Rider fitness

Denbob

Visit site
Hello all!

Related to a similar thread but what does everyone find is the best way to get (and then stay) 'horse riding fit' if you're not riding regularly? Thinking particularly about leg strength and stablity but all areas could do with improving!

Tia x

Wheels

Visit site
What do you do with the kettlebells?

I am in the gym 3x per week doing a combination of weights and cardio - keeps me fit and strong and more body aware

Farma

Visit site
I had to do a lecture on this for one of my teaching exams, firstly it depends somewhat on how much and what type of horse you ride.
For example if you have a very forward going tb you will need less stamina and cardio fitness than with a more steady push along type.
In general, suppleness through the hips, strength of your core and balance are the main areas riders want to work on. There are lots of rider aimed fitness groups near me, generally for dressage riders but they also benefit people that just want to improve their every day riding.
Failing that you will need to look at pilates/yoga and then for the cardio side running and spinning as someone else mentioned are excellent. A gym ball to sit on at home whilst you watch tv or work on your laptop or whatever is also great for balance.
If you have a look on youtube you will find rider specific exercises also x

Denbob

Visit site
Oooh lots on here to get into! I do the Les Mills Body Balance (think Tai Chi/Pilates and yoga but more 'active') twice a week but my cardio is pretty poor :S (self-motivation is not my strong point unless it's horse related!)

Mule

Visit site
At the moment I only do Pilates. It's find it great because it helps my back. I need to start some cardio again. I've put on a bit of weight and since I'm not that energetic at the best of times, I could do without it.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Where do you all find time for this? :( I feel like I'm on the go all the time but perhaps I'm just enormously lazy...

Same here. I don't usually get home til after 9pm on weekdays & then it's time to eat, digest & rest.

Mind you I do cram a plank & some squats in while dinner cooks.