Riding Boot Preferences

Pipps

Visit site
I'm debating between tall boots and jodhpur boots so wondered what you all suggest?
Just as a bit of background; I'm early on in RS lessons so it's literally just for riding in the school arena at the moment.
Currently wearing some Chelsea boot style fashion ones but want a proper pair of boots soon, whilst also trying to resist ending up a typical all the gear no idea person (and poor) because I want to buy everything ?

Griffin

Visit site
I have always worn long boots, even as a beginner. I have worn short boots and chaps but I just prefer long boots because I find them easier to clean and more comfortable to ride in. I only wear them while riding, I always change into muckers or wellies on the yard.

However, a pair of short boots are more versatile because you can wear them with jeans. Also, they work out cheaper because you can buy chaps fairly cheaply.

blitznbobs

Visit site
If you are “ poor” go for the cheaper option of short boots and half chaps. If you make a mistake it’s cheaper to rectify. Long boots need to fit right and if they don’t they are so uncomfortable but knowing if you want them longer or shorter comes from experience and chosen disaplin etc.

Pipps

Visit site
If you are “ poor” go for the cheaper option of short boots and half chaps. If you make a mistake it’s cheaper to rectify. Long boots need to fit right and if they don’t they are so uncomfortable but knowing if you want them longer or shorter comes from experience and chosen disaplin etc.
Oh no not currently poor, it was more that the amount of things I keep seeing that I want I may end up that way as I have little will power when it comes to shopping haha

blitznbobs

Visit site
Oh no not currently poor, it was more that the amount of things I keep seeing that I want I may end up that way as I have little will power when it comes to shopping haha
Well in that case buy which you like but I’d stick “main stream” like ariat / brogini or similar that way you can sell them easily if you hate them and if you love them you will always be able to find another pair

Skib

sites.google.com
I was like you. Even before I rode, I loved long black boots. But dont be tempted. Less expensive long riding boots tend to be stiff at the ankle. I learned to ride in short Ariat boots and half chaps which I still have and wear 20 years later.
I promised myself long boots when I could canter. And thus I did eventually buy them - exceedingly expensive. But I cant wear them at the moment with my Covid lock down weight gain. I dont want to stretch them by wearing them when my legs are fatter than they ought to be.
Short boots are far more forgiving. And you need a second pair of warm ones for winter, or you can (I was told) break your feet bones dismounting.
But if eventually you can afford soft, good quality long boots, they are lovely to ride in. There is a nice smooth feel against the sides of the horse. And the communication down your leg.
Looking back, I can see no logic to what I just wrote. Surely I could have had my early lessons in long boots? Yet I think not. For yard work and ground work, long boots are not good. They can slip on muddy ground and your toes are not protected if the horse should accidentally tread on you.

Dont be afraid of buying expensive kit. I started in the cheapest as no one thought I would continue riding. And that cheap kit wore out soon. Whereupon I moved up market and bought good stuff. Which is far nicer to ride in and has lasted years and years. There is a recurring expense of new hats and body protectors and updated high viz, but nothing else.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I'm no help - I wear short in summer and long in winter. I have hypermobility so I do notice a difference in terms of my ankle stability though!
If I had to choose only one I'd probably go short; they're just easier to get on and off and I tend to wear them more than long boots.
If you are wider in the feet Toggi are great, I only buy their boots these days.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m currently riding in short boots and chaps. I had no idea it was beginnery or poor ??‍♀️
I wear them for ease. I also apparently have weird shaped legs

Kat

Visit site
I would suggest short boots and chaps first. They are more flexible so if you gain weight you only have to replace the chaps, or if the zip goes or whatever. They are cooler in summer but thick long socks make them warm in winter. They don't need breaking news and tend to work out cheaper.

They are easy to put on, you don't need to completely change your footwear to drive home etc.

These days I keep my long boots for best and have the comfort of short boots and chaps the rest of the time.

Casey76

Visit site
I’ve always worn short boots and chaps. Mainly decathlon cheapies, as I’ve found them the most comfortable for my wide feet.

For chaps I’ve always worn the ones which fit, becasue having an XXS but XXW calf makes chaps buying quite difficult. I think I lost one of my chaps in the hospital though ??‍♀️, so currently don’t have any…

ArklePig

Visit site
I wear short boots and no chaps ? terrible example. Mainly because I can do my yard jobs without having to change foot wear and I can drive in them easily. Long boots wreck my head because if they fit my calves they're too big on the feet - I've quite narrow heels. Just go and try a few pairs of each on and buy whichever make you happy. There's no real right or wrong (except for chapless me, I'm wrong ?)

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I'd go for short boots and chaps for the moment, but if you really want to treat yourself and don't have to count the pennies ,.nothing wrong with a pair of long.boots.
It's easier to get a good fit with chaps though as long boots do need to fit well. If you go for the long ones , I'd go and try then on in a shop rather than buy online as fit is so important.

Reacher

Visit site
This took me back to my days at RS as a child where I wore rubber boots and home made jods... the latter were an odd colour as my mum adapted some old RED trousers and tried to dye them brown .... ?

You can get very smart leather chaps/gaiters which are hard to tell apart from long boots - I did affiliated eventing for a couple of years wearing these with short boots and no one commented.

Alternatively I am a massive fan of rhinegold elite Luxus boots which are very supple leather and come in several calf fittings and even fit my wide feet and are very reasonably priced.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I ride in both, so no help really! If you can, try a few out in the store and see what you prefer.

I tend to wear riding trainers or short paddock boots in the summer and Ariat long boots in the Autumn/Winter - not traditional 'riding' boots but a country/riding boot hybrid.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'd go for short boots and chaps for the moment, but if you really want to treat yourself and don't have to count the pennies ,.nothing wrong with a pair of long.boots.
It's easier to get a good fit with chaps though as long boots do need to fit well. If you go for the long ones , I'd go and try then on in a shop rather than buy online as fit is so important.
I'd agree with this. short boots and chaps are a great way to start and also more forgiving with fit and fairly economical.
I have ridden exclusively in long boots for about the last 15 years though and much prefer the feeling and support they give, but they do need to be spot on in fit and can take a bit of getting used to.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I think I worded the "poor" bit badly, that was in reference to how I'll end up because I just want to buy everything that I look at ?
Why choose? Buy both!

I have Clarke's Broyd boots for wearing with Decathlon half chaps, Decathlon €12 long rubber boots, Soubirac and Tucci long boots and even a pair of bucket-top boots for 17th and 18th century garb.

And I consider myself a typical Yorkshiremen when it comes to spending.

Pipps

Visit site
Why choose? Buy both!

I have Clarke's Broyd boots for wearing with Decathlon half chaps, Decathlon €12 long rubber boots, Soubirac and Tucci long boots and even a pair of bucket-top boots for 17th and 18th century garb.

And I consider myself a typical Yorkshiremen when it comes to spending.
I have a list as long as my arm that I'm tempted to just buy all of, but trying to be sensible and build my collection gradually.
Ah I'm a Yorkshire woman raised by a typical Yorkshireman so know that feeling ?

Annagain

Visit site
I don't particularly like wearing short boots and chaps so I'd say go for long boots but maybe a more casual boot like a Toggi Calgary (there are plenty of similar boots made by different brands) as they're a bit softer and more forgiving than a smarter looking boot and you won't need anything more formal unless / until you start to compete. I don't tend to walk around much in mine, I just put them on to ride but I definitely could if I needed to. I've forgotten to change them before driving home from lessons or stayed in them while sorting the horse out after riding and they're very comfy. They're also relatively inexpensive compared to some of the others.

teddypops

Visit site
I wear long boots. I like the chunkier ones for at home as I wear them all day every day. I have smarter ones for competing. I used to wear walking boots and chaps as I walked miles when I worked on a yard, however I can’t seem to ride in jodhpur boots, not sure why but I can’t keep my feet and lower leg still.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I have both. Dublin Altitude for short boots (amazing boots for the price!) and Ariat Heritage for the long boots/posh. If you're already wearing short boots, I'd start with those and ask for the long ones for Christmas. ;)