Riding whilst pregnant

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
Not me but my hacking buddy who I met during the summer after I moved to the area (she had also recently moved to the same village and we met through my OH's sister), when we first started riding out she was five months pregnant. We hacked out regularly up until she was just over seven months pregnant and the only reason she stopped was because it was becoming uncomfortable for her to ride with the bump, which only really made a significant appearance not long before she stopped riding.

We only walked/trotted as we did a lot of roadwork, all three of the horses that she rode were acting as babysitters for my young racehorse who was learning about the joys of hacking and open spaces. We discussed riding whilst pregnant at length, as she had received mildly negative comments from work colleagues about riding whilst pregnant, however her husband was more than happy for her to continue riding as long as she was happy. Her horses ranged from 18-23 I think and she had owned them for the majority of their lives.

I think the decision lies with you as an individual. My friend has since had a beautiful baby girl and we are already planning going back out hacking in the new year, as well as getting to work on her two unbroken youngsters. I don't know what my decision would be in the same situation - my partner and I have a large number of horses which would require me to still work with them from the ground; riding our horses isn't necessary as they are all broken to harness and my OH would still be able to exercise my mare should I be unable to. I certainly wouldn't judge someone who chose to do it differently to me anyway.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
These are valid points and ones I have considered - not taken as digs at all. I think yes, on the balance of things, I am prepared to take the risk of falling off and losing the baby. Someone else already made the point that everything is a risk. I drive every day. I cycle regularly. I run regularly. Each of these have an element of risk. But I feel that I have mitigated those risks as much as I can. I don't jump. My mare is pretty safe, and I know her extremely well. If my pregnancy becomes high risk, I will stop.
Do you think you would be less miserable if you came off and something happened to your baby?

It's your baby and the risks you take will ultimately be on your shoulders, but is riding ever safe?

ETA - these aren't digs, I'm just genuinely curious as to what your thought processes are.

MileAMinute

Visit site
I wouldn't dare...but then again I am high risk anyway due to a chronic condition. Riding is a hobby. Driving a car or crossing the road is not.
I guess it's personal choice but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if anything happened, nor would I expect my partner to forgive me for being selfish and pursuing my high risk hobby.

Jay89

Visit site
Congratulations! I'm just over 13 weeks pregnant and even though my horse is pretty bomb proof, I've decided to stop riding, I don't think I'd ever forgive myself if I had a fall and lost the baby. I miss riding, but I just don't think it's worth the risk.

Nessa4

Visit site
I was riding at a show a week before my younger daughter was born (40+ years ago) - was followed round all day by a very worried looking St John's Ambulance man, carrying his bag. And a bucket.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I've really struggled to come to terms with being pregnant and the imminent changes to our lives - I was still at the "I don't want children" stage - that to stop doing the things that make me me, even temporarily, would make me so darned miserable we decided I'd keep going for as long as it feels safe/manageable.

This was exactly where I was so I totally understand how you feel. I intended to continue riding all through my pregnancy (very safe cob, quiet hacking and schooling only). Unfortunately I had to stop at around 5 months due to problems with my hip ligaments getting too stretchy. I did a lot of in-hand stuff instead, but I definately pushed it when showing in-hand at 7 months - hadn't realised trotting up was such hard work and felt quite sore the next day!

Once I had to stop riding I re-focused and did a lot of "training" for my labour to try and minimise problems afterwards. Hypnotherapy, yoga, sitting on a ball at work, I tried everything that might work (and couldn't hurt), even homeopathy which I don't believe in at all. Don't know if it worked or I was just lucky but I had a very straightforward labour in the pool with no pain killers etc. Healthy baby and very quick recovery.

kobi

Visit site
I competed BE until 3 months. Continued to jump until 4 months. Intended to ride until 7.5 months (which would have got me to a point where lack of winter light and poor weather makes it a bit of a chore anyway) but it got really uncomfortable for me at about 6.5 months. I'm quite small and bump was quite big. Felt like I had little baby limbs digging in my nether regions every time I sat to the beat in trot. Owch. I wouldn't have got on anybody else's horse but mine was a superstar.

Moomin1

Visit site
I rode up until about 3 months but then felt the risk was too high after nearly falling. I have a beautiful 3mth old daughter now who I can't imagine life without and am glad I didn't take any unnecessary risks after that point. However, I do stand by my decision to ride up until 3 months, as I feel the risk of miscarriage is higher anyway in those months, therefore whilst I am able to continue as normal a life as possible I will.

ETA - my OH was happy for me to make my own decision with regard riding during pregnancy. Whilst he had his own views on it, he also acknowledged that it was my body, and I was the one who had to make the decision.

Last edited:

pixie

Visit site
I've not ridden at all, because to me its just not worth the risk. Still handling the horses and doing some of the chores though.

You might feel differently after you've had your first scan, when it will begin to feel a bit more real.

Working Hunter

New User
Visit site
I am the same age and 6 weeks preg. I jumped today but I only did it because I felt ok. I'm so horsey I'm in a bit of a shock situation ATM. But I do want children so it's all part of it I guess. Good luck. Xx

gingernut81

Visit site
I rode up to 12 weeks "officially" but really I rode up to 20 weeks - the day before my scan to be precise. I only rode in the school for about 10 mins each time. Couldn't go cold turkey until I had too ie bump too big for me to get on and off!! Lol

MagicMelon

Visit site
I rode and competed in dressage up until 7 months and only then stopped because my horse injured himself in a big way in the field. My OH didn't really want me riding at all but we came to the agreement I just wouldn't jump and would purely do boring dressage instead... I would have still jumped early on by choice (and did do two BE novices before it was confirmed I was pregnant). It depends on you really, I didn't get big until quite late on so I was lucky. It wasn't the comfiest thing in the world once you do get big, getting on and off is a chore and I didn't like the sloshing about and heavy feeling. I also threw up most mornings, I remember doing so just before getting on for a dressage test! I had complications (not riding related!) so had an emergency GA c-section and problems with my blood pressure after, but even with that I started backing a welsh cob at 5 weeks... you can continue on with a baby - its easy when they don't move, I just parked my son in his pram by the paddock while I rode or my mum watched him. It's FAR harder now my son is 2 1/2 yrs as of course he refuses to stay still and gets into trouble easily so I can only ride very quickly while he is having his afternoon nap (or once he's gone to bed when evenings are lighter) - it depends on your OH though, he might be able to help out more? Mine works a lot so I can't really get him involved.

I don't really agree with the "risk" thing, if you really wanted to be that cautious then you wouldn't set foot in a car while you were pregnant or walk anywhere in case you fell over. Obviously, I think people should try to minimise the risk as far as they want to, I only rode two horses that although sharp, I trusted a lot. I wouldn't have hopped on a youngster or a strangers horse. It depends what sort of person you are too, I hated pregnancy and just wanted to carry on as normal so I did whereas I know some people get pregnant, absolutely love it and wrap themselves in cotton wool for the duration.

Last edited:

SpringArising

Visit site
I don't really agree with the "risk" thing, if you really wanted to be that cautious then you wouldn't set foot in a car while you were pregnant or walk anywhere in case you fell over.

Having to ride in a car and having to walk is completely different to making an active choice to ride a fight or flight animal with a brain of its own and no certain breaks.

Do you wear a hat, or do you not bother because if you cared that much about safety, you wouldn't ride at all?

BSL

Visit site
The minute I found out I was pregnant, I stopped riding. My thoughts being, true there are risks in life that one can not avoid. However riding a horse, which is known to be a high risk recreation, was one I could choose to put on hold, until baby was born. It's only a few months after all.

MileAMinute

Visit site
Having to ride in a car and having to walk is completely different to making an active choice to ride a fight or flight animal with a brain of its own and no certain breaks.

Do you wear a hat, or do you not bother because if you cared that much about safety, you wouldn't ride at all?

Taken the words right out of my mouth. Even if my pregnancy wasn't high risk, I wouldn't ride. It's only 9 months (less if you find out at 8-12 weeks).

MagicMelon

Visit site

I always wear a hat yes. I believe its very good to stay active when pregnant. Both my doctor and one of the nurses who did my check-ups both rode during their pregnancies. It is your choice what you do/did, I'm just saying its dangerous going in a car etc. Riding isn't the worst thing in the world to do.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
17 weeks now and feeling so much better the fatigue has worn off!

Still riding, still running and still cycling. So far, so good. But I will stop if there are any signs of any of the above causing problems.

Mariposa

Visit site
I played my last polo tournament at 12 weeks pregnant, before I'd told anyone bar my close family that I was having a baby. My poor long suffering groom had to cope with me almost throwing up in between chukkas, and I couldn't lean down to take my spurs on and off....ugh i felt dreadful! I stopped riding after that as I didn't really feel I should or cold carry on ( and ironically then felt much better in my second trimester of course!) but had I had a nice sensible pony to ride I'd have liked to have carried on riding for a little longer.

I think it's a very personal thing, do what you feel comfortable with and don't let anyone push you into any decision.

Wishful

Visit site
13 weeks and still riding but giving up in 2 more weeks. Getting off is getting to be less comfortable. Riding at RS, gave up jumping around 8 weeks. Went skiing last week and enjoyed lots of mileage and plenty of (Italian so pisted) blacks so consider riding similar risk.

If I felt balance affected would have stopped sooner. No sickness so suspect that helps. So many miscarriages anyway before 12 weeks so figured stress relief of hobby balanced risk of falling (minimal on rs sensible types in indoor flat lessons).

Scan made me think a little but low risk pregnancy anyway and fairly cynical attitude to early miscarriage (didn't test until around 6 weeks as deemed myself "late" rather than pregnant until 8 or so). Limiting factor was probably always intended to be getting off in the traditional way as a nice, objective judgement of my agility!

Serephin

Visit site
I rode up until 37 weeks pregnant. I would have rode for longer but had my baby at 38 weeks before I got the chance to ride again! Was back in the saddle 7 weeks after baby was born.

My horse looked after me and is a sensible chap. I felt totally at ease riding him whilst pregnant. In fact, in the saddle was more comfortable than the sofa!

Its personal choice and it kept me sane and happy and fit.

Handsome Jack

Visit site
Do you think you would be less miserable if you came off and something happened to your baby?

It's your baby and the risks you take will ultimately be on your shoulders, but is riding ever safe?

ETA - these aren't digs, I'm just genuinely curious as to what your thought processes are.

I have to kind of agree with you, after three days I am pretty miserable if I cannot ride..but its not just about you - and at 37 how many more chances will you get, and if you do come off and have a miscarriage how will that truly make you feel?

I have a friend who has just had her first at 42 - she is a truly remarkable horsewoman and it was not a planned pregnancy I did wait with bated breath to see if she would stop - she did, and got back on as soon as she could...

ETA - and after riding and being hit by a car a couple of years ago anything can happen...

Irish gal

Visit site
Wonderful you're enjoying it so much...I would just remember that horses are unpredictable, an accident can happen any time and you might feel very badly should that happen and your baby suffers. Personally I wouldn't ride, you can ride any time in life, it's not always so easy to get pregnant though.

glamourpuss

Visit site
I rode in all 3 of my pregnancies. Sadly one of mine was a mid term loss. Yes I was riding but I didn't fall, didn't get knocked & the riding had nothing to do with it (full PM which gave unrelated reasons) It was just one of those desperately sad things that happens.
When I got pregnant again both my midwife & my consultant were fine with my decision to carry on riding.
The problem with being pregnant is it makes you public property & the world & their wife feel they can tell you what you should/shouldn't do [sigh]