Riders you admire and why

windand rain

Visit site
I could also add the little muchkin that rides my pony she was nervous, winging and basically a pain in the neck with beginner skills. She is now a very neat, capable and reasonably competant little rider with a beautiful seat and hands. She is extremely brave has come off a dozen or more times and just climbed back on I think she has for now just got over her fear of falling

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I remember watching John Francombe ride the XC course at Cheltenham, may have been with Brough Scott, it was effortless. Another male rider when we were at a livery yard rode the same way, he didn't appear to do anything at all but any horse just moved or jumped beautifully. And I admire Pippa Funnell and my daughter who rides in a similar way, neither has the long legged shape that ycbm describes but they get results when nature didn't give them a head start.
John Francome is absolutely superb. Just an absolutely class rider.
This is one of my absolute favourite videos ever - 1989 Jump Jockeys at Gatcombe Park and Event Riders at Aintree - YouTube you just would never see it now. How amazing is Richard Dunwoody?

Tim Price is an absolute consummate horseman. An underrated jockey is Dan Jocelyn. The way Dan builds young horses confidence round top end tracks is a sight to see.
I have tonnes. I love the NH jockeys. All of them are class - Just watch Robbie Power ride Sjing round Hickstead. Piggy March is just a wonderful producer and can seem to ride a camel and get it confident and winning. Marcus Ehning, Ben Maher all just beautiful riders.
I love watching the absolute best in action. So many styles and ways of doing it, hard work and a need to love horse.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I watched John Francome join in the hunt relay at barbury and just remember him getting a fabulous tune out of a horse he'd just sat on compared to some of the others. Enough that it stuck with me anyway!

Annagain

Visit site
I admire the semi-pro who is riding Charlie for me - or was before lockdown, we're yet to get started again since it's allowed for people to meet one other for exercise in Wales. She's a young local girl who did all her BHS exams but then decided a proper job was more conducive to enjoying her own horse rather than spending all day with other people's. She does a bit of riding and teaching for people she knows but that's it. She is such a natural but works incredibly hard too with her little home produced 15.2. They were 3rd at the Badminton Grass roots in 2019 (leading after dressage but a couple of time faults XC pushed her down to third) as well as competing at medium in pure dressage and she's done everything with him herself since she bought him as a fat little 7 year old who couldn't canter. Nobody else would have seen the potential in him that she did. She has a lovely calm way about her. Her flat riding in particular is something to behold. It would make you feel quite inadequate if she wasn't so lovely about it. She's got more out of Charlie in a few months than I ever will!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
One of my favourite riders is the show judge Richard Ramsay. First time I saw him ride was a hunter class down in Cornwall. He had a horse that had been a bit awkward with its own rider, going beautifully just in the short time he was on it. His wife is excellent also, both lovely quiet sympathetic riders. They were on the panel of judges for the British Appaloosa Society so I got to see them a lot.

littleshetland

Visit site
Oldies will remember a show jumper called Eddie Macken - I always thought he was good. Emile Faurie is great too....and I'd like to mention my two professional dressage rider/trainer friends who are local to me. They're awesome and very inspirational, and make it look so easy. I think anyone that rides at top level deserves respect and admiration, even if sometimes their style may look a bit rough and ready!

humblepie

Visit site
One of my favourite riders is the show judge Richard Ramsay. First time I saw him ride was a hunter class down in Cornwall. He had a horse that had been a bit awkward with its own rider, going beautifully just in the short time he was on it. His wife is excellent also, both lovely quiet sympathetic riders. They were on the panel of judges for the British Appaloosa Society so I got to see them a lot.
Second this - there are some ride judges you don't want to let near your horse but some others that are a total joy to watch and see how beautifully your horse can go with someone competent riding. I have been there for lessons and their horses are properly produced with no gimmicks.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
John Francome is absolutely superb. Just an absolutely class rider.
This is one of my absolute favourite videos ever - 1989 Jump Jockeys at Gatcombe Park and Event Riders at Aintree - YouTube you just would never see it now. How amazing is Richard Dunwoody?

Tim Price is an absolute consummate horseman. An underrated jockey is Dan Jocelyn. The way Dan builds young horses confidence round top end tracks is a sight to see.
I have tonnes. I love the NH jockeys. All of them are class - Just watch Robbie Power ride Sjing round Hickstead. Piggy March is just a wonderful producer and can seem to ride a camel and get it confident and winning. Marcus Ehning, Ben Maher all just beautiful riders.
I love watching the absolute best in action. So many styles and ways of doing it, hard work and a need to love horse.

This is such an epic video! Thank you for sharing it @LEC The coloured horse they used belonged to a friend of mine, he then went to Ian Stark who hoped he would go to the Olympics! He was sold to America for £££ instead.

alexomahony

Visit site
Without a doubt Tim Stockdale. He was so knowledgeable, great rider, a true horseman. I remember the first time I took my daughter to a BSJA show. She was very nervous and we were waiting to go into the ring. Tim Stockdale walked by & stopped the pet our horse. He praised the horse & spoke to my daughter. he didn't need to but he wanted to. She told him it was her first time a the show & he just said "you'll do fine, he's a lovely horse" he then walked off to the cafe. She rode a nice round, went clear British Novice. We were walking back to our box & Tim was sitting in the cab of his lorry having a phone call. He called us over & asked how my daughter did. We told him she qent clear & he said "You did well that was quite a technical course. This made my daughter's day. He was a real gentleman, he was always ready to chat. He is sorely missed. RIP Tim.

lovely story ❤️ I also loved Tim, always kind to people and kind to his horses x

Spotherisk

Visit site
Lec that video was great to see. I expect many do not remember the long format and that event horses had a steeplechase to negotiate before cross country!

Lucinda Green is still my most admired rider, her strength of position is admirable.

I very much admire Suzanna Hext - unfailingly positive and she works so hard to be as good as she possibly can. The step from Eventer to para dressage rider cannot have been easy.

TwoForTwo

Visit site
The queen, don’t think that needs an explanation ?

Pippa Funnel because of the fact she doesn’t hide her nerves and she’s little like me.

Mary King, she has such determination and Piggy French for never giving up

Lois Lame

Visit site
Ingrid for me :)

And her brother.

Gosh, he visited Australia for Dressage With the Stars one year. Whenever he was riding, the audience was so hushed that I dared not take a photo with my gorgeous camera because it would have made a loudish whir in that smitten, silent crowd.

When he walked past at times, many cameras were pointed at him. I didn't join in as it seemed so... you know... desperate, and he looked so modest and a little awkward with all those eyes feasting on him.

Walrus

Visit site
Love watching clips of Laura collet, just for the phenomenal stickability! And on Instagram a young Swedish rider Carl hedin, he sits so beautifully and there is such a joy watching him as he clearly loves his horses and what he does.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I always enjoyed watching Jock Paget ride - such a shame he's no longer in the UK and competing seriously.

Bit of a kiwi theme here as I also love watching Andrew Nicholson, Tim Price and Jonelle ride across country - and of course Toddy pre-retirement.

From the British side I really look up to Ros Canter - her attitude is brilliant and she is a quiet and beautifully balance rider.

Reactions: TPO