RIP my beautiful girl

silv

Visit site
I am very sorry to read this.
The same thing happened to me with my beautiful mare 15 months ago, so I know exactly how heartbroken you must be, its just the most awful thing to happen. The only consolation is that it would have been quick and she was in her own paddock with her friend at the time.

Take care

Lammy

Visit site
Thank you again everyone, the outpouring of love for this little mare has been amazing both on here and on my fb page from people who knew her. It makes me cry every time I get a comment but it’s worth it.

I’m with my family who are totally non horsey but even dad cried when he came with me today.

Billy the old guy has totally accepted it and is happy to stand by her or leave her, hopefully it helps to settle the young one.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read this. She looks like a sweet girl and sounds like you gave her a lovely life with you. Xx

blitznbobs

Visit site
I know it’s awful for you but if you can look at it like, she went without a major illness or suffering in her favourite place and maybe take some comfort from that... most don’t get to do that.

Mister Ted

Visit site
It’s really hard for me to put this into words but my beautiful, sassy, amazing mare was found dead in the field late this morning.

I don’t understand she was just shy of her 21st birthday and feeling great. We had a fast hack on Thursday and she even snuck in a cheeky canter.

I just feel lost now. She was the best mare and I’ll never have another like her. I know it’s still raw but I’m so devastated a thought we had years left together. I’m going to go and sit with her in the field and figure out what I want to do any suggestions will be appreciated but I know I don’t want the hunt to come and take her she deserves more than that.

Bye my beautiful princess, hopefully I’ll see you again.
View attachment 30861View attachment 30862View attachment 30863View attachment 30864
She has had a lovely life with you and it was probably just her time...still devastating though.One consolation is she didnt have an illness and spared you the agony of having her pts. There will be a knackery firm in the surrounding area that will come and take your pony away for incineration for a fee.I had to put my Welshie to sleep and after the vet left the disposal firm were on time and so kind and understanding.

Merrymoles

Visit site
What a dreadful shock but she would likely have known nothing about it. Your vets may have some suggestions if you can't sort a burial.

Thinking of you.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Sorry to hear, this will have been such a shock.
She was beautiful, and I'm sure she passed without pain, stress free and happy.
Look after yourself. x

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
So very sorry; she looked such a lovely mare.

I just wonder whether if she "knew" that her time had come, and she just laid down and went over to Rainbow Bridge all on her own without you needing to make "the decision" concerning her; that is the way I would see it, that she was saving you that pain, bless her.

Re. what you do now. Bear in mind that IF you do get a "bloke with a digger", (sorry to be graphic here) you will need to dig a VERY big pit........ and if you are around when the whole thing is happening, you may find it very distressing. And you will need (for obvious reasons, sorry) to get on with it without delay........

There will be people in your area that deal with just such a situation discreetly and sensitively - your vet will have a list to hand if you need. However bear in mind that unless you pay for individual cremation (which is very costly) you won't know for sure that the ashes you get back are exclusively those of "your" horse. Just warning you. Ditto the advice of not being around when your horse is being loaded up and taken away - you may find yourself hussled away quietly by the operator(s) while this is happening, as they know that it isn't an easy thing for owners to watch and to have as a last memory.

So very sorry, I had my two oldies PTS last autumn (which was planned), and cannot imagine what you must be going through.

Reactions: SEL

Asha

Visit site
So sorry for your loss, that must have been a dreadful shock for you. take comfort that from her point of view, she went having had a lovely hack with you, no long term illness to suffer and went peacefully in her sleep, in her own field with her friends around her.
She was a beautiful girl.
As for the burial, just make sure you don't have any water courses near you. I lost my boy last year, hes buried in a lovely part of the field, and i get great comfort from having a chat with him every now and then. Take care of yourself .

sportsmansB

Visit site
I lost my special girl over a year ago now, same thing just laying in the field.
We got a digger man to come and she is buried alongside a few other special ones
I wasn't there though for that bit and I would strongly encourage you not to be either, its not something you would want to see if you can help it at all.

I too got a lot of comfort from the support of people who knew us, though I cried buckets for days and still well up at the facebook memories of various events and pictures, glad as I am to have them

Lammy

Visit site
The boys seem calmer this morning which is good news.
We can bury her and we’ve found a perfect sport for her, we’re nowhere near a water course and we’ve looked at our councils list of requirements and can meet them easily.

Farmer can pick her up and move her (which I won’t be there for as I know it has to be practical and isn’t exactly delicate.) But I’m just trying to sort a digger man to come and it’s so distressing having to tell people what’s happened for them not be able to help (vets) or that it’s too small a job? I feel like I’m not getting anywhere for her and I just want her laid to rest ☹️

tiggipop

Visit site
The boys seem calmer this morning which is good news.
We can bury her and we’ve found a perfect sport for her, we’re nowhere near a water course and we’ve looked at our councils list of requirements and can meet them easily.

Farmer can pick her up and move her (which I won’t be there for as I know it has to be practical and isn’t exactly delicate.) But I’m just trying to sort a digger man to come and it’s so distressing having to tell people what’s happened for them not be able to help (vets) or that it’s too small a job? I feel like I’m not getting anywhere for her and I just want her laid to rest ☹️

it is my local farmer that digs the graves for mine... maybe if you ask him he will know someone local with a digger and he may even call them for you

sending you more hugs at this horrible time

x x

Fransurrey

Visit site
What a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry. I found my shetland dead in the field ten years ago. I left him with my younger pony overnight so that he could understand better. He did settle once the body was gone, so hopefully your youngster will, too. Hugs.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Whilst a shock and awful event , take comfort from the fact she was at home with you and her companion and was active to the end. Watching an ill horse die is excruciating and I’m glad you and she was spared that. Have a hug.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
It’s really hard for me to put this into words but my beautiful, sassy, amazing mare was found dead in the field late this morning.

I don’t understand she was just shy of her 21st birthday and feeling great. We had a fast hack on Thursday and she even snuck in a cheeky canter.

I just feel lost now. She was the best mare and I’ll never have another like her. I know it’s still raw but I’m so devastated a thought we had years left together. I’m going to go and sit with her in the field and figure out what I want to do any suggestions will be appreciated but I know I don’t want the hunt to come and take her she deserves more than that.

Bye my beautiful princess, hopefully I’ll see you again.
View attachment 30861View attachment 30862View attachment 30863View attachment 30864
What a tragic way to find your beloved mare, such a pretty girl. I am with you with the *hunt* would never let them take mine. Hard to know what to say in situations like this there are no words. Prob had a heart attack or maybe colic. That doesn't matter you have lots such a good friend and member of the family, and sending vibes to you, and just stay strong, and get your friends and family to help you. You may find some ideas here things i researched when I lost my last horse and donkey and pony https://h0rseservices.weebly.com/in-memoriam--cremation-of-your-horse-or-pony-or-other-pet.html

I opted for cremation and cut some of my hair and tied it to their mane and still have all their caskets as I want them put in the ground when I go so we WILL be together again. I used Giles as I found him respectful and compassionate, https://www.equineandpetservices.co.uk/

Lammy

Visit site
We gave her the best send off we could have. Buried her round the back of the barn and planted a pear tree on top (her favourite). I’m happy that she’ll always be with us and she can spend longer in the place she loved.

1p7bmb.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
She had a loving caring owner and a peaceful painless death. She was one lucky horse.

I hope you won't feel so sad soon.

SEL

Visit site
We gave her the best send off we could have. Buried her round the back of the barn and planted a pear tree on top (her favourite). I’m happy that she’ll always be with us and she can spend longer in the place she loved.

1p7bmb.jpg

That's beautiful xx