it was okay!

I had a one-off lesson with a different instructor who thought it was far too loose, because she hadn't realised there was a double-thickness to the pad. Once she actually put her fingers under the pad, she agreed it was fine.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Tightening nosebands, putting girths on different straps...these things have big effects and imo shouldn't be done by a trainer unless it CLEARLY fixes a very real problem. I've said it before Manolo Mendez once put one of my saddles on 2 and 3 straps instead of 1 and 3 as he hates point straps. Certainly in the long term (I wasn't there at the time of course) it caused problems and solved nothing so we had a horse with issues when I went out a few weeks later...and I love Manolo Mendez!
agreed, some horses are forgiving to the point of not really noticing changes, and others really aren't. I used to have jump training with someone who insisted all horses wore flash nosebands - the training was improving me so much it was worth going along with a loose fitted bottom strap as my horse didn't mind, it was just totally unnecessary as she never opened her mouth.

My current horse is far more sensitive to changes, he wears a drop noseband and i tried him in a cavesson recently to see if it would improve the tension he has in his mouth... unrideable giraffing ensued and he was hugely stressed all session even when i swapped it back. that's a no then. His owner had previously told me he was choosy about girths so while i remain interested in this one I am not throwing vast amounts of money around on experimental things with this one! i still have a fairfax in my kit and might try that one day when i am feeling brave/sticky :p

sbloom

This particular saddle ended up half way up this Luso's neck, the rider sitting on the back, and because a physio then got involved too it was up on 2 thick layers of prolite, despite the fact it was fitted with a shimmed Mattes pad. He was SO much happier when I moved the saddle back and put the Mattes on, the saddle hadn't even needed adjusting! And I had one that had unsuccessful hock injections because she insisted on girthing her saddle on 2 and 4 and not 1 and 3, despite repeated written instructions, so it too sat forwards and tipped backwards. I made the horse way happier than the injections had in the same way!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Lottie has had monthly physio/sports massage since I’ve had her. The physio assesses and treats tight bits with massage/ultrasound, laser m, stretches or exercise therapy. Her back has got better and better since her injury but the main problem area since we started jumping has been her pecs. Today she said the change is remarkable. Feels totally normal now there now. No gnarly bits, tight bits, stick bits. Everything soft, supple and moving freely. Today there was literally nothing to treat. She felt fantastic. So she just had a general massage. I said do you think it’s the girth. She said I can’t see what else it could be.

Her work load is much the same and we jumped BN last week. She’s still in full work so it’s not rest that has helped. I’m sold for sure.

Fieldlife

Visit site

LOL I am clearly not safe to remove straps!! (I needed to remove the 52 inch girth straps to swap for the 54 inch girth straps). I sent the 52 back, and amazing service, the 54 arrived next day. However when I went to put the 54 straps back on, I have lost one of the long girth sleeves!!! :-( How is mystery to me, as I have only had girth at work, in my bag, in the car, and at home in a cupboard. But it has vanished. So I have just had to order new sleeve, as I dont think I can use long girth without it.

I think I might rule out swapping straps / buckles / sleeves for me as I am clearly hopeless!!

Fieldlife

Visit site
I'm finding the sleeves just slide down and end up doing very little - what are yours doing? Have mailed Wow to ask where they are supposed to sit but no reply yet. I don't seem to be getting great service.

I think mine just lessen the chance of pinching from the long girth straps. they fractionally lift the girth straps, and keep them straight and parallel and limit any twisting / angling. I find them no issue. But I dont want to use girth without them. The photo I have of mine in use has them at the top, but I think are unobtrusive and doesnt really matter where sit.

Maybe call WOW on the number on the invoice? I have found them really helpful.

scats

Visit site
agreed, some horses are forgiving to the point of not really noticing changes, and others really aren't. I used to have jump training with someone who insisted all horses wore flash nosebands - the training was improving me so much it was worth going along with a loose fitted bottom strap as my horse didn't mind, it was just totally unnecessary as she never opened her mouth.

My current horse is far more sensitive to changes, he wears a drop noseband and i tried him in a cavesson recently to see if it would improve the tension he has in his mouth... unrideable giraffing ensued and he was hugely stressed all session even when i swapped it back. that's a no then. His owner had previously told me he was choosy about girths so while i remain interested in this one I am not throwing vast amounts of money around on experimental things with this one! i still have a fairfax in my kit and might try that one day when i am feeling brave/sticky :p

I doubt he’s the same size but I’d be happy to send mine to you to try if he was.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Final report, i promise! So today was a good test to see what was happening and if I could still feel an improvement, once again WOW! We went to a local pole work clinic, it's very intense, not just a few poles on the ground. We started these clinics in January and he has improved a lot but always lacked consistency in his frame and was hard to manoeuvre. Today he floated!! He moved off my inside leg, he had a lovely frame with a lovely soft, supple back and he just felt amazing, just like i always knew he could, i just needed the key!

Identityincrisis

Visit site
D*mn you all. I do NOT have £250 spare for a girth!!!! ? stopppppit! I have this niggling feeling that The Beast would really, really appreciate the freedom behind the shoulder it would give.

Christmas. Birthday. FORTIETH BIRTHDAY IN JANUARY. ? better than like jewellery or anything like that surely?

Oh WAAAAYYYYYY better than boring jewellery!! And you'd get waaaaayyyyyy more pleasure out of it! I now have to go and buy another one but with long straps, now THAT is gutting!!