Riders Rasp

be positive

Visit site
Just looking to buy a rasp for tidying up between farrier visits and wondered if the RR is easier to use than a normal rasp, the price is not as bad as I expected but would like to know I am not wasting my money buying something that will not be effective.

JillA

Visit site
I got one but TBH a mini Surform is better (and the replacement blades a fraction of the price), if you can cope with doing the bevel okay

Shady

Visit site
Iv'e not tried the RR but i use a Radius Rasp, i bought the black one and the white one and find them easy to use, it's surprising how much comes off and it leaves a really nice rounded edge , i know some posters on here don't like mustang rolls but personally speaking, my 2 horses go much better with one .

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I used one to start with, my farrier thought it was OK for a tidy up, but then I learned to use a normal rasp, and actually I find that easier!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I was going to say most people seem to prefer the radius rasp but I would just use a normal one ;) any farrier would probably have a right laugh at my technique but it does the job!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Iv'e not tried the RR but i use a Radius Rasp, i bought the black one and the white one and find them easy to use, it's surprising how much comes off and it leaves a really nice rounded edge , i know some posters on here don't like mustang rolls but personally speaking, my 2 horses go much better with one .

I also got a radius rasp, I have a proper rasp but found little & often with the radius rasp easier to manage (physically and with my owner paranoia about taking too much off :lol:)

be positive

Visit site
Mixed views then, they seem easy to handle and I am hoping they will prevent me damaging myself, will probably get one and a normal rasp then give it a go under the watchful eye of my farrier.

cauda equina

Visit site
I've got a newly BF horse and have to ask - why rasp at all?

I was satisfied that his feet are OK with the amount of roadwork we're doing, but now am worried that I'm missing something

ester

Visit site
err, well when my bf horse was not newly bf and fit, hunting etc his growth was so much that I was trimming every 2/3 weeks. Importantly he didn't wear evenly though so would never be self trimming ;).

So don't worry, less is definitely more in the early days :) we took some time deciding whether the extra was helpful or not for F.

Interestingly after 3 months of no/little work his feet finally slowed down and now, when they only thing that has changed is level of work he doesn't need much doing at all when the farrier comes 6 weekly.

be positive

Visit site
I've got a newly BF horse and have to ask - why rasp at all?

I was satisfied that his feet are OK with the amount of roadwork we're doing, but now am worried that I'm missing something

I have one who is growing out some cracks that need regular tidying also I may be moving soon and felt that it would be useful to keep my retired ones tidy myself if possible, I will no longer have my long term farrier living nearby, obviously they will get professionally trimmed but sometimes they get a bit untidy so thought it about time I started being able to do them between trims.

ester

Visit site
BP, get some good gloves, I use the horsehealth work ones that got given to me one xmas which are close fitting but rubbery and so far rasp proof. I'd say you will only rasp your knuckles once but ;). Farrier page one had gone down to the bone trimming a mini the other day!

cauda equina

Visit site
I have one who is growing out some cracks that need regular tidying also I may be moving soon and felt that it would be useful to keep my retired ones tidy myself if possible, I will no longer have my long term farrier living nearby, obviously they will get professionally trimmed but sometimes they get a bit untidy so thought it about time I started being able to do them between trims.

I see, thanks

be positive

Visit site
BP, get some good gloves, I use the horsehealth work ones that got given to me one xmas which are close fitting but rubbery and so far rasp proof. I'd say you will only rasp your knuckles once but ;). Farrier page one had gone down to the bone trimming a mini the other day!

Rasping myself is what I was worried about, seriously tough gloves next on the list!!

Nudibranch

Visit site
Normal rasps are much easier imo. Make sure you fit a handle, use thick but flexible gloves, and put your effort into the downward stroke rather than trying to "saw" back and forth.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I use a normal rasp and a radius rasp, I did borrow someone riders rasp once and didn't get on with it at all. The radius rasp is good for quick tidy ups. If there's more to come off I use the normal rasp but its a bit harder, especially with the little pony where I worry about accidentally jabbing him in the belly with it (I'm not the most co-ordinated). My OH got me a pair of cut-resistant gloves (from Screwfix I think) they weren't expensive and they really work.

Southern

Visit site
I've got both. A normal rasp uses far less elbow grease but it's easy to whizz round with the riders rasp without fear of taking too much off.
Wouldn't use a riders rasp on a hard dry hoof as its too much effort. Give the hoof a good soak first and it's really easy to smooth off any rough edges.