Riding whilst pregnant

ArabianGem78

Visit site
So the partner and I are about 10 weeks pregnant. Baby is completely unplanned but we've got our heads around it and are getting on with it (we're 37 and almost 37 so figured we ought to get on with it!!!!).

Am I naive to think I can continue to ride until I'm almost fit to drop?

OK, so that is slightly tongue-in-cheek. But I'd love to hear other people's experiences. I do hope to continue riding and competing as long as possible. There's an 80km endurance ride in April, and potentially May if I'm still in the saddle that has our name on it. And I'm still planning on running and cycling for as long as possible (though the triathlon plans have had to be shelved - the wetsuit won't fit for much longer!)

Those of you who have had children, did you still ride? How was it?

Tandr

Visit site
I rode and planned to ride till the end unfortunately my pregnancy wasn't straight forward so only managed till I was about 14 weeks so I would say take it as it comes but I wouldn't pay any entrance fees etc

PorkChop

Visit site
Congratulations :)

You do what you want to do! You will find that some people ride throughout their pregnancy and some do not - just do a search on the forum, there are some very long threads :)

You will know what is best for you, enjoy it :)

smellsofhorse

Visit site
When I was pregnant I had three horses.
A steady boy. A young TB and a young welsh x.
I stopped riding the TB straight away. He was a very spooky ride, I stopped jumping the steady boy straight away too.
I continued to ride the welsh x a few days a week and got a help with her.
I planned to ride as long as possible but at about 5.5 months I was out hacking when my safe (17.2hh) tripped . He fell to his knees and I almost fell off.
Totally not his fault.
It really scared me so I stopped riding.
Also just before this, schooling the welsh , especially in canter I could feel the baby pushing on my pelvic floor.
The midwife said, well maybe you shouldn't be cantering!

I continued to look after them right up until the day I had her.
Mucking out, poo picking and lunging.
I had two days off then carried on. I was riding after a week
( I had stitches) and did a jumping clinic less than two weeks after.

Just go by how you feel, what you feel is safe and what you can physically do.

Good luck and congratulations. X

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Thanks! So far, it's been really straight forward. Minimal sickness, just mahoosive, sore boobs and falling asleep on the sofa at 8pm every evening. Really attractive.

I guess we just take it all on a week-by-week basis. Thankfully, OH is completely behind me still riding and competing as much as is feasible and safe, and already a super star at feeding and poo-picking. My mare lives out which makes things much easier!

Follysmum

Visit site
I rode until about 4 months. My horse was very forward going and bouncy and my boobs and bump started to get in the way.

pinkypug1

Visit site
I stopped riding as soon as I found out with both babies. I know everything we do each day is risky but riding the horse was just something I didn't want to take the risk doing as it really wasn't a essential task I needed to do & loaned horses out. Unfortunately I had a close friend lose a baby at 21 weeks due to a fall from her very steady happy hacker & I just could forgive myself for losing a baby just so I could continue to ride. 9 months isn't that long in the grand scheme of things :) I actuallky found it more difficult to give up my weekend bottle of Sauvignon blanc lol!!

willhegofirst

Visit site
It was rather a while ago now, eldest is 25, when I was pregnant with him I had two horses, a youngster ready to back, he had to wait and was sold once backed after son was born, and my riding horse, I carried on riding him, just hacking until I was about 6-7months pregnant It got awkward getting on and I was getting a stitch so stopped.
Other than hitting the deck at 12 weeks with the second son, not to be recommended! baby was ok, I was numb around my hip for months, carried on riding until about 5 months pregnant, as the stitches began earlier.
Was basicly told if you did it before you were pregnant it was ok to do while pregnant, within reason.

Bertolie

Visit site
My daughter is also 10 weeks pregnant and isn't riding her horse as he can be a bit spooky, doesn't do anything major but just enough to possibly unbalance her. She is however riding my oldie who is a steady Eddie who's idea of spooking is to take one pace to the side!

My daughter in law has just had her second child. She rode till she was 8 months pregnant with her first but only rode till around 4 months with the second as she was a lot bigger and felt unbalanced.

It really is a personal decision.

CPayne

Visit site
Congratulations. I have two little ones now and rode with both until a few days before they were due. I was still competing dressage and quadrille up to about 3 months but sitting trot became too uncomfortable (serious need for a pee!) not long after that. I only rode my old boy, who I've had for about 13 years now, although interestingly I found canter more comfortable than trot in the later stages. I found the return to riding more difficult, no stitches or anything it was just that my weight had changed so rapidly that I felt really unbalanced at first. I was back in the saddle after about 10 days, a bit longer with the second as it was winter!
You need to do what you're happy with though and what is comfortable for you. Good luck, enjoy your pregnancy. X

wills_91

Visit site
Congratulations! I stopped as soon as I found out but my horse was only 4 at the time, I also had terrible sickness all the way through and minimal energy. I carried on with everything else until the day before I went into labour. Unfortunately I had a tricky birth & wasnt cleared to ride for a year after birth! Everyone is different, you know you & horse best - just take each day as it comes would be my advice.

ponydi

Visit site
1st - kept OH (now ex) and in-laws happy. Stopped riding. Felt very unfit! 2nd, 3rd and 4th rode till last minute, though stopped jumping when my balance was iffy. Didn't ride youngsters. Do what you're comfortable with!

sare_bear

Visit site
Congratulations! I am 15 weeks pregnant and stopped riding last week. I always thought I would ride for as long as possible, but having got as far as 13 weeks and seen the little one on the scan, I know I couldn't live with myself if I fell off and miscarried. I am 38 and know that time is not on my side. Its a personal decision. My OH said he would support me either way, but know he feels more comfortable now I have hung up my boots. (for now that is). I know lots of people that continue to ride for a long way through their pregnancy with no problems. Enjoy your pregnancy, what ever you decide.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Congratulations! Do whatever you want (and your partner, a little!) to do. I rode until 7 months, I trust my horse but he was on rehab box rest and was being a plonker, so I stopped riding and kicked him out onto small paddock rest.

But I was very lucky in that I had a very small bump, no sickness and generally felt good, it was only after I realised how humungously pudgy with fluid I was, my feet nd cankles were massive!

I skied at 8 weeks, and continued fieldwork for my phd til 8 months, and poo picking etc. it was hard though sometimes!

Spotsrock

Visit site
I rode till 7.5 months but struggled to get off my high withered tb after 6 months and found I preferred riding my smaller horse as I've had her forever. Last mad canter at 7 months exactly but stopped riding a couple weeks later, mainly too tired though.
This is my 1st, I'm 34. Hubs accepted but wasn't delighted about me riding so long.

MagicMelon

Visit site
It totally depends on how you cope with pregnancy really. I rode up and competed until 2 months prior, I was lucky and didn't get big until nearer the end. My other half didn't want me to jump (although technically before we knew I had done 3 BE novices and some 1.20's BS but hey ho!), so I did dull dressage instead. I couldn't fit into my show jacket at about 5 months so competed in a black sweatshirt instead (having told the judge why prior!). It got a little uncomfy towards the end, getting on and off got harder (you have to slide off tummy out if you know what I mean) and I felt a bit front-heavy. But it was perfectly ok to ride up until the 7 month mark for me and I would have carried on probably another month (gently) had my horse not permanently injured himself in the field.

I wouldn't have ridden "untrustworthy" horses, during my pregnancy I only rode two horses that I knew well (not ploddy types by any means (a 17.2hh warmblood and a very sharp 16hh lusitano x TB) but still "safe"). Its personal preference, I guess you continue on if you want to and just see how you go - just don't make any long term plans ;) I was encouraged to keep riding by my doctor and my midwife as they had horses and rode through their own pregnancies!

It's afterwards you may need to consider a break, I had an emergency full anaesthetic job c-section so was in awful pain with that and on blood pressure pills for a while after which made me dizzy so that drove me nuts. Although I still managed to start backing a pony 5 weeks after... then fell off twice!

Last edited:

madmav

Visit site
It's definitely a personal choice and down to how you're feeling and how much you trust your horse. Funnily enough, I've just been re- reading diary I kept when I was pregnant with my two. Had forgotten how exhausted I was, with work, looking after house, etc. driving an hour to work was a killer as I was dying for the loo 45 mins in. So it is a tiring thing. As for the safety aspect, it's probably no more dangerous to ride a horse than drive a car whilst pregnant. At the time of my first, I lived in a dodgy part of London and was always worried I might be mugged and knifed in stomach while walking home from work late at night. It's one of those things, you will worry about everything.
But it is a wonderful, magical time, too. Enjoy it. Congratulations.

Lemonpolo

Visit site
Congratulations :) I only managed to ride till I was about 13 weeks. I only stopped as the horse I was riding (not mine just a sharer) at the time jogged everywhere and it was just uncomfortable due to my hyper mobility (extra stretchier ligaments).

Do what ever you feel comfortable doing, there are risks but then again there are risks walking down the street, you just have to weigh them up.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well :)

dizzyneddy

Visit site
Congratulations on your news. Every pregnancy is different l've 4 children & l rode during all of them. But l think if you continue to ride your body will tell when to stop so listen to it - the last thing you want to do is ride when you are either tired or not feeling 100% as anything can happen even with the calmest of horses.

I rode my spooky ISH up until being 6 months pregnant with my 1st & l was jumping & schooling her as she's not a happy hacker. When l was carrying my 2nd the bump kept hitting the pommel of the saddle so at 5.5 months l had to stop riding due to the comfort factor. I was able to rideup until 7.5 months with my 3rd but towards the end l was only doing light work with no jumping or fast work. But with my last pregnancy l rode up until the day before l gave birth whilst riding my daughters native pony. I felt riding really helped, l also had a supportive midwife who outlined the dangers especially as the doctor wasn't too chuffed but l felt ok & wanted to carry on as normal. Also l felt my body coped better with the births & recovery due to exercising whilst carrying so l was fitter.

You won't be able to do alot of things & don't be scared to ask for help whilst doing jobs as you don't want to overdo things. I was mucking out mine & doing everything until thd day l dropped but heavy lifting had to be done by friends or relatives. Enjoy this amazing time as you life is changing forever good luck.

Jazzy B

Visit site
Congratulations. Personal choice and all that but I lost my baby because I hit the deck off my happy hacker so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

showpony

Visit site
Very personal choice op... Personally I wouldn't. I had a scare a good while ago, didn't even know I was pregnant at the time and had a nasty fall... It was very early on but mis carried...

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
It's a personal decision but I rode my pony up to 32 weeks with my 1st and 28 weeks with my 2nd. My body told me that riding was uncomfortable with 2nd pregnancy. I didn't jump nor go at faster paces when pregnant, pony too slow anyyway!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Because I felt safe I rode til 6 months with number 1, including light jumping, but only about 3 months with number 2 as it suited my lifestyle then. Body was fine, for that I was grateful. Pregnancies were good, small but healthy babies.

Wazerati

New User
Visit site
I rode until about month eight with both my pregnancies no problems at all. But I had two big babies and was left with a lot issues re bladder incontinence and then prolapse issues. I have subsequently been told that riding places a huge strain on the pelvic floor when you are pregnant. My return to riding was very delayed due to the bladder problems (several ops etc) and I still have a lot of issues which don't help with riding. In hindsight stopping at 5 months would have been sensible and would have had less of an impact (!!) on my riding but I doubt I would have listened to any advice. To be honest riding while pregnant seems to be a badge of honour but in reality us horsey ladies can get it all a bit out of perspective!

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Thanks all. Lots of different thoughts and perspectives. I am aware of the risks but having thought it through, I can't stop yet. Riding, and keeping fit in general are such a big part of who I am. I've really struggled to come to terms with being pregnant and the imminent changes to our lives - I was still at the "I don't want children" stage - that to stop doing the things that make me me, even temporarily, would make me so darned miserable we decided I'd keep going for as long as it feels safe/manageable.

Dizzle

Visit site
I rode intermittently until 5 months (mostly following OH walking the dog as my mare follows him like a puppy) as my old YO was very reluctant for me to ride, I wish I'd ridden more as mare is now obese and I'm not much better! I also found it very difficult emotionally to not have the release of popping a few poles and a good gallop.

I'd advise against cantering a ride and furrow field though, ouch!

SpringArising

Visit site
would make me so darned miserable we decided I'd keep going for as long as it feels safe/manageable.

Do you think you would be less miserable if you came off and something happened to your baby?

It's your baby and the risks you take will ultimately be on your shoulders, but is riding ever safe?

ETA - these aren't digs, I'm just genuinely curious as to what your thought processes are.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
My friend is about to pop in 2 weeks ans she carried on until she was 7.5 months. Only stopped because it Wasnt comfy anymore. She has an 18yr old newfie. Who's pretty good but can have the odd excitable buck