RIP Sir Roscoe

woodlandswow

Visit site
Gaby Cooke has just tweeted
RIP Sir Roscoe- you tricky but wonderful horse. He did not deserve what happened today. Big X Roscoe, will miss you everyday

I heard he was pulled up very lame at belton - such a shame for such a charismatic horse who was badminton bound - Tragic
my thoughts are with her x

Last edited:

Kraft

Visit site
How very sad, i was following her weekley diary on Horse and Hound as they were leading up to badminton :-(

RIP Sir Roscoe

jules89

Visit site
ditto, Kraft, very very sad for all involved. Do we know what the injury was?

She sounded like she did such an incredible job on him, I remember them going round Burghley last year and I went and re watched the whole round as I was just so impressed with the partnership. Gutting for them.

RIP you strange and talented horse.

Hedwards

Visit site
So so sad, I had been really enjoying reading Gaby's 'blog' about her preparation for badders. RIP Sir Roscoe, huge condolences for Gaby and anyone else connected to him!

Visit site
So hang on, let me get this straight! A horse goes to an event having been playing up and refusing to jump at home (just skimming her latest blog as I have never heard of Sir Roscoe before) and made to jump round the xc course. The horse lands badly and is very lame. Gets loaded into a horse ambulance and is later humanely destroyed. How long did this process take? A good half hour at the very least I would say. Thoughts going out to all connections of a notoriously tricky horse? Ok now I am going to lay it out plain and simple!

Everyone slags racing off, calling for it to be banned left right and centre when a horse dies. They slag off the racecourses, the jockeys, the size of the fences. They slag off the owners for "being greedy" they slag off the trainers for making the horses run and work so hard at home.

In racing a horse that is clearly injured beyond repair is put down on the track within minutes - MINUTES! Most owners are devestated at the loss of their prized possession. Most trainers are gutted to lose one of their servents. And the stable staff? Those of us who are so cruel as to make these horses fit for the track and put ours hearts and souls into them? We are the ones who are hit the hardest! These horses aren't just our bread and butter but they are our life! Through good times and bad everyone who looks after their horses day in day out, easy rides or tricky sods, we love them with all our hearts but never a word is said in condolance to us. Yes we have to come back in carrying an empty bridle. Yes we have to hold back the tears when we get back amongst the public because we HAVE to. Not because we want to or that we don't care but we have to put on a brave face. We wipe ours tears away coming in from the track, we walk through Joe Blogg public and then in the stable yard we break down.

If that horse was playing up at home would it not be telling the rider that something was wrong? Or that it just plain didn't want to do it? Yet it was made to go out anyway. It was a stepping stone to Badminton. Owners, Trainers and especially stable staff just want their horse to come home in one piece. Preferably in front but always in one piece. When that happens you then look to the future but you never realistically look beyond the next race - beyond is just dreams.

So next time any of you go "Poor event horse! Such a shame! Best wishes to all cerncered!" and yet still call for the banning of racing just think how quickly and professionally we deal with things.

And as a side note to that - how much money from betting revenues et al go into research and veterinary fascilities to help every single horse in the world. Not just our own.

lq22

Visit site
So hang on, let me get this straight! A horse goes to an event having been playing up and refusing to jump at home (just skimming her latest blog as I have never heard of Sir Roscoe before) and made to jump round the xc course. The horse lands badly and is very lame. Gets loaded into a horse ambulance and is later humanely destroyed. How long did this process take? A good half hour at the very least I would say. Thoughts going out to all connections of a notoriously tricky horse? Ok now I am going to lay it out plain and simple!

Everyone slags racing off, calling for it to be banned left right and centre when a horse dies. They slag off the racecourses, the jockeys, the size of the fences. They slag off the owners for "being greedy" they slag off the trainers for making the horses run and work so hard at home.

In racing a horse that is clearly injured beyond repair is put down on the track within minutes - MINUTES! Most owners are devestated at the loss of their prized possession. Most trainers are gutted to lose one of their servents. And the stable staff? Those of us who are so cruel as to make these horses fit for the track and put ours hearts and souls into them? We are the ones who are hit the hardest! These horses aren't just our bread and butter but they are our life! Through good times and bad everyone who looks after their horses day in day out, easy rides or tricky sods, we love them with all our hearts but never a word is said in condolance to us. Yes we have to come back in carrying an empty bridle. Yes we have to hold back the tears when we get back amongst the public because we HAVE to. Not because we want to or that we don't care but we have to put on a brave face. We wipe ours tears away coming in from the track, we walk through Joe Blogg public and then in the stable yard we break down.

If that horse was playing up at home would it not be telling the rider that something was wrong? Or that it just plain didn't want to do it? Yet it was made to go out anyway. It was a stepping stone to Badminton. Owners, Trainers and especially stable staff just want their horse to come home in one piece. Preferably in front but always in one piece. When that happens you then look to the future but you never realistically look beyond the next race - beyond is just dreams.

So next time any of you go "Poor event horse! Such a shame! Best wishes to all cerncered!" and yet still call for the banning of racing just think how quickly and professionally we deal with things.

And as a side note to that - how much money from betting revenues et al go into research and veterinary fascilities to help every single horse in the world. Not just our own.

How enlightening it is to find a person who cares so much about trying to restore the reputation of the racing industry by tarnishing 'everyone' with the same brush. There is excellent veterinary care at all high profile equestrian competitions be it a race or an event. Without any proof how can you make the accusation that everything was not done in the best interests of Sir Roscoe (or any other horse for that matter)? You are being extremely insensitive.

I cannot imagine how devasted Sir Roscoe's owners are just now. I hope he's at peace now.

kerilli

Visit site
EKW, i'm sorry, but is there really any need for that? those of us who love eventing mostly also love racing, we aren't the ones clamouring for it to be stopped... so, you're aiming your vitriol at entirely the wrong set of people.
Re: "In racing a horse that is clearly injured beyond repair is put down on the track within minutes - MINUTES!"
Yes... IF it is 'clearly injured beyond repair'. Sorry for stating the chuffing obvious here, but this isn't always clear. In this case I suspect it wasn't clear at all until further investigation was carried out.
As for the rest, I'm not even going to go there. I am sure the entire team is devastated. I hope they don't read your diatribe.

hcm88

Visit site

I'm sorry but what on earth does this topic have to do with racing? We are expressing condolences to those involved with the tragic death of an event horse, so please don't be so disrespectful. There are often topics on here mourning the deaths and giving condolences about race horses as well, just this is particularly influential on HHO due to Gaby's H&H Badminton blog. I don't see anyone on here complaining about racing (I am not against racing in the slightest and have many links to the sport), so why on earth is it relevant? I am sure that everyone connected to Sir Roscoe is truly upset about what has happened today, and I hope to god that they don't see your post.

rhino

Visit site
I'm sorry but what on earth does this topic have to do with racing?

EKW takes every opportunity to point score, sadly. Racing really could do without proponents such as her.

Agree Kerilli and hcm, let's hope that Roscoe's connections aren't exposed to such vile posts.

Lennyfan

Visit site
Right, nobody, & I mean NOBODY is in eventing for prize money & a profit (unlike racing).
I saw this happen today. The SECOND Sir Roscoe wasn't right, Gaby pulled him up & got off (unlike racing).
He was attended virtually immediately by the vets and was removed from the course to hopefully receive treatment to SAVE HIS LIFE regardless of whether he would event again (unlike racing where if they're no longer going to be profitable they might as well be destroyed).
This rider had a HUGE bond with this horse, has worked with him one on one for years and must be absolutely devasted at the loss of him (I doubt you'd say the same for many jockeys when a horse is lost that they are riding).
The nature of the two sports is very different and it seems completely ridiculous to compare the reaction of people in this circumstance.
My thoughts are with Gaby and her connections & I hope she doesn't have to be subjected to the poisonous things some people write on here.

Visit site
Yes there was a need because every single thread about a racehorse dying gets jumped on by every fluffy bunny hugger in the place! In this thread an event horse has died and yet not one single person has called for eventing to be banned! Where is the justice in that? Yes I am sure all connected with the horse are going through hell but so are the stable staff that lose their pride and joys and all we ever get is a slagging. If even one sole person had posted about banning eventing then I wouldn't have bothered posting but it appears to be ok and very sad that a horse lost it's life doing it's job of jumping big solid jumps but it's clearly inhumane and barbaric for a horse to race.

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Totally agree Lennyfan, I saw her jump off, the horse immediately get vet treatment, and to be fair he was lame but weight bearing as he walked into the horse ambulance, EWK there was no need for that rant gaby obviously thought the world of the horse and from her blog u could tell he loved his job RIP sir roscoe x

kerilli

Visit site
Thistle, I don't see a 'slanging match', just 1 very nasty post. I really hope Gaby and her team are NOT alerted to this thread as it stands, and I am going to button-push and ask for that nasty post to be removed just in case they are.

Lennyfan

Visit site
Yes there was a need because every single thread about a racehorse dying gets jumped on by every fluffy bunny hugger in the place! In this thread an event horse has died and yet not one single person has called for eventing to be banned! Where is the justice in that? Yes I am sure all connected with the horse are going through hell but so are the stable staff that lose their pride and joys and all we ever get is a slagging. If even one sole person had posted about banning eventing then I wouldn't have bothered posting but it appears to be ok and very sad that a horse lost it's life doing it's job of jumping big solid jumps but it's clearly inhumane and barbaric for a horse to race.

Once again, if you're not interested in offering your condolences then GET OFF THIS THREAD! No one is on this thread to debate whether eventing or racing is dangerous & should be banned, we're passing on our best wishes to someone who has had a TRUELY horrible day & if you're not interested in that then DO NOT POST.