Riding whilst on blood thinners, a cautionary tale

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
So sorry @oldie48 but glad you're ok. It's just not older people who are on thinners. I've been on them for a number of years following pulmonary emboli. It hasn't stopped me riding (or falling off) or skiing etc. I think we need to risk assess personal to our own situation. There is finally now an antidote to Apixaban which has given me some peace of mind.

I was given that Nicnac but I still lost over 3 pints of blood.

The trouble with having horses is that you could be injured and no one would know, maybe bringing the horses in on your own or hacking on your own , if you don’t get help quickly it could be too late if taking blood thinners , I decided I had to stop doing dangerous things like helping to load a horse who doesn’t want to, it just takes them a minute to fling their head about and knock yours and therefore could cause a bleed.. I was told by the hospital that once you’ve had a brain bleed you are more susceptible to them in the future so I don’t get involved with any horses who are playing about. It’s still very difficult as I was always there to help with youngsters etc and now feel I darent… it’s pants!!!

Marigold4

Visit site
|No I wasn't wearing a body protector. Stupidly really as I have an air jacket but tbh I stopped wearing it because I felt so safe on this horse. It's for sale if anyone is interested, it's the gilet type and is actually very smart but I think I just felt so confident on Mr D. thank you for all your good wishes. I'm lucky that I have lots of friends who train and compete their horses and I know I'd be welcome company. I will get my horsey fix and I am lucky to live near to Hartpury so can go to some decent comps as a spectator, I might do some fence judging in the season. With hindsight, I should have always worn my air jacket but it's easy to be wise after the event!
Probably a good idea to stop in the circumstances. I have seen older riders just not having the same balance and flexibility to sit a lively horse but not realising how "wooden" they are compared to younger riders. Something for us all to look out for - blood thinners or not!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Really sorry to read this Oldie! I hope your recovery is a speedy one.

It sounds good that you have other ways to keep involved with horses and get your fix without riding :)

GTRJazz

Visit site
I am on blood thinners after a skiing accident caused stroke eight months ago , had a tooth removed a few weeks ago and was surprised how little it bleed. Still enjoy my riding but will have to stop one day then the horses will be kept as pets as we have them at home now

SaharaS

Visit site
Oh my, really glad you have bounced back and still with us..life is precious and can change so fast. A HUGE decision but I suppose if you miss it too much..you could always start collecting miniature horses!hopefully you have grandchildren to enjoy horses with..even if it is from terra firma. Speedy recovery and please don't take up rally driving instead!x

Bernster

Visit site
ALos very sad to read this. I’ve enjoyed reading your posts but I hope you get to still have your horsey fix in a way that works better for you. I suspect it’s something us aging (and in my case not very fit!) riders will have to come to terms with at some point. I’m not quite ready to hang up my riding boots but I’m not sure how much jumping I’ll do going forward.