Riding is not the be all and end all.

MrsElle

Visit site
There have been a few posts of late about people getting older and less flexible or getting aware that they don't bounce as easily as they used to.

Some have contemplated giving up horses as a result.

I am closer to 50 than 40, have stiff hips, and am a bit of a porker. I also have thee horses, a 17h on loan to me from WHW, my 16.1 8 yo TB, and granddaughters Shitland. I have great dreams of bringing my TB back into work (after losing a couple of stones), and enjoying jolly hacks round the local lanes. The reality is, I will never ride again. I am too scared of falling off, of traffic, of lots of things.

However, I adore my girls. I miss them when I go away for just one night. I love spending time at the field, just me and the horses, grooming, chatting, and putting the world to rights. No matter how bad I am feeling I know that seeing my girls will put a smile on my face.

My girls make my world a better place.

Just because some if us are getting too stiff and/or wimpy to ride doesn't mean we can't enjoy our horses.

I 'may' have had a glass or two of a fruit based drink, but just wanted to say it's ok to not ride, just enjoy your equine friends :)

Mongoose11

Visit site
I haven't ridden since last August and have been told I should sell my mare because 'what's the point? (Yeh, I left 'that' yard).

The point is as follows: she has an exercise regime that is balanced and appropriate (sharer), she wants for nothing and is beautifully cared for, she is happy, healthy and some days the only reason I get out of bed. She is me but with so many more positive traits to her personality, she is my horse of a lifetime and will continue to be whether I ever get up on her again or not.

Some days I desperately, desperately miss it and other days I stand there and massage her after she has been ridden and I think that had I not been on the ground, I wouldn't have seen her little 'thinking face' or her 'trying hard' tail swish.

Just the other day she nuzzled my head for the first time ever while I massaged her withers and it have me goose bumps. I've known her for four years and there's still new things that I find out about her.

No, it's not all about riding.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Lovely post, MrsElle. I totally agree, I'm too heavy for my boy and my confidence is MIA, I can barely go across the field to catch in, but I still love my boy and his screaming like a stuck pig when he hears my voice makes all the cold, wet winter mornings worth it!

rowan666

Visit site
I completely agree im only 30 but since the birth of my second child im increasingly finding excuses not to ride when really I shouldnt have to make excuses for myself, I dont want to ride anymore so I dont have to and its ok! I still adore all my horses and ponies and cant go a day without them :)

Auslander

Visit site
So very true. I refuse to feel guilty about only riding when I feel like it - they are just animals, and as long as their needs are met, and they are happy and relaxed, there is no real need to ride them. Alf may have had an illustrious past, but nowadays, he's just a much loved happy hacker/field ornament, who occasionally shows off a few of his party tricks in the school. If I never rode him again, I'm sure he wouldn't mind at all.

millikins

Visit site
I think you need to get that *****land broken to drive, there's a whole new horsey world just waiting for you out there! (That's after a couple of sherbets too)

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I like doing all the horse care too, especially grooming. I can't imagine ever giving up riding completely, though I've decided to do a bit less. I love having horses in my life. If all I wanted to do was ride I'd give up owning and go to a riding school. The ones in my area are quite good. Nothing beats the bond you get from being involved with the same horse every day though.

L&M

Visit site
I was always of the school that 'horses should have a job' until I recently decided to turn away my older cob. He has had back issues under saddle, that we are still trying to establish whether are physical or behavioural.

Years ago I would have handed over an open cheque book to the vet/physio/chiro/saddler etc to get the horse right and back into work, but am actually really enjoying having him as a 'pet'. He has not been ridden for over 2 mnths and he is happy as larry. He gets all his needs met and we have a daily chat and scratch, and he is so chilled out I am also reluctant to progress down the vetinary route atm.

Although only 15yrs, he has had a hard working life, and has a lovely personality, and can see him just being a field ornament for at least the winter, then will have a look at him again come spring. I have already made the decision that if it is anything serious, and as long as he is comfortable in a non ridden life, he will be allowed to be an overgrown lawn mower - and have no doubt he will give me as much pleasure in the field as he did when he allowed me on his back.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
There is always Horse Agility if you want to get out and about and even do a competition occasionally, with your feet on the ground!

tinap

Visit site
I don't ride, I tried to learn, didn't like it so gave it up! The daughter is off to uni next week & there was never a question that the horse wouldn't stay with me as I love looking after her! I'm still hoping D can get home at weekends so we can still go out jumping, but if not I've been contemplating trying a bit of in hand showing with her myself (eeek!) I'd love to have a go at agility with her but can't seem to find anywhere local (ish) x

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I totally agree with you Mrs Elle - and although I am still managing to ride gently for now, I know because of my age and HMS my time is limited. When I do hang up my boots, it will not stop the enormous enjoyment I get from caring for and spending time my my 4 boys. having my horses around me is a gift I will always treasure no matter what. Thank you for such a lovely post. xx

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I haven't ridden for many years, 4 knee operations & a back that spasms regular has seen to that. It doesn't mean that I can'tenjoy the horses. I still go down every morning, turnout, muck out & bring in later. I spend time with them & really love to be around them, one in particular who has always been extra special. Fortunately I have my wife & daughter who do ride so they still get exercised & compete.

Before I retired I would sometimes be travelling in the area my horses were kept & I would pull up at the side of the lane & sit & watch them in the field without them seeing me. I found it theraputic & relaxing & stresses just ebbed away. Additionally in the evenings, after they've been bedded down & it's really quiet, to hear them munching their hay in their stables I think is bliss.

Riding is great, but it really isn't the only thing. :)

Char0901

Visit site
I'm only 22 but haven't ridden properly in over a year due to only having my yearling. I missed it at first and a lady on my new yard has asked me to exercise her horse, so this will help keep my riding ticking over until its time for my lad to be backed.
In the last year though I have thoroughly enjoyed bonding with my boy and even though I've had my own horses from the age of 9 I've learnt more about horse behaviour and management than in all those years when I was focused on riding and competing.
I can't wait to get back in the saddle but I've realised that the bond I'm developing with my homebred will make our ridden career even better.
I'm a very competent rider and can jump on pretty much anything and get a tune out of it. So this added to our strong bond makes it really exciting.
What a nice post :)

its_noodles

Visit site
I completely agree im only 30 but since the birth of my second child im increasingly finding excuses not to ride when really I shouldnt have to make excuses for myself, I dont want to ride anymore so I dont have to and its ok! I still adore all my horses and ponies and cant go a day without them :)

I suppose we have other priorities in life when we get to certain age and the risks of falling off and not be able to do other things (like looking after your children) would be a big barrier...
ps. I am still riding by the way :)

gwniver

Visit site
I ride , yet I do not ride:) . I know I can always hop on my horse , tackless , and he will listen to my cues with such concentration . But I do not do this that often as I find riding very boring , Interacting and playing in the field and going out on walks together is a lot more fun :D . I suppose we do what , I think , you would call 'trick training' .But I do not put a name to it , as learning tricks is not our motive . We never have a ' training time ' and a ' not training time ' , we just have a living time :) .
Most people have a set idea that horses are for riding , I don't blame them as that is an easy thing to infer as there is an entire enterprise based on the sport . When people hear that I don't really ride my horses they always wonder what I do with them then .
As you say ; " riding is not everything " , in fact , to me , it counts for very little ....
I am glad that not-riding is getting talked about !:D
Best Wishes
Gwn :)

Claire-R

Visit site
I'm only 25 and I have dodgy knees and dodgy hips, it hurts when I ride but fleh!! you only live once I will keep on until I physically can't anymore but I will be around horses even when I can't ride in the future as I could never give my mare up! Plus I find that horses cleanse the mind, they are much nicer than humans!

If i Had my way I would live in a massive field with a few horsey companions away from the public like some sort of crazy horse lady.... I need to win the lottery first though!

Visit site
Hear Hear Mrs Elle I haven't ridden for over a year One horse an absolute bu**er to get out alone and the other which is on loan,
is now permanently lame. Keep having conversations with myself about letting loan horse go back, but other nag gets on so well and it works having two with turn out etc.and field maintenance. Costing me a fortune, but I use them as therapy.

Bede

Visit site
I'm sure it's not the be all and end all to horses either.
Our 'turned away' is just allowing them to be a horse, doing what they were designed to do.
I do ride, but am often amazed at how well they tolerate some of the stuff we decide they 'need' to do.

MrsElle

Visit site
Your replies are lovely, it's nice to be able to admit I don't ride and not feel bad about it.

Some have said that the horses should 'earn their keep' by being ridden, that because I don't ride I should sell them because they cost a lot to keep. I do respond by saying I don't smoke, rarely go out, don't go on holiday and haven't bought new clothes since I can't remember when. They are my cigarettes, my alcohol, my holidays and worth every penny I spend on them.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
Another hear hear, MrsElle! As I get older, I feel exactly the same way.

I have 2 horses, and didn't ride for nearly 5 years - nothing wrong with the horses, I just didn't want to ride them. I adore both of them, and have built a really strong bond with them. Just being round horses is therapy for me - I tell my husband that the psychiatrist's bill would be considerably higher than the cost of livery!! I can't imagine not having a horse, but can easily imagine not riding again.

Having said all this, I am back on board now and am enjoying little hacks round the countryside on my little old mare. :)

julie111

Visit site
I love looking after my pony but I still want to carry on riding, I'm 50 next Feb. I suffer with back problems but I lost a lot of weight to be able to ride him. I totally agree with you tho just being around them is perfect;)

Field04

Visit site
Thank you for starting this thread. Have always felt so guilty for not wanting to ride as much anymore. I don't enjoy riding on my own anymore and don't have any transport so have no choice. After my latest fall and my horse galloping off down a main road I have really decided not to ride alone anymore. My mare is 17 and has just been diagnosed with Uveitis, after having recurrent eye infections. I don't want to sell her even if she is not being ridden anymore, as one of my favourite things is looking after my ponies.

I am having her shoes off tomorrow so she can just chill out in the field, had felt so guilty and useless about it until I read this thread, so thank you for starting it!!!

Tikimouse

Visit site
My younger sister loves coming to see my pony. As a kid she used to love watching my lessons and going round patting all the school ponies. She was even saying she would love one. She is too overweight to ride and a recent operation means it would probably be too risky. That and the thought of riding terrifies her. I've told her about in and showing and driving ponies....I hope she gives some thought to it!

Tikimouse

Visit site
The main reason I got a pony on loan was because I didn't like 'just riding' At the riding school. It's been almost a year and the only job I hate so far is filling haynets! I love just spending time chatting and grooming and practicing braiding with the pony as much as riding him!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Your horses, you do what you want with them, but for me if I couldn't ride I wouldn't have horses. They do have to earn their keep (in our case quite literally as they have paid "jobs" as part of our business), and there is too much hard work involved for them to be merely pets.

happyclappy

Visit site
Caring for my horses and donkeys has always been by far the best and most important part of owning them to me. I really have no problems if I do not ride or drive again, as long as I can cuddle, groom etc.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
Your horses, you do what you want with them, but for me if I couldn't ride I wouldn't have horses. They do have to earn their keep (in our case quite literally as they have paid "jobs" as part of our business), and there is too much hard work involved for them to be merely pets.

That's interesting. I guess if horses are your livelihood, then they do have to earn their keep so you can earn yours! I can see in those circumstances that there is no way you can keep a horse as a pet. Would you feel the same if you didn't earn your living from them? If something happened to you (God forbid) and you couldn't ride again, would you give up horses entirely? Please don't think I'm having a go, I'm genuinely interested. And the horse in your picture looks fabulous!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

I would never criticise anyone for not wanting to ride, because we are all different and you have to do what makes you happy, but this is how I feel too. I don't earn anything from mine but they are not pets - I love them dearly and would go to the end of the earth to care for them but they have jobs, that is for sure ;) What I love most about horses is the journey of learning & training together (though nothing beats a nice warm snuffle on a frosty day :))

That's interesting. I guess if horses are your livelihood, then they do have to earn their keep so you can earn yours! I can see in those circumstances that there is no way you can keep a horse as a pet. Would you feel the same if you didn't earn your living from them? If something happened to you (God forbid) and you couldn't ride again, would you give up horses entirely? Please don't think I'm having a go, I'm genuinely interested. And the horse in your picture looks fabulous!

Not butting in here before Cortez replies.. but I honestly don't know if I'd keep them if I could never ride again. Hard to imagine, and I don't want to think about a situation like that but I think I'd be too frustrated, forever trying to find a way to get back on board. Millie has a home for life as I owe her a decent retirement but I don't think I'd get another.