Riding Skirt!

Pippity

Visit site
I have an Eqco one in hi-viz orange, and I love it. I rode in it this morning, and was warm and cosy while my hacking buddy was shivering. I have a fleece lining on it, and it makes a huge difference when it's cold.

Rising trot has never been an issue.

The first time I rode in it, my horse freaked out at the feel of the fabric on her back, but she quickly got used to it, especially as I almost always use it with a hi-viz exercise sheet.

Getting on isn't a problem, but it usually unfastens itself when I'm getting off, which may spook a less sensible horse.

I gave my waist measurement when I ordered it, but it's still about a foot too wide, which is a nuisance and makes it less secure. I keep meaning to add poppers and extra velcro, but then I see how thick the fabric is and run away!

FitzyFitz

Visit site
I made mine adapting a basic circle skirt pattern.

Yeah, i was thinking a circle skirt with an overlapped but not actually closed front, velcro waist in case i get caught in something and about calf length would work well. Not sure on materials to be not too heavy but also not too light/flappy and rustly.. maybe a softshell with a membrane. Got to wait until my sewing stuff is back out of boxes though which could be a while!

Landcruiser

Visit site
Just googled and they are lovely! But I’m baffled as to why- what makes them superior to jodhs? I’m very willing to be talked into one!
Keep you nice and warm and dry but also keep your saddle dry. I have an Arctic Horse one, which is actually too warm unless it's really cold - but it's brilliant for sitting in at demos, shows and clinics etc

shortenmyreins

New User
Visit site
Yeah, i was thinking a circle skirt with an overlapped but not actually closed front, velcro waist in case i get caught in something and about calf length would work well. Not sure on materials to be not too heavy but also not too light/flappy and rustly.. maybe a softshell with a membrane. Got to wait until my sewing stuff is back out of boxes though which could be a while!
That's what I did, except I put a 2-way zipper down the front. I used soft-shell and a polar fleece inner layer as I need it for warmth more than water repelling. Put a snap on the bottom front corners of the skirt to the waistband so you can snap it up out of the way when getting on. Best thing ever!

FitzyFitz

Visit site
That's what I did, except I put a 2-way zipper down the front. I used soft-shell and a polar fleece inner layer as I need it for warmth more than water repelling. Put a snap on the bottom front corners of the skirt to the waistband so you can snap it up out of the way when getting on. Best thing ever!
ooh 2 way zip is a good idea, did you have leg loops as well? wouldnt that stop the snaps working?

shortenmyreins

New User
Visit site
I've never regretted no leg straps - with something like 4 meters of softshell and fleece it's quite heavy! I ride inside all winter (I'm in the Canadian prairies where it gets real cold) so I'm not exposed to wind. There's enough skirt in front of the leg I could easily tuck a bit under if need be. If you felt the need for leg straps you'd have to do them up once in the saddle. I'd be more annoyed about not being able to snap the skirt out of my way when mounting or picking feet.
FB_IMG_1698184301640.jpgFB_IMG_1698184319739.jpg
Skirt corners snapped up for mounting.
FB_IMG_1698184334811.jpg

Pippity

Visit site
That's very different to my Eqco skirt, which is more like two ovals of fabric that overlap at front and back. The result is that it's a lot shorter over the pommel and cantle than it is over your legs, but still enough fabric to keep the saddle dry and the warm air inside.

The contrasting binding on this example from their website makes it a bit more obvious.

1698221974426.png

It does have legstraps, but I generally forget to do them up and it's never flapped noticeably.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I've never regretted no leg straps - with something like 4 meters of softshell and fleece it's quite heavy! I ride inside all winter (I'm in the Canadian prairies where it gets real cold) so I'm not exposed to wind. There's enough skirt in front of the leg I could easily tuck a bit under if need be. If you felt the need for leg straps you'd have to do them up once in the saddle. I'd be more annoyed about not being able to snap the skirt out of my way when mounting or picking feet.
View attachment 125858View attachment 125859
Skirt corners snapped up for mounting.
View attachment 125860

It looks fabulous!
But even if it is heavy, I can easily see why some people was worried about the potential "flappability" risk in using a riding skirt. And I wouldn't want to use that type of model out on my bicycle, because there's way too much material that could get stuck in my back wheel.

I tried to take pictures of my bought thermal riding skirt, but my cats was adamant I hanged it up for them to play with, so the pictures are the the way they are. On the second picture I put a crossword magazine under the inside leg strap to make it more visible, the holes in the strap makes it a bit adjustable.

NUphycxb_t.jpg

UZDo4Kmj_o.jpg

pistolpete

Visit site
Well the DoPo skirt got its first proper outing to day and it did not disappoint. Doesn’t look silly. Was awesome for the first hour but the biblical rain did finally get under it! Fine getting on and off. Leg straps kept it in place. No wind today but oh my god did it rain!!