Riding Boots for Athletically-Calfed Ladies

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
As a real woman with curves and all, and given that I exercise as well as horse ride I have 18 inch calves which I consider fairly normal but it is rather clear that even wide-calfed boot makers consider this so humongous they don't go up that far. I also have a wide foot and short legs which fewer brands cater for than I'd hoped! I'm considering investing in a pair of Fuller Fillies Field or Show Boots (£150 for short and Xwide boots), risking it with a pair of wide legged but cheap Dublins, or for the first time in my life going for jodphur boot and gaitors/chaps. I'm a bit hesitant about chaps as I like the protected feel of a riding boot - a bit like a biker wearing leathers, I rather feel they'd hold my legs together if something ontoward happened!

So, to you fellow ladies with fuller, athletic, perfectly normal calfs that are drastically undercatered are, what do you go for - long boots or chaps/gaitors? And what makes do you prefer? I'd also be particularly interested in hearing how well FF boots last i.e. are they worth the money?

Thanks in advance and homemade lakeland lemon cake to you all!

Last edited:

blood_magik

Visit site
fuller fillies boots are good but good luck trying to find them in stock.
i also have 18" calfs and i got a pair of equitector boots for shows. i used the fuller fillies ones for around the yard (i had to get the seams redone as the zips came away from the boot)

Applejuice

Visit site
I ride in jods and chaps purely because I can't find any boots to fit. I bought my chaps from a website called just chaps, you need to give them a ring because the sizes aren't always true but they'll measure a pair for you so you know they'll fit. I'm quite short (5.5) and wear the XXXL in the suede. I also have 18" calves. I was going to buy fuller fillies boots but can I find them in stock? can i buggery!!

Piccy - what size calf are you then? I've looked previously at MH boots and they just don't appear to go up to my calf size with my shoe size, I have size 6 feet. Do they stretch loads? I'd be frightened of busting a zip! Sorry Vixen for hijacking your thread but i have this problem too, I do a lot of sport as well and would really love some long boots x

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Yeah, I've come across the stock problem already Blood-Majik, but if they're going to be comfortable and long-lasting then they're maybe worth the 3 month wait or so. I nearly cry anytime I have to put my current boots on - they're killing my heels, as well as taking 5 mins to get my right boot on. I don't know why that calf's the bigger of the two! The Equitector's are out of my budget unforunately.

Thanks Piccy. I've come to the conclusion anyway that getting boots that really fit me will cost at least £150 anyways, so was pleasantly surprised opening that link up! I'd like to know what size calves you are too, cos it says 38cm or something on the size chart but mine are 44 and would like to know if they stretch that much? (And that's before joddies actually, so would probably need an extra 1cm or 2).

Applejuice - hijack away! I want to know more too!

Last edited:

Applejuice

Visit site
Bordermare - what size calf are you? :D Sorry, not being rude, it's just that loads of people vote for MH boots but never usually say their calf sizes :eek:

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
i ordered my ff boots in july and they arrived in december :eek:
I can't imagine how many boot-induced tears of discomfort I may have shed with that kind of wait! Grr - why is the demand so much greater than supply?

Boot makers would clearly make a killing if they made boots for truly fuller calves, giving that riding itself increases calf size and tone! Clearly I should enter the trade, make us all happy and earn a fortune... lol!

dibbin

Visit site
I've got 17.5" calves, and I found these fitted - and I've got the regular calf ones!

Only problem is, I don't know if Dublin are still making them, but their boots might be worth a try? Except the River ones, I can barely get them past my ankles!

Applejuice

Visit site
Vixen, I had the FF ones on order several times and just sacked it off as a bad idea in the end, the Equitector ones are totally out of my budget too which is why I'm like a dog with a bone on the MH ones, I really want some :eek:

Ooh they're nice Dibbin, crikey I'm so fickle, the first hint of a boot that might fit and I'm off :D

blood_magik

Visit site
i ended up buying a pair of ff chaps for everyday riding and i bought a pair of gaiters from equitector for shows while i was waiting for my boots.

tbh i guess it really depends on your budget - i paid £170 +pp for my ff boots and i got my equitectors for £210 (they were delivered 2 days later) so i guess it also depends on how long your willing to wait. must say, equitector have great customer service - i emailled about a pair of gaiters and they were on the phone 2 hours later going over sizing with me.

applejuice - i had a pair of MH high riders in size 7 short/wide and i now cant get them on :( my calfs are 18' with jodhs and socks on. i paid £90 for height-adjustable gaiters from equitector - dont know if they would be any use to you

Last edited:

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Dibbin, I've never even considered a pair of boots that weren't traditional black but they are equisite! I'm not a fan of the river boot style anyhow, but thanks for the heads up. The wide fitting of those tall boots on paper doesn't fit me... but if the normal ones fit you then surely the wide ones would fit me? Oh I'm so tempted... must just check the returns policy of the place I found them in stock! But will they rub the back of my knee as they don't seem to do a shorter length? Hmm... for the cost of postage to return them, I'm very willing to find out!

Applejuice, you seem to be on my wavelength completely! I'm a bit impatient about the FFs, don't want to stretch to the Equi ones and need to know more about MH. I'm now really drawn to the Dublin longs too! Oh for the love of comfort and value for money...

Last edited:

Cavalier

Visit site
If you are just looking for nice everyday boots rather than something for competitions I love my Tuffa Suffolk boots. They are so comfortable and I think they look really smart too. I have cob legs and the wide fitting ones are almost too loose for me. The other boots I had that were good were the Mountain Horse Rimfrost ones. I didn't even need the wide fitting with those.

Happy Hunter

Visit site
I am currently wearing my Mark Todd fleece lined ones - Im dreading summer as these will bake my feet and I will have to go back to my suede chaps - Rubbish!!!

For 'Posh' i have a pair of close contact Ariat chaps with Ariat boots.

a nice pair of summer boots are on the shopping list for Badminton!

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Cheers Cavalier. Yes, it's just a pair of general riding boots I'm after. I only do minor unaffiliated comps for which I don't need to be in 'uniform', so anything goes. I'll probably only ever do proper shows when I've my own horse, and I presume when I've enough money for that then I'll have enough for the wardrobe too! lol. They sound really comfy actually, and don't appear to be as tall as most standard boots which is a plus for me.

dibbin

Visit site
They rub a bit initially, how long are your legs? I *think* you can get them in black, my friend has a pair, although I don't know if you can still get them. I always wanted black boots as well, but I love my brown ones :) just need to get one of them re-zipped.

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Measuring tape says I need 16inch boots which is about 42cm. However, my current boots are standard length as far as I know and I've not had a problem. I really like the colour of them, I'd just never considered it before! Have you had good wear of them Dibbin before that zip's needed replacing? I'm looking forward to owning a zipped boot that I'm not fighting to get in and out of, and don't mind paying for any repairs to them every so often.

Applejuice

Visit site
Gah, had to go back to work :(

Blood Magik - thanks for that insight on the MH boots, I think I'll hold off on those for now then in the hope that my calves shrink, maybe I can wrap them in cling film and make them sweat?!

Thanks Bordermare, much appreciated, if you can't get the zips up on standard width ones I'm well and well and truly bugger with the wider ones :eek:

Vixen - Wanna go into business,.....? :cool:

Django Pony

Visit site
I have 17-18 inch calves, and I wear Toggi Calgary's in Wide fitting. Very comfy. Highly recommended for everyday. I've asked for a pair of FF Show Boots for my birthday for a smarter pair. x

hunting mad

Visit site
Another one for the mountain horse range...
I have had the rimfrost,and now have got the high rider(i think)
I have a very large calf width,as i have to wear a plastic splint from my knee to my toes.Having said that i also have to get a size 8 foot,so i can get my splint in.The bigger the foot size,the wider the calf size.

Applejuice

Visit site
Ooh like those Calgary ones, struggling to find calf fit on the Toggi site though, will dig.

Yeah, you'd make a fortune Vixen :D

Applejuice

Visit site
Crikey Hunting Mad, how many boots did you have to try to find a fit? My problem is that I have size 6 feet, so to fit the foot I'd have to wear 25 pairs of socks! :eek:

imr

Visit site
Like you I am what according to boot makers is a mutant with calves too wide (46cms)and legs too long (47cms)for the size of my feet (39)

English gaiter company gaiters come up big enough for 18in calves. I find they are a bit short in the leg though. You might get the biggest, widest ariat gaiters to fit if you give them a lot of tugging so they stretch. I haven't tried equitectors or ff but going that route next (though prob too short) as current pair of boots were made to measure and even that was not great - they came up too big at the top where they refused to put an elastic insert in (my legs go back in again after the widest point) and so I have the flowerpot effect in 600 quid boots which to top it all haven't lasted. They were sarm and I won't get them again. I just don't get why boot makers refuse to accept we "freaks" exist and they would make money if they catered for us !!

SpottedCat

Visit site
I have apparently got disproportionatly wide calves - and being generally a size 8 clothes with size 4 feet, I have had no end of trouble getting boots which have a 39cm calf (roughly 15.5 inches) but do not assume I am fat and therefore need a similarly proportioned width below the knee - most which fitted the calf looked like wellies on me. Very unattractive!

I bought some XW Brogini's in a sale - looked utterly ridiculous. Foot fitted, calf fitted, could have fitted a whole other leg in by the knee. So I rang them and they happened to have some XW Sarm Hippiques in stock, for a bit more money - which are tapered back in (I am only 32cm by the knee!!). Solved the problem, and I am now the proud owner of some Sarms.

dairen

New User
Visit site
Tuffa Norfolk boots are available in wide calf this is upto 18-19 calf have tried some seen nice just saving the £140 up at the miniute availble in black and brown. Go to there website:)