Ridiculous injuries

southerncomfort

Visit site
Cracked my coccyx when the 12.2hh pony I was clambering on to decided to side step away from the mounting block as I went to get on. Fell on my @rse straight on to concrete.

Also, once got deposited in to a large patch of nettles by another wily old pony. Had the worst nettle rash you've ever seen all up my arms. The pain made me feel sick.

chaps89

Visit site
I'm currently sporting a mangled nail. I was in the process of emptying the hay soaker and dropped it on my hand in error :(

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
I managed to de-glove the lower part of my face falling off my pony on a gravel track during a bunk off school day's hunting. Didn't realise how bad it looked so carried on for a couple of hours despite tut tutting from other members of the field. Then it really started to hurt a bit plus I had bled all over my pony, posh jacket and (worst) new string gloves so decided to go home. Collected from yard by long suffering parent (after thatching pony with straw/putting on sweat rug and upside down jute rug with corners folded back - yes it was the early 70's) and taken to local hosp who then promptly called ambulance. By now my face had started to REALLY hurt so squirming around on trip to A&E and trying 'not to blub like a drip' I sat on my hand and broke it. Only bright side was the thick black stitches in my mouth made me look like I had eaten a load of spiders when I smiled and was great for freaking out my more squeamish friends and the huntsman saying he had never heard such impressive swearing from a 13 year old. Still got a massive bollocking for bunking off though........

SEL

Visit site
Did girth up on fat pony. Went to mount fat pony just as she decided to start breathing again so saddle slipped and the opposite stirrup flung up in the air and caught me on the eyebrow.

It started bleeding but was only a diddy cut so I sorted saddle and held a tissue against it. Got off 30 mins later to a horrified look from YO - that turned out to be the best black eye ever!! We were due to have website photos taken at work and they had to delay it a month. Oops.

tda

Visit site
Not strictly horse related but was out with the dogs and a very small tree had blown down over the path, I thought I'd move it, so pulled it, slipped, fell backwards broke my wrist ? had to walk home of course, then next day drove myself to A&E .

About 4 months later, tripped and fell for no reason and broke the bloomin thing again ??

ponyparty

Visit site
Smashed my hand up (A&E nurse’s words) falling off a chair in my office whilst putting up Halloween decorations last October. I’d only been back from maternity leave a couple of weeks. And no it wasn’t a wheelie, spinning office chair ? just a normal one!

The week before I went back to work, I went autumn hunting and got popped off over a somewhat overgrown tiger trap by the obliging horse I had borrowed, who had a much bigger jump on her than I anticipated; I really wasn’t riding defensively enough for that, coupled with the drop on the other side! Bounced up and caught her and jumped back on, no problem ??‍♀️ nothing hurt but my pride ?

Yet a mundane incident in the office had far reaching repercussions that I could not have predicted at the time ?

oldie48

Visit site
Goodness I thought I was clumsy but I feel quite agile now
Lady Gascoyne's cashmere socks reminded me that I fell down some steep wooden stairs one Boxing day. I was totally sober, it was my birthday and we were staying in a relative's cottage over Christmas. It was the socks that did for me on the polished wood + there was no handrail and I was carrying a wheelie suitcase. I went from the top to the bottom at speed, the pain was horrendous and I lay on the last few steps pale and clammy. My poor daughter (who was in her first year of med school) and my OH stood looking at me in horror. I think we all thought the worst! Fortunately for me my right glutes took the main impact rather than my spine and I walked away fairly lightly, though I still have a 5" indentation in my bum!

Keira 8888

Visit site
Ah where do I start! Mainly non-horsey though.

Gave myself a black eye by answering the phone too enthusiastically and missing my ear.

Fell down the stairs twice and up the stairs once before my husband confiscated my silky cashmere socks.

Fell off a horse because I was laughing so much that it spooked her.

Fell off a horse attempting to rope a life size fake plastic cow.

And then a few weeks ago, I dropped a heavy steel bucket filled with water on my shin. It hurt like I cannot describe so I hopped around madly swearing, ripped off my trousers to see if it had gone through the skin, and turned around, in my knickers, to find that the postman had witnessed the entire episode.

And on your question re a rebrand of your situation; clearly, you were injured by farm machinery in the course of issuing protective masks.

???????

Cloball

Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has punched themselves in the face doing the girth ?
I've remembered a few slightly less manurey ones.
I got my hand stuck between a metal gate and a hungry 2yo, silly thing to do, and my hand swelled up and turned purple like one of those fake foam hands they have at American sporting events.
I also got headbutted by a horse in a headcollar and ended up with a beautiful imprint of the buckle on my cheek and a black eye.

I've kneed myself in the face on so many occasions, I gave myself a black eye doing a somersault on a kids trampoline (when not a child). I have broken my toe walking into doorways so many times it's just permanently bent now.

mini_b

Visit site
These are non horse but silly; I’ve had both hands a cast for 2 Christmas’ on the trot....

first one I ran up the carpeted stairs, slipped and stretched out and punched the riser. Fairly straightforward break, last 2 bones in my hand.

next year I was cleaning and had gone a bit OTT with the pledge and made a reaaaallly slippy patch on the laminate flooring. (I wasn’t spraying it onto the floor guys...)
It hurt. A lot. It can’t POSSIBLY be broken though.

I left it for 2 weeks until I couldn’t take it any longer and went into walk in center. It was broken, same 2 bones on the other hand but I’d totally knocked my knuckle off. Needed surgery to wire everything back together.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Remembered 2 more!

Putting headcollar on rather tall horse. Forgot I had mane detangler all over my hands making them very slippery. Headcollar slipped out of my hands, dropped on to my face and the buckle smacked in to my mouth busting my lip and chipping a tooth.

Dislocated top thumb joint pulling on running shoes.

?

saalsk

Visit site
Not horse related but...

Young dog, about 25kg. He was lovely, but could be a bit full on with his play. Older, large dog - 55kg. I am in the back garden, they are playing, young dog is starting to irritate old guy, so I pop 2 fingers into the collar of the younger one, with the intention of taking them all ( there are 3, the third looks on and laughs, but plays no part ) in for a break. Middle finger unintentionally goes through the D ring for the lead, and I don't notice. Old dog decides to take advantage of the young muppet being held, and body slams him. Young dog twists and rolls, and my fingers do similar. Much swearing later, I am on the way to A/E with multiple fracture dislocates of my right middle and index finger. 4 months off work, no riding, minimal dog walking, and although I could technically drive after the operation and cast removal, the flexion of my middle finger meant that every time I turned left, I put the windscreen wipers on. To be fair, the upside was that a fairly immovable middle finger means that very little effort was required to make people understand what I meant ! (adding to say I am not an angry person, and physio got rid of the permanent *bird flip * that was afflicting my right hand ! )

twiggy2

Visit site
Fractured my coccyx falling down 2 stairs when carrying the washing basket.
A few days later I fell and cracked more by kicking a tennis ball for the dogs, the grass was wet and I could not bend to pick it up due to previous fractured coccyx.
A couple or few years later fractured my coccyx turning to walk away from a pond edge, it was a new pond dug out of Essex clay, the dogs had been in and out making it wet and sloping so down I went.
I once tried to unblock the petrol lawn mower with my fingers whilst it was running, that hurt left it a couple of days before going to a and e as it was a double bank holiday weekend and the Sunday so figured it would be busy, I had surgery on my finger the same day I went in as it was shattered and still bleeding.
Broke my toe kicking an awning pole in error.
Broke my ankle when my foot when down a hole whilst I was catching a ewe having trouble lambing, I was stuck twisted round still hanging on to the ewe whilst the elderly Shepherd I was lambing with came to get hold of the ewe.
Broke my wrist hitting myself in the face when my hand slipped off the girth straps.
Hit myself in the face with a hammer handle a few weeks ago.
I am not really accident prone.

doodle

Visit site
I was in hospital and allowed out for the afternoon. So of course went to yard. I was crouched down doing something to a back fetlock. Horse moved and I lost my balance but didn’t get my foot out in time. Ended up bending big toe under then put all my weight on. It hurt. I went back to hospital and they thought I was fussing and gave me 2 paracetamol. 10 days later I got home and went and got it xrayed. Toe was in so many pieces and the joint was involved. But they couldn’t do anything about it apart from put me in plaster. I was very very pleased to go back to ward in plaster. Toe still is double size and dosnt move!

Chianti

Visit site
As I'm not young and have a rotten back I use a mounting block to get on and off. Pony is well trained to stand at a stone mounting block when we return from a hack and said good behaviour is rewarded with a treat. I very rarely go in the school but did on this day. Mounting block in there is one of those tall coloured plastic ones with narrow steps. Getting on was fine. Getting off I should have just dismounted and slid down onto the soft surface. For some stupid reason I decided to try and dismount onto the mounting block. Pony stood well but I missed the top step and fell backwards off the block onto the ground. Fortunately there was no one around to see my flailing around - pony stood and looked at me on the ground as if I was mad.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I had one of those plastic trugs full of hay under my left arm as I was using my right hand to undo the barn door, and it is quite a steep step up. I stepped up, but not far enough, lost my balance and toppled backwards/sideways to land on my elbow - I couldn't break my fall as the trug was under my arm - don't let go!

I got up and thought "Phew, thank goodness my elbow is alright, I haven't broken it" but discovered later in the day that I couldn't raise my arm sideways very far and very, very painful. After x rays found that it wasn't broken but had damaged the tendon in my shoulder, so it was swollen so no room for movement, but not torn it so didn't need an operation. It was tricky hanging out the washing! Lasted about 18 months altogether and then the treatment that really worked and got it back to normal was Bowen therapy.

Suncat

Visit site
Pirates. That's my answer for all the viable results of my clumsiness - of course I fought them off, the country is safe - they look much worse.

Or, if applicable, I point out that (in my defence) someone has left me unsupervised.

I have also girth-punched myself in the face, fallen over wheelbarrows, prat fallen on the mounting block - the other day poo picking with headphones on, I stood up and 'someone' prodded me in the ribs! I shrieked and fell over my over foot and missed the hawthorn hedge by inches. I'd prodded myself with the handle of the poo scoop...

I think I'm lucky to be alive in my 40s if I'm honest :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Riding the safest horse ever in a brand new hat, decided to tighten the harness without getting off. Fumbled the hat, went to grab it to stop it dropping into the road since it was brand new, horse shot forward one stride and I sat on my own arm on the road, snapping both my wrist bones.

I've never felt so stupid in my life ?