Riding early AM - motivation!

MiniMilton

Visit site
So I got up early this morning and had my 2 horses ridden by 7.30am. I feel like a million dollars now. I always intend on getting up early to ride and it never actually happens. Just wondering how to you keep motivated enough to get up super early? Bare in mind toddlers etc mean a good night sleep doesn't happen...

Last edited:

teddypops

Visit site
I just have to force myself if I wake up and don’t feel keen because I know I will be much happier for it. I started getting up and riding really early at the start of lock down to avoid the cyclists and dog walkers in the woods, it’s easy when sun is shining, but now I’ve been doing it for a few months it is just the norm and it’s easy. I don’t have toddlers though!

be positive

Visit site
I always used to in the summer but only when I had horses aiming for something special to motivate me, no toddlers but I do the horses full time which means they can be done any time and it can be easy to put it off until later, whenever later is but when it is really hot they do benefit from being ridden early, I could ride the 'important' ones properly and the rest could do less in the heat of the day as could the other jobs.

I know I would always prefer to get the riding done early and know it had been done so it is not then a 'job' to get back to later when you may be more tired and less likely to achieve as much, on really hot days the horses definitely prefer to be ridden early, they are cool, you are cool and can then spend the rest of the day feeling smug :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
So I got up early this morning and had my 2 horses ridden by 7.30am. I feel like a million dollars now. I always intend on getting up early to ride and it never actually happens. Just wondering how to you keep motivated enough to get up super early? Bare in mind toddlers etc mean a good night sleep doesn't happen...

I used to love riding before work in the summer nothing like it

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I struggle so much. I love sleep and I am most definitely not a morning person. Winter is harder as it often looks like the middle of the night when I get up but I just set myself a routine and make sure I stick to it. Also looking at weather forecasts constantly, as generally (not always) but wind is less in the morning and rain is usually worse in the afternoon. Plus I think I don't feel like riding when I finish work and the roads are busier (we mainly hack) and J is more forward in the morning.

Summer is a bit easier but the lockdown has made things a bit harder.

MissTyc

Visit site
I ride at 6am every day that there is sufficient lights to do so. If I try for earlier I stop after a few days as can't keep it up, but the 6.00 hack works for me! I keep the REALLY EARLY starts for eventing and beach rides lol

Lucky788

Visit site
I love it, so quiet and peaceful. My older boy struggles with the heat so by going early we avoid the heat and flies. It helps it’s light from 5ish now so doesn’t feel quite so early :)

MiniMilton

Visit site
Mid-day they are sluggish, evenings mine seem to get spooky. I think it's the sun going behind a very high bank on one side of the arena. Early morning they seem calm but forward. Perfect. Only problem is getting my ass out of bed early enough to be able to do it!

Muddywellies

Visit site
Mid-day they are sluggish, evenings mine seem to get spooky. I think it's the sun going behind a very high bank on one side of the arena. Early morning they seem calm but forward. Perfect. Only problem is getting my ass out of bed early enough to be able to do it!
Exactly this! I usually get more sense out of my mare in the mornings (except today when she was having none of it so I put her away again after 10 mins) I hate mornings so it's hard for me, but it really sets me up for the day having a good early morning session (oo err). I start work at 8.30 so it's an early start for me, and by 9.30pm I'm hanging, but usually its worth it.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have always ridden before work. I don't get up at silly o'clock (anything before 6 am) though. I love having fitted in a ride before going to work; it sets me up for the day. I find that if i plan to ride later that family life gets in the way and it rarely happens.

greenbean10

Visit site
I need to start doing this and this thread has really motivated me! I have 2 to ride at separate yards. Normally ride one in the morning and the other at around 8pm which is awful! I know if I got my arse in gear I could have both exercised by 10am and be back to start work.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I often hack about 7.30am so not too early but usually only the fact that I’ve arranged to meet someone actually motivates me to get out of bed.

Esmae

Visit site
I used to hack at 5am. In the dark in the winter, nicer in the summer. Brilliant time to hack out. Nothing on the road, just peace and tranquillity.

gunnergundog

Visit site
It's the best time of the day! :)

Always used to do it before I retired and still do it now in the summer if hot.

It's the best time of day because: you see nature out and about doing it's own thing; there is rarely (if ever!) any competition on a livery yard for use of the facilities so you have the whole caboodle to yourself; you are not stressed from having to deal with THAT twit at work and you then have the evening free to do something else....social distancing permitting! :)

Winters100

Visit site
It took a while for me to get in the routine, but now I LOVE being early on the yard. Leaves the whole day free and gives me energy for other things. I am helped by the fact that my dogs wake me early, but it is a great feeling to be outside as soon as the sun comes up!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I'm another early riser and early rider! Used to sometimes be on for 5.45 when I had company but now I tend to ride about 6.30, I wake up early and am definitely a morning person. Oh the odd occasion when I've thought I'll ride in the afternoon, there no way I have the energy.

Sealine

Visit site
Monday to Fridays I get to farm for 6:30, I feed, muck out and do all my yard jobs and I’m on board for 7:30 and ride for approx 1 hour. I’m back home eating breakfast at my desk by 9am. It really is the best time of the day. In the winter you get to see the sun rise every morning in the summer you avoid the heat and flies. You also see lots of wildlife.

racebuddy

Visit site
Ibe always
Got mine worked before work so peaceful and quiet and then they
Can have the day in the field
, even during lockdown ive still
Been working doing 13 hour shifts and still beem working him before starting work at 7.30 am xxx

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I love riding in the mornings, nice way to start the day and takes the pressure off in the evenings too. Its awkward with current yard routine but if we get another hot spell I'll go back to it. I'm usually awake before 6 anyway.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine had not done hacking much. and never alone, when I bought her. Here there was no one to go out with, after a few trips out with Mr Red on his bike. So, the first summer I was up at 4.30, out at 5am, back for 6am. Job sorted.

Not done THAT since!!! We just ride out while it is busy now, she is pretty good!

Motivation = safety and good progress.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Weirdly when I was furloughed I was riding early and quite pleased as I figured when I went back to work it would be an easy routine to keep up. I failed!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've been riding early lately; can't sleep when its hot and light outside anyway, so might as well get up and do something productive.

I left the yard with my youngster at 6am the other day; clopped through the village (oh dear, hope didn't wake anyone up!!) and went on a ride which in "normal" hours tends to be chuck-a-block with people walking dogs. There wasn't a soul there! Total bliss! Just sheer magic.

Didn't see any traffic either.

Deffo a good idea! and of course riding early means that you've got the rest of the day to do the boring stuff that you need to do like working-from-home, washing, housework etc!

Pippity

Visit site
I managed it last year, when I had to work Blue daily for a bute trial and it was too hot to work her any other time.

Never. Again.

I usually start work at 8am, sometimes at 7am, and I live half an hour away from my yard. I work from home, so at least I didn't have to bother making myself look respectable, but it was still really tough. Riding was less fun, because I was so focused on having to be done by a certain time. I couldn't spend time chilling with my horse afterwards, because I had to dash back for a meeting.

I thought it might be easier at the weekend, when I didn't have the pressure of work, but all that happened was I came home, fell asleep as soon as I sat down, and completely messed up my sleep cycle!

I envy people who can do it, but I'm 100% a night owl.