Riding boots - recommendations please!

tatty_v

Visit site
For the last couple of years I’ve average one pair of Toggi Calgary boots per year. Inevitably they don’t seem to last much longer as the stitching around the zip fails. I had them repaired last year but the repair cost was £40 per boot, which isn’t much more cost effective than buying a new pair outright.

I like them as a boot - they’re not too smart for everyday hacking, comfy, straight cut across the top (I don’t like the “dressage” arch on the outside of the leg), don’t need much cleaning and are comfy. That said, I’m wondering if there’s a better boot out there!

What boots would you recommend? Im open to long or short with chaps, pricier boots won’t be discounted if they last longer!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I can't comment about longevity and you may discount them due to the dressage arch, but I bought Ariat Contour Heritage II in August, needing more support for my broken ankle. I absolutely love them. Took 2 weeks to break in, but they're supportive, easy cleaning and everybody loves them on my yard - they're smart enough for hacking or competition (I'm the former!). I would've bought cheaper, but these were on sale on ebay for £159, which is cheap for this model. They've gone up a bit, now, but still some bargains to be had.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...ariat+heritage+contour+field+ellipse&_sacat=0

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
Ariat all day long. Always found Toggi never lasted.
I have a pair of Ariat Bromonts that I got in 2016. Still going ok but I think the sole is on the way out on one of them. They've had absolute dogs abuse though, worn every day I ride ad that is two horses ridden 4 times a week. That said I would only wear them to ride and swap back into my dublin river boots afterwards. Even those have lasted 3 years.

The Ariats are tough to break in but once they have they are the most comfortable ever. I bought a pair of Just Togs Kensington boots to try replace them and the quality is nowhere near as good. Don't see them lasting even though they are good and comfortableish from the start.

Gonna buy the ariats again!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Have to agree, I have some very elderly Bromonts that were second hand when I bought them.... 4 years ago. I wear them for hacking and schooling horses I don't want to wear my stiff dressage boots on, I had had to wade through streams and mud etc when out and about but after a cleanup them look good again. I don't wear them for anything else though and I think that's what is the key. I wear dubarrys or wellies on the yard.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My Bromonts are late 2011 vintage, used daily from March to October and RC/comp outings outside those months (the Grasmeres are hammered in the winter for hacking etc).
Very thin now on the inside at top, zips still fine too. Never needed breaking in.

I picked up an insulated pair in March this year and wore for a month to make sure they were ok, these will be the replacement pair, but till the old ones fall off my legs.......

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I've got a pair of the insulated H20 Ariat Bromonts for "best" & lessons which I'm breaking in slowly - super comfy & I love them! I did'nt want to ruin them for day to day riding so I've bought some Bareback footwear short Kentucky boots which I LOVE! Very very comfy & supportive & wear well around the yard, I ride in them just in long socks & no chaps. Very highly recommended. After years of going through numerous cheap boots every few months actually saving up to get these has already saved me.

Hollychops

Visit site
I have bought Ariat (both short of some variety with chaps and Bromonts) for the last 10 years or so. They have always been super comfy, fit well and lasted! Would struggle to buy anything else now.

tda

Visit site
I can't comment about longevity and you may discount them due to the dressage arch, but I bought Ariat Contour Heritage II in August, needing more support for my broken ankle. I absolutely love them. Took 2 weeks to break in, but they're supportive, easy cleaning and everybody loves them on my yard - they're smart enough for hacking or competition (I'm the former!). I would've bought cheaper, but these were on sale on ebay for £159, which is cheap for this model. They've gone up a bit, now, but still some bargains to be had.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...ariat+heritage+contour+field+ellipse&_sacat=0
Oh dear, looks like I need yet another pair of boots 🤔🙄😁

Pippity

Visit site
I finally retired my Harry Hall Recife jodhpur boots after well over a decade, purely because the fabric loops at the back had gone and that was making it awkward to pull them on. I replaced them with Harry Hall Folkestone jodh boots, which are almost exactly the same but have a zip fastening. My Shires fake suede chaps look a bit scruffy, but are still going strong, despite being the same age as the Recife boots.

They may not be as attractive as all the Ariat boots but, considering the price and longevity, I stick with the basics!

Annagain

Visit site
I'm surprised you say your Calgarys don't last as I'm on my 3rd pair in about 10 years. I bought my last pair 2 years ago in a 'Black Friday' (I hate the concept but they were really cheap!) sale for £75 so that I had a ready replacement for my old pair (about 4 years old then) as they were on their last legs and were about to die. I ended up not needing them until this summer! I find it's the material around the zip that wears through rather than the zips giving up the ghost but that takes about 4-5 years. I only wear them for riding though and maybe a bit of walking around the yard before /after.

Mountain Horse High Riders are very similar but might last a bit longer(I've never tried them myself)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have err lots of boots but really don’t think for the balance of comfort and appearance you can beat Ariat

tatty_v

Visit site
Thanks all - looks like it’s time to get spendy and have a look at some ariats 😁

Annagain - it’s the stitching round the zip that goes on my calgarys every time. So irritating as the rest of the boot is in great nick but once that stitching starts to fray the zip gets stuck and the boot is useless unless I get the zip replaced, which isn’t cost effective compared to the price of the boots new. So annoying as I only wear them to ride in so it’s not like they are overworked! Have wondered if maybe my calves are too chunky but I tried on the wide version and you could have fitted two of my legs in one boot! Very odd.

dogatemysalad

Visit site

Snap ! I was wearing those boots when I got kicked and smashed my ankle on a hack, miles from home. The boots supported my ankle enough to get home and didn't have a scratch on them. They were really good for riding in once I was able to walk again, despite the swelling.
For a more casual boot, the Ariat Grasmere are great too, keeps you warm, dry and last for years.