Ringworm - advice pls

eatonbraynat

Visit site
I have just started working at a pet shop. I have been advised by a third party who does not and never has worked there but knows people who do, that they have problems with ringworm in the smaller animals and to make sure I use gloves, aprons etc when handling them.

This has completely terrified my as I absolutely don't want to put my dogs and horses at risk ( or myself) of getting this.

I am considering leaving this job due to this, however, I currently have not see any evidence of this but staff do use gloves and aprons when handling these animals.

Am I being paranoid or would this put you off too?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I wouldn't be terrified, ringworm is a PITA but not the end of the world.
What kind of animals does the shop sell? If they are examined regularly and there's some kind of quarantine procedure in place for new arrivals, cage hygiene etc then I don't see why it would be any more risky than handling pets belonging to friends etc?

eggs

Visit site
Have you seen any evidence of ringworm?

I've dealt with horses that had ringworm and needed treatment. As long as you keep strict hygiene standards it shouldn't be a problem.

eatonbraynat

Visit site
They sell rabbits and guinea pigs and other small rodents. No I haven't seen any evidence of ringworm, I have been googling and terrifying myself I think! I am concerned as there seems to be an incubation period where no signs are shown but they are still contagious. :(

eggs

Visit site
It certainly isn't something to be terrified of but can live in wood etc and then infect animals that come into contact with it. There are plenty of treatments (eg. Imaverol) that are very effective at clearing it up.

I suggest you speak to the pet shop owner to see if they have had ringworm.

Eluana

eluana.webs.com
I work in a pet shop who also stocks all the small furries.
We've been ringworm free free for over a year, touch wood it will stay that way too.

I have dealt with ringworm in the past and as long as you wear your PPE, and disinfect everything you should be fine. I've caught ringworm from something (99% sure it was the outside world and not work that I got it from), it was easily treated with an anti-fungal cream.

Your place of work should have a procedure for dealing with ringworm if it's a common issue - ask to see it and be taken through the procedure.

eatonbraynat

Visit site
I work in a pet shop who also stocks all the small furries.
We've been ringworm free free for over a year, touch wood it will stay that way too.

I have dealt with ringworm in the past and as long as you wear your PPE, and disinfect everything you should be fine. I've caught ringworm from something (99% sure it was the outside world and not work that I got it from), it was easily treated with an anti-fungal cream.

Your place of work should have a procedure for dealing with ringworm if it's a common issue - ask to see it and be taken through the procedure.

So it's not the whole hangs around for months and keep re infecting everyone and everything that google talks about?
I heard if you get it, once it gets into carpets, materials etc that it can hang around for 18 months :0

Eluana

eluana.webs.com
It can hang around for 18 months, but if you are following the cleaning procedure's that I'd imagine your store has, then you shouldn't have to worry too much, as cleaning with the right disinfectant should take care of any spores if you are thorough.
Ringworm is a pain and something to be aware of and cautious about, but it's not that big a deal if you know what your doing and treat/disinfect everything as needs be.