Riding after flu/tet jabs

MuffettMischief

Visit site
As title suggests. Who rides the next day after flu jabs and do you keep it light? Vet is adding an extra day to her schedule tomorrow due to sudden influx of people wanting jabs, so my mare who is due in 12 days anyway,is being done as she is already coming to my yard. I had planned to go hunting Sunday (haven't been able to get out for a few weeks so desperate to go!), but not sure whether to or not. Vets says she will be fine but I've always thought that you shouldn't let them sweat for 24 hours afterwards? Not sure why! Maybe that was advise years ago and I've always just stuck to it. She never reacts badly to jabs, you would never know she has had one.

thanks!

Chippers1

Visit site
My horse really reacts to them and spends the week following the jab very lethargic and off. I realised this last year when we went to a show not long after and he refused to jump anything, I then felt really guilty for taking him out after I realised! The first year I had him and got his jabs done he was on box rest so I didn't know. He's the same after being wormed too. I've had to bring his booster forward so I can go out again (he's not due until May) but also having to cancel plans as I know he won't be 100%.

MuffettMischief

Visit site
My horse really reacts to them and spends the week following the jab very lethargic and off. I realised this last year when we went to a show not long after and he refused to jump anything, I then felt really guilty for taking him out after I realised! The first year I had him and got his jabs done he was on box rest so I didn't know. He's the same after being wormed too. I've had to bring his booster forward so I can go out again (he's not due until May) but also having to cancel plans as I know he won't be 100%.

Poor boy. Luckily shes never had any issues at all. I wonder if it was advice from years ago when I was a kid and its always just stuck in my head?! Maybe things have changed!

catkin

Visit site
Whether or not my horse reacts I would not be doing anything as full-on as hunting the day after a vacc. Even if they have no obvious signs their immune system will be working hard to build up antibodies so the vacc would not be at full effectiveness (like us needing vacs to travel, they have to be done a certain number of days before)
I know it's not exactly hunting but the rules for competing are to not compete for 7 days after a booster vacc.

albeg

Visit site
Previous vet used to say light work on the day of/after if they didn't react, not building up a sweat, think current vet says don't work on the day of, he'll be done Monday which is a day off for him anyway and then have a couple of easy days before bringing it back to his normal level for the weekend.

scats

Visit site
I usually give them a day off or have occasionally gone for a short, very leisurely walking hack.
I’ve only had one have a horrific reaction, but I’m aware that they are sometimes not quite themselves for a day or so afterwards.

AlinFaolan

Visit site
I would normally give a couple of days off followed by a couple of days light hacking but my lad reacted badly this year, he had the jab in his chest, the next day he was very off colour and had a swelling at the injection site, this got worse for a couple of days before improving. He was off his food for a couple of days, and took a good few days after that to be back to normal. I've had him since he was a yearling, will be seventeen this year and other than a couple of years ago when he reacted to having his jab in his neck tho was not off colour with it, he has never been off colour until this year.

MuffettMischief

Visit site
I decided that I wouldn't take her anyway. I have always given a day off and then just light work for a couple of days anyway so no point changing that now. I would have felt mean otherwise and she is precious! Hunting was cancelled anyway!