Rider dies at Sapey One Day Event

Mel85

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Peta Beckett died after her horse crushed her in a box, not from actual riding, didn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Peta Beckett died after a fall at a bounce fence at Savernake.

moon_drop

Visit site
That made me go cold. How awful, thoughts to her friends and family.
frown.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
How very sad, my sincere condolences to her family and friends.
Riding is a dangerous sport, as the majority of us find out at some stage in our riding lives, and often it's just luck that stops us becoming another statistic; I don't think it matters what level it's at, the chance of an accident is always there with an animal, I've seen horses take fences so fast at PC comps they hit the fence chest on and break their necks before they hit the ground. Riders haven't a lot of chance if half a ton of horse lands on them, imagine that weight in bricks.
There have been days when I have wondered what I would do if my husband or daughter seriously hurt themselves, then reality kicks in and I remember all the terrible falls I had when younger.
I think if you ask anyone who rides they would rather take the risk than give up, and anyone riding XC understands that adrenalin rush only too well, as adults we all know what we're doing galloping fast on a horse, it's just so terribly sad when it goes wrong as above.
(sounds a horse with experience too, so must have just been a fluke..)

spaniel

Visit site
Oh Jesus.
frown.gif

Condolences to all. I know riding is a risky sport but it doesnt make a fatality any easier to bear.

dingle12

Visit site
how sad thought are with her family, i hope we dont have any more accidents ive been at two events now were riders have got killed one of them i saw it happened on cctv. At least they died doing wot they loved.

Taboo1968

Visit site
Unfortunately as my partner was the medical cover for this event, I got to hear about this as soon as it happened yesterday, but obviously as it had not been made official I could not say anything.....
Partner rang me and my first question was did the horse fall on her.... his answer was no, this was a head injury..... she was airlifted straight out of the event and taken to hospital....
At the moment these are the only details I know.....
My deepest sympathy to the family and her friends