RIP Sir Roscoe

Visit site
Right, nobody, & I mean NOBODY is in eventing for prize money & a profit (unlike racing).

PAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Thats the funniest thing I have read all year! You can't make money in racing! Plain and simple! You'd be an idiot to buy a racehorse and expect to gain money from it.

I saw this happen today. The SECOND Sir Roscoe wasn't right, Gaby pulled him up & got off (unlike racing).

Yup, they get pulled up as quickly as they can physically be - not always the easiest thing with half a tonne of muscle pulling against you with a pack of horses around you to get stopped without doing any more damage or endangering other horses behind you.

He was attended virtually immediately by the vets and was removed from the course to hopefully receive treatment to SAVE HIS LIFE regardless of whether he would event again (unlike racing where if they're no longer going to be profitable they might as well be destroyed).

Nonsense. Yes some, not all. Most racehorses are insured and so receive vast amounts of medical care. Most owners are small time who only have one or two horses that they would pay the earth to see alive and well regardless of if they ever race again.

This rider had a HUGE bond with this horse, has worked with him one on one for years and must be absolutely devasted at the loss of him (I doubt you'd say the same for many jockeys when a horse is lost that they are riding)

If you think jockeys aren't affected then your wrong. But there is much, much more to training a racehorse than just the jockey. The trainer who has tailored their regimes for each individual horse, the lad or lass who rode it in it's work every single day, the lad or lass who cared for it in it's box every single day. They don't get treated like objects you know. They get loved and treated like the royalty that they are..

The nature of the two sports is very different and it seems completely ridiculous to compare the reaction of people in this circumstance.

My thoughts are with Gaby and her connections & I hope she doesn't have to be subjected to the poisonous things some people write on here.

My other point about the horse being reluctant at home seems to have been missed - it does generally suggest that there is something wrong and it's their eay of telling you that information.

Visit site
Once again, if you're not interested in offering your condolences then GET OFF THIS THREAD! No one is on this thread to debate whether eventing or racing is dangerous & should be banned, we're passing on our best wishes to someone who has had a TRUELY horrible day & if you're not interested in that then DO NOT POST.

Am I allowed to say just the same to all the fluffy bunny huggers who jump on racing when all people want to do is pay their respects? Please say yes! I could have a field day then!

amage

Visit site
I'm with EKW on this one...I'm bloody sick of racing getting slated left, right and centre on this and several other forums and the double standards suck. Suddenly your own sport is underfire and you feel the heat that we feel constantly. And Lennyfan do you think pro eventers are doing it for the craic...no they are making a living so please explain to me just how it is that eventers can lose a horse and be heart broken but racing people lose a horse and apparently we are hard heart money theiving gits who don't care about our animals. No other equestrian sport puts the level of research funding back into vet care that racing does. The double standards on HHO have no problem allowing an RIP to a racehorse thread become a slanging match....yet everyone is so keen to jump on the band wagon and "rescue" a poor mistreated ex racehorse. There is more damage done to these horses in their new homes than anything that ever occured in racing. I really do feel for the person and her horse that was lost...though reading her blog post and discussion about lack of control, bad schooling sessions and the horse having "blown his nuts" one has to ask was he ready?

Lennyfan

Visit site
Am I allowed to say just the same to all the fluffy bunny huggers who jump on racing when all people want to do is pay their respects? Please say yes! I could have a field day then!

Once again, did anyone on this thread mention anything about racing before your tirade? Once again, no one on this thread has any interest in the it's dangerous & should be banned argument . Once again, we're offering our condolences to a fellow competitor who has had an utterly awful day to try & somehow ease the grief she must be feeling, not likely but sometimes you feel you'd like to try. If you don't care, we don't care but take it elsewhere because this has nothing to do with your opinion.

christine48

Visit site
I hope this thread gets removed ASAP before anyone involved with Sir Roscoe sees the insensitive and un called for comments by one person. Unbelievable how anyone involved with horses could come out with such comments.
My thoughts are with all those involved with Sir Roscoe. RIP.

Visit site
Once again, did anyone on this thread mention anything about racing before your tirade? Once again, no one on this thread has any interest in the it's dangerous & should be banned argument . Once again, we're offering our condolences to a fellow competitor who has had an utterly awful day to try & somehow ease the grief she must be feeling, not likely but sometimes you feel you'd like to try. If you don't care, we don't care but take it elsewhere because this has nothing to do with your opinion.

Your missing my point entirely! Random fluffy bunny huggers jump on the racing threads. Why can't a random jump on an eventing thread? Or a dressage thread? Or a show jumping thread? Or an endurance thread? Do we all have to be completely exclusive and only speak to our own?

Visit site
. i don't feel that this is the place for these unfeeling comments. :( :( :(

Neither were the threads for the demise of the horses who lost their life at Meydan, Cheltenham, Aintree and every other race meeting. Yet the sport has been ripped to shreds.

I have not layed into eventing. I have not layed into people that event themselves. I am having a rant at the plain and simple double standards of this forum.

amage

Visit site
please will others also msg TFC to ask for this thread to be edited or removed, perhaps if a few of us ask it may be. i don't feel that this is the place for these unfeeling comments. :( :( :(

The owners of the horses sadly killed at Cheltenham were subjected to pages of vitriol...I know of one who was utterly horrified to think people felt they thought so little of their horses. They were and still are absolutely gutted. I posted last year about sadly losing one of ours in a freak accident in the yard....he basically tripped over his own legs and broke one. I got venomous messages from someone who has responded to this thread about how cruel and horrible racing is and that i should be ashamed of killing the horses in my care. The fact that horse was standing in the yard and not even doing any work was incidental in their eyes. Asking for this thread to be closed defeats the idea of free speech. We are all entitled to our opinions. My comments are not unfeeling just my opinions. Like I said I really feel for everyone involved with the horse

teapot

Visit site
Neither were the threads for the demise of the horses who lost their life at Meydan, Cheltenham, Aintree and every other race meeting. Yet the sport has been ripped to shreds.

I have not layed into eventing. I have not layed into people that event themselves. I am having a rant at the plain and simple double standards of this forum.

The only thread I've seen and commented on about Meydan only said about the horrendous injury to Fox Hunt (and I myself posted about the other two horses being pulled up on 3 legs). There is not ONE post as far as I can recall calling for racing to be banned?!

Maybe, just maybe, the fluffies would be out in force re eventing horses IF the sport was in the public eye a little more and they actually knew what had happened. Do a straw poll of New Lounge readers and see how many people were even aware that Belton was on today, or at what level, or indeed what happened? Polo has its fair share of hideous injuries but because it's a not publicly followed sport, it goes unnoticed on forums like this. Majority of posters on this thread alone are eventers themselves or die hard fans (I count myself as the latter) who also all probably support and follow racing.

Racing gets the (bad press) attention it does because it's in the back pages of every newspaper going. Eventing, polo, show jumping, hunting are not and that's the difference and most likely the reason why for the so called 'double standards'.

Now why don't you think about how Gaby Cooke's feeling this evening and keep your thoughts for another time and place? RIP Sir Roscoe :(

Last edited:

flyonthewall

Visit site
Right, nobody, & I mean NOBODY is in eventing for prize money & a profit (unlike racing).
I saw this happen today. The SECOND Sir Roscoe wasn't right, Gaby pulled him up & got off (unlike racing).
He was attended virtually immediately by the vets and was removed from the course to hopefully receive treatment to SAVE HIS LIFE regardless of whether he would event again (unlike racing where if they're no longer going to be profitable they might as well be destroyed).
This rider had a HUGE bond with this horse, has worked with him one on one for years and must be absolutely devasted at the loss of him (I doubt you'd say the same for many jockeys when a horse is lost that they are riding).
The nature of the two sports is very different and it seems completely ridiculous to compare the reaction of people in this circumstance.
My thoughts are with Gaby and her connections & I hope she doesn't have to be subjected to the poisonous things some people write on here.

Perfectly put. RIP Sir Roscoe - thoughts are with Gaby now and in the future. He will be imprinted on her forever.

georgiegirl

Visit site
EKW - This is not the time or the place to be having this discussion so I suggest if eventing/racing safety etc is what you want to discuss then go off and do it on another thread!!!!

FWIW There are plenty racehorses that are not put down 'on the spot' so to speak so why your having a go at this case I dont understand?! You werent there, you dont know the extent of the injury or any other circumstances and until you do keep your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself!

Nobody even mentioned racing before you jumped on board and to be honest it seems as if your just looking for an argument?? If you want an argument over wether eventing OR racing should be banned go post it in New Lounge Im sure you'll have plenty people in there willing to have a banter with you on the subject.

I am another who will be reporting your post. Its completely off topic to what we are discussing.

Its terrible in ANY equestrian sport having to come home with an empty horsebox. My thoughts go out to the rider, owner and all his other connections and I sincerely hope they dont see this thread for their sakes.

TwoPair

Visit site
I am a friend of Gabys. I travelled with her, and Roscoe, and my horse, to Tweseldown. She is a 21 year old young lady who has just lost her pride and joy. Roscoe was a quirky character who had come from the continent and I can assure you that Gaby has progressed that horse in so many ways other than up the grades. I hope to god she doesn't see this.

Visit site
EKW - This is not the time or the place to be having this discussion so I suggest if eventing/racing safety etc is what you want to discuss then go off and do it on another thread!!!!
QUOTE]

FOR THE LAST TIME I AM NOT HAVING A GO AT EVENTING OR THE SAFETY OF THE SPORT!!!!!!!

Jeez! Do you people not actually read what is written?!?! I am merely pointing out that people clearly have a go at racing because it is so open and available to the public and yet no one ever has a go at eventing when a horse dies - double standards. If you want me to have a go at evetning then I will but it won't be on this thread because I really am not that insensitive - believe it or not! Most of the people who have been having a go at racing have never been to a race meeting in their life and thus have no clue of how things work there. Why should they be allowed to fling insults about every aspect of the sport left right and centre? Why is that acceptable? Yet when eventing is called to account you all clammer around in your little clique, shut out the big world outside and won't hear a word said against it. Where is the justice in that? That is all I have been asking all along!

kerilli

Visit site
there are some really nasty people about. :( :( :(
i hope to god this gets edited before anyone tells his connections about it.

EKW, yes, you ARE that insensitive actually. maybe you should re-read some of what you have said. by all means please do start a new thread about the double standards between racing and eventing, or polo, or whatever else, but please do not put more downright nasty stuff on this thread, or attempt to claim that you weren't being insensitive. your comments were specific and cruel.

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
QUOTE]

FOR THE LAST TIME I AM NOT HAVING A GO AT EVENTING OR THE SAFETY OF THE SPORT!!!!!!!

Jeez! Do you people not actually read what is written?!?! I am merely pointing out that people clearly have a go at racing because it is so open and available to the public and yet no one ever has a go at eventing when a horse dies - double standards. If you want me to have a go at evetning then I will but it won't be on this thread because I really am not that insensitive - believe it or not! Most of the people who have been having a go at racing have never been to a race meeting in their life and thus have no clue of how things work there. Why should they be allowed to fling insults about every aspect of the sport left right and centre? Why is that acceptable? Yet when eventing is called to account you all clammer around in your little clique, shut out the big world outside and won't hear a word said against it. Where is the justice in that? That is all I have been asking all along!

I have never seen a thread in CR slating racing!!! Its just not the time or the place for this type of post!

Visit site
there are some really nasty people about. :( :( :(
i hope to god this gets edited before anyone tells his connections about it.

EKW, yes, you ARE that insensitive actually. maybe you should re-read some of what you have said. by all means please do start a new thread about the double standards between racing and eventing, or polo, or whatever else, but please do not put more downright nasty stuff on this thread, or attempt to claim that you weren't being insensitive. your comments were specific and cruel.

Please enlighten me as to what was insensitive, specific and cruel? And to whom they were aimed at?

rhino

Visit site
This isn't a post about eventing. This isn't a post about eventing safety. It's a post to pay respects to a talented horse who died today, and to spare a thought for his distraught young owner.

It is a specific thread about a specific horse.

There are plenty of threads about eventing safety, at least 2 current ones about unfixed portables. The vast majority of eventers want to do everything within their power to prevent accidents, something which the more traditionalist racing fraternity seem not to want to do, why change the status quo and all that? :rolleyes: This is not the place though, is it?

georgiegirl

Visit site
And do you not read what is written either??? I never said you were having a go at eventing??

My point is you keep going on about double standards when no one has even brought racing up in this thread at all??

There have been plenty of times eventing has been brought under the spotlight regards horse welfare eg amy tryon for one so why on earth you feel you have to come on here and add your completely irrelevant point about racing I do not know??
Like I said in my previous reply you were very quick to jump on the gun saying the horse wasn't put down instantly.... Well I'm pretty damn sure that will happen an awful lot in racing too. Hell, a lot of them are put down simply because they are not quick enough!!

I'm not having a go at the racing industry here I am merely pointing out that when you talk of double standards you might want to read what you have said properly because a lot of that is double standards!

Seriously this is not the time or the place for this load of revolting rubbish and I hope this thread gets pulled quickly.

Puppy

Visit site
****! :( I was there today and had absolutely no idea that Sir Roscoe had been injured, let alone pts :( How absolutely tragic. Rest in peace boy. My condolences to all connections. xx

Goldenstar

Visit site
EKW you are bang out of order this thread is not the place to discuss this issue start yourself a thread on it .
That poor girl and all her team have lost that lovely horse something you have clearly experianced why on earth would you post that undignatified rant .
Cool down and go to bed.

diggerbez

Visit site
oh no what a sad day for Gaby and the horse's connections :( i was enjoying her badminton blog... :( just goes to show how fragile horses are doesn't it....
:(:(

i am another that shall be button pushing. some of the posts on here are disgusting. i'm all for a debate about safety and everyone should be allowed opinions...but there is an appropriate time and place and THIS IS NOT IT! :mad:

Visit site
Why is not the time and place on an eventing thread but it is on a racing thread? I have not called the safety of eventing into question, I have not had a go at specific individuals, I simply wanted to know why it is ok for racing to be ripped to shreds when a horse dies at a high profile meeting yet no one even thinks twice about doing it to eventing.

SpottedCat

Visit site
The point is surely that you hate it being done on racing threads and yet here you are doing much the same thing to another sport. It makes you as bad as those doing it to your sport, and is twice as disrespectful and nasty because you know how hurtful it is and are only doing it to make a point. Very low indeed.

RIP Sir Roscoe, and condolences to Gaby, who didn't deserve this on top of losing her horse.

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
Can't quote as I'm on my phone. 'No one thinks twice about it for eventing' - I have to tell you, you are somewhat mistaken. Every single time I leave the start box it crosses my mind that either my horse or I may not come back in one piece. However the safety of my horse is THE most important thing to me, as it is to everyone else involved in horse sports of whatever discipline I'm sure. I think it is extremely sad that one individual has felt the need to take this thread in an entirely unnecessary direction.
This morning I have had a good friend of Gabys ring me in tears because they had seen this last night. All I can say is how obvious it was that Roscoe meant the world to Gaby, what happened to him could have happened in the field.
My thoughts and prayers are with Gaby and Roscoe x