Riding Boots for Athletically-Calfed Ladies

hunting mad

Visit site
Crikey Hunting Mad, how many boots did you have to try to find a fit? My problem is that I have size 6 feet, so to fit the foot I'd have to wear 25 pairs of socks! :eek:

It took me ages to find the mountain horse range,and when i did i had to order and wait months before they came......lucky enough they have been perfect for me.
In the summer im having having an operation(i have manned up after 8 years!) so wont need my splint,however i think i will really struggle with boots then as my foot size will be alot smaller,then the leg width will be as well.

Red30563

Visit site
Tuffa Norfolk boots are available in wide calf this is upto 18-19 calf have tried some seen nice just saving the £140 up at the miniute availble in black and brown. Go to there website:)

I have had a pair of Tuffa Norfolks for a couple of years and I love them! I have 17 inch calves and initially ordered the wide fit (after years of knowing boot manufacturers have different ideas to me about what is 'normal' or 'regular'!)

I was pleasantly surprised to find the wide fit were far too big so I ordered the regular and they are perfect. Great boots for everyday riding and I have worn them for low level dressage comp too.

Applejuice

Visit site
Oh dear hunting mad, back to square one eh? After Red30563's post I think I'm going to take the plunge and order some Norfolk's to try, Vixen keep your fingers crossed, I shall report back :D

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
I've ordered a pair of the Dublin Talls as they're cheaper: if it doesn't work out, it'll only cost me a fiver or so in postage to send them back and get a full refund. I'll let you know how they work out and you can let me know what the Norfolks are like Applejuice as they'll be my next port of call I think. My fingers are crossed for both of us!

sabCZa

Visit site
I have 15in calves and could just about do up Tuffa Norfolks standard calf witdth when they came, now they've relaxed a bit - but mainly: they are short enough! You would definitely be ok with wide fit ones.

Piccy

Visit site
Yeah, I've come across the stock problem already Blood-Majik, but if they're going to be comfortable and long-lasting then they're maybe worth the 3 month wait or so. I nearly cry anytime I have to put my current boots on - they're killing my heels, as well as taking 5 mins to get my right boot on. I don't know why that calf's the bigger of the two! The Equitector's are out of my budget unforunately.

Thanks Piccy. I've come to the conclusion anyway that getting boots that really fit me will cost at least £150 anyways, so was pleasantly surprised opening that link up! I'd like to know what size calves you are too, cos it says 38cm or something on the size chart but mine are 44 and would like to know if they stretch that much? (And that's before joddies actually, so would probably need an extra 1cm or 2).

Applejuice - hijack away! I want to know more too!

Hello

i am an 18 inch calf I have these boots in Wide I am asize six shoe, they fit really well with jods under and long socks with room to give some more the elastic is not a full give, I love these boots and will have another pair when these give up ive had my current pair approx 18 months sorry for late reply

Applejuice

Visit site
Right, have ordered some Norfolks in Brown in Wide calf. I'm a bit worried that they will only be the standard width though as both the Tuffa website and TackDirect only say wide in black. I asked the guy who took my order to double and triple check that the brown were wide calf and he's said deffo yes, suppose will just have to wait and see,........:confused:

Checked other sites and standard only come in brown - damn and blast, I've phoned back and asked to swap to Black :D

I've also ordered the MH High Rider ii in Black :eek:

Last edited:

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Dublin Talls arrived today (that's next day delivery, having just paid basic 1st class - score!) and while I can get them done up, I'm currently slightly uncomfortable at the computer sitting with my legs bent 90 degrees because the boots hit the back of my knee. Boo! I wish my lower leg would grow an inch taller to make them fit, but as I'm guesing it won't, I'll have to send them back 80( My foot is amazing comfy though and they do look good, so I'd recommend them to anyone with a standard length leg and an 18 inch calf. Shame really!

Camel

Visit site
I like this thread :D I'm an eighteen incher ;) and have some fuller fillies leather chaps in short/x-wide which are a fab fit, I also have the 'Tyne' Muckboots which have been a life saver over winter, I did manage to get a pair of the sought after fuller fillies country boots, the lining ripped on both boots after trying them on a couple of time, I took them to a cobbler (as I couldn't bare to send these elusive beautys back!) and he said they were absolutely rubbish quality!!! .... so they went :eek:

Saving for some Ariat Grasmeres in wide

xx

Applejuice

Visit site
Ahh Vixen that's just pants, at least you can do them up so there's hope :D Both of mine have been despatched so fingers crossed they arrive tomorrow, obviously I'll be parading around in them the minute they arrive, one of each on for side by side comparison,....:D Wish mE luck!!

Somebody else somewhere, i forget where, mentioned Dubarry Wexford's, don't quite like the look of them but stuff me they're £330 :eek:

MrsO I take it you've tried the Grasmere's on then if you're saving, was there room for manouver so to speak?

Batgirl

Visit site
I am 18 inches without jods, I have shires chaps in XL and they fit, as do my Dublin River boots (though they are crap inside, stupid lining!), I have mountain horse 2xwide show boots and found some Dublin show boots that come in wide that fit too. I think I must be really lucky!
:D

Applejuice

Visit site
Were they the first pair you tried Laura or did you search and search? You see, after I try a boot and it doesn't fit, I have a tantrum of sorts :eek: stupid boots stupid legs etc and vow never to buy long riding boots, and then I forget and try again. One day I'll actually find a pair that fit and I'll faint with sheer joy!! :rolleyes:

Applejuice

Visit site
MH arrived this morning, tried them on twice and they won't budge, I can get them done up half way and then they get stuck on the largest part of my calf - boo hiss!! :( I measured the boots and the were 16.5" at the widest part before stretching. As Piccy said the elastic is not a full give and and there's no way they'd stretch 1.5", just waiting on the Norfolks now, apparently they do have the wide fit in Brown so that's what I've been sent. Will report back later.

Must check out those Rydals. At this rate I fear a made to measure pair is on the horizon :eek:

dibbin

Visit site
I find a problem with the wide MH boots. My sister has the Rimfrosts in a size 7 wide, and they're far too short on me (and I normally take a size 6)! She's only 14 so has shorter legs than I do, but her MH boots could do with another couple of inches in length for me to wear them.

Piccy

Visit site
MH arrived this morning, tried them on twice and they won't budge, I can get them done up half way and then they get stuck on the largest part of my calf - boo hiss!! :( I measured the boots and the were 16.5" at the widest part before stretching. As Piccy said the elastic is not a full give and and there's no way they'd stretch 1.5", just waiting on the Norfolks now, apparently they do have the wide fit in Brown so that's what I've been sent. Will report back later.

Must check out those Rydals. At this rate I fear a made to measure pair is on the horizon :eek:

Did you get regular height or short height, what a nightmare if you were nearer me id offer to let you try mine on to check the fit, I have had many a temper tantrum when trying to get boots

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Laura - I'm jealous you've found so many that work! Thing is I'm nervous about purchasing some of those brands as on paper so many of their wide fits say they're 16inches and I'm not keen on spending the P&P to find out if they stretch to 18+. I also have boot height to worry about as legs aren't very long as it turns out! E.g. just found short, wide Mark Todd leather boots but at 38cm wide, I don't think I'll risk them.

Oh IHateWork, I wish my budget would stretch that far - the Brogini's wider fitting boots look like amazing quality, and I've not doubt that their longevity's great too. Much the same to the Rydals CinnamonToast!

Applejuice - bad news about the MH. Fingers and toes crossed for the Norfolks! I couldn't see them in brown and wide anywhere, so fingers crossed they're both correct and fit well!

That's bad news about the FFs MrsO, and another big con to put on their list from me.

Glad you like the thead Mik - I don't know how this topic doesn't come up more often given how many of us have perfectly normal, well developed calves! (I have seen older ones when I did a search, but I didn't find my answer in there).

Hang on, is there a way of possibly finding what ladies foot size is the equivalent to in men's boots? Guys never seem to complain about finding longboots that fit over their calves, which are frequently bigger than ours!

Applejuice

Visit site
Did you get regular height or short height, what a nightmare if you were nearer me id offer to let you try mine on to check the fit, I have had many a temper tantrum when trying to get boots

Oh how annoyed am I? I just wrote a lovely long reply and I timed out sodding forum!! Anyway, I was along the lines of thank you Piccy, such a nice thought, I ordered Reg/Wide and think the length would've been ok had I got the bloody things fastened,....Dibbin, glad it's not just me who's had problems with MH. IHW love those broginis but I'd trash them and then cry :rolleyes: so nope, out of my price range but they do look nice :D

I had a call from tack direct this avo who had checked with warehouse and tuffa who said yes deffo brown wide norfolks. I am half expecting to get brown wide suffolks, which incidentally don't fit because I've tried those too. Yes I came across all the old threads about wide fit boots too, everyone votes for their boot of choice but never backs it up with calf size which is a shame, if those Norfolks fit (if it is Norfolks that arrive,...) I'll be jumping for joy and broadcasting it to the whole HHO forum

I'm astounded that the FF are so poorly made, you'd think with the time it takes to get them supplied they'd be quite spanking, oh well, cross them off my list then

Vixen, I found this http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html

brighthair

www.wannabeadressagediva.wordpress.com
oops should add zip malhams are also short on me, but I am 5ft10. Grasmeres are longer - measured top bit at full expansion and I think about 18-19 inches. Malham zip are at yard so can't measure! but def lot wider. Malham w/out zip are like Dublin river boots, but lot narrower, couldn't even get my leg in!

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Just had a look thanks Applejuice. Hmm... so a man's size 6 shoe would in theory be the same as my size 5.5-6s? Interesting. That might not be a bad back-up plan after all then!

Unfortunately I can't find any specific info on the size of the zipped Malham's, but like the sound of their fit - not too tall on the leg and wide around the calf! Are River style boots okay to ride in though? I've never had anything apart from traditional black longboots!

brighthair

www.wannabeadressagediva.wordpress.com
Just had a look thanks Applejuice. Hmm... so a man's size 6 shoe would in theory be the same as my size 5.5-6s? Interesting. That might not be a bad back-up plan after all then!

Unfortunately I can't find any specific info on the size of the zipped Malham's, but like the sound of their fit - not too tall on the leg and wide around the calf! Are River style boots okay to ride in though? I've never had anything apart from traditional black longboots!

I find them fine - they're pretty supportive
have you looked at fuller fillies gaiters?

give me 2 mins and I shall go and rescue the zip malhams and measure height and width

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Thanks so much Brighthair - that was really nice of you to do! As long as they have a bit of give at the calf (I've 18 inch calves before breeches) they sound pretty ideal. They're on the list, though I think I might try the Norfolks next.

I must admit I'm not sure about gaiters: I've never ridden in anything other than a full boot, though FFs gaiters look fairly robust unlike the chaps I see a lot of people in my yard in. I'd be interested to know what people make of riding in chaps/gaitors vs. long boots though as I can't make that comparison myself!

Jazzaria

www.sikytamedia.com
I'm 15 down and 17 around probs 16 now as lost a bit but stilllll fattttttt tree trunks lol... I've got Mark Todd long boots and they are very good, I've got extra wide and they are roomy now I've worn them a few times. Also have Tredstep gaiters which at first I had to use pliers to do the zip up :L ahahahaha but now I can fit a fist down they fit reallllly well... Also have robinsons wide long boots for messing about with, and my dubarries are also really loose and the right height!!! Have also risked it by ordering some Ariat Bromonts in x wide but they haven't come yet so not sure on the fittings... I'd recommend the Mark Todds especially though they look expensive compared to how much they actually are but do take a bit of wearing in... :) Hope this helped a bit!! Oh and tredsteps gaiters look good and last for ages I've had mine like a year and they still look great and got them off ebay for £45 :)