Robinsons - what a joke

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Yesterday I fell off my horse, obviously I hit my head, I always blimmin well do!

So looked online for a new hat. I want the same hat, know it fits!! well they had it on the Robinsons website for £59, bargain I thought, but guess what, the size 57 was magically not there, not out of stock, just not there! That's okay, I live in Basingstoke, so I popped in today! they have one size 57, but it had pink on it, not my cup of tea but it will do, I thought!

until I saw on the box £67.99 (double checked online, same hat, same standard) no difference whatsoever! so why is more expensive in store?!? spoke to the girl on the till and she said they charge at least £4.99 more in the store because that's what you'd pay for delivery if you order on line!! WTF!!

well this was more than £4.99 more, so she said they could price match the online price, PLUS £4.99!! are you actually flipping kidding me!! I've driven there to avoid having to pay postage, if there is anything I hate in life, paying postage is it!!

I was so gob smacked at the sheer cheek of it that I've left the shop and vowed not to go there again, unless there is no other option!! I would rather pay £10 more for my hat at another retailer than give them £4.99 for delivery that they aren't even blimmin making!!

I know I'm being OTT but I've never known a company behave in such away before!! honestly astounded!!

Shay

Visit site
They were always a bit odd - but have gone downhill since being taken over by Sports Direct. I'd google your hat and find another retailer to be honest!

tashcat

Visit site
I had the exact same experience at that very store OP!

I was looking for a breastplate - they said the same thing and it made me furious! I left and bought a lovely breastplate at a local tack shop, smug that I had supported a local company and that Robinsons had one less purchase!!

They also had a few breastplates that were identical (including the same size) each at a different price!!

They've just gone downhill and downhill, and I now refuse to buy from them.

Kat

Visit site
They are owned by sports direct what do you expect? I couldn't buy from them on principle.

If you don't have a good independent near you try decathlon they have a PAS015 hat for about £50

rhylis

Visit site
I'm so glad to have seen this. I'm was planning to go to Robinsons (Basingstoke) to get my daughter a new hat. I was planning on going there with the idea that they'd have knowledgeable staff on hand and a good range. It's not sounding like such a good idea now! Any recommendations for an alternative shop?

VRIN

Visit site
I had a similar experience from a retailer in Preston. I was looking online for a rug and noticed that the local retailer who also has an online presence had it advertised (slightly more than other online retailers) so I decided to support my local shop. Only to discover in store it was more expensive!! The justification being that it cost money to have a shop and online they had to be more competitive! They explained that people would come into their shop try things on and then buy online ... totally missing the point that I had looked online and had actually come in to the shop to buy the item!! I didn't expect to have to pay a charge for the 'privilege'! Needless to say I have not supported them since!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I'm so glad to have seen this. I'm was planning to go to Robinsons (Basingstoke) to get my daughter a new hat. I was planning on going there with the idea that they'd have knowledgeable staff on hand and a good range. It's not sounding like such a good idea now! Any recommendations for an alternative shop?

I would really save yourself the trip. Shame as I used to love this shop. Go to eileen douglas in wokingham (not the eversley one - its a bit small).
:)

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Lévrier;13613253 said:
I'm just astonished anyone buys from Robinsons any more - they have been rubbish for years!

Please forgive me, maybe I have concussion or something, hehe!

I only went there because they had the best price online, and didn't want to wait over a week for one to be delivered!
Will be hoping that Mole Valley has my size in stock tomorrow!

Dubsie

Visit site

Millwheel at Moss End Garden Centre Maidenhead Rd, Warfield RG42 6EJ. Have a good range and are very good at fitting. Aside from an excellent tack shop (including a good amount of 2nd hand goodies) the garden centre is worth a browse, there's a farm shop/butchers, a really good cafe there, and an assortment of independent shops within the place.

First Flame

Visit site
I had exactly this in the Basingstoke shop yesterday too for some flexi stirrup irons. £21 on the website and £37.99 in the store!!!! I did pay the £4.99 delivery charge in the store as the online price was the cheapest price even with delivery for this item that I could find anywhere and I would have had to walk away and order them myself and wait for them to arrive but was shocked that they charged this when the item is in the store!! Utterly ridiculous! Just glad I'd seen the online price before going to the store in the first place. I also agree Eileen Douglas is the best place, so wish Robinsons had never come to Basingstoke then we might still have had Old Basing Saddlery (Eileen Douglas) which was waaaaay better than robinsons even though it was tiny!

Widgeon

Visit site
Third vote for Eileen Douglas- I grew up around there and even my (totally un-horsey) mum liked that shop. A trip there would be a highlight of my month!

Edited to say, they also seem to do free delivery over £50. And let's face it, most vital horsey purchases like hats are over £50 anyway.....(winces)

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I had exactly this in the Basingstoke shop yesterday too for some flexi stirrup irons. £21 on the website and £37.99 in the store!!!! I did pay the £4.99 delivery charge in the store as the online price was the cheapest price even with delivery for this item that I could find anywhere and I would have had to walk away and order them myself and wait for them to arrive but was shocked that they charged this when the item is in the store!! Utterly ridiculous! Just glad I'd seen the online price before going to the store in the first place. I also agree Eileen Douglas is the best place, so wish Robinsons had never come to Basingstoke then we might still have had Old Basing Saddlery (Eileen Douglas) which was waaaaay better than robinsons even though it was tiny!

I miss old basing saddlery, they used to sell good quality tack!! I bought a bridle in there 16 years ago, for my old girl and its still going strong now!! damn Robinsons and their cheap rubbish that doesn't last 5 mins!!

Tishka

New User
Visit site
I recently had to purchase a new hat, and went to Robinsons in Basingstoke to have a look at their stock, as I had seen online that they had quite a few in the sale within my price range. Had a reasonable budget, nothing too expensive as I was only doing general riding at the moment and not attending shows. Knew what size I wanted as I had measured my head and also looked at the two I had, not up to regulations and also a few years old. I was simply astounded to find that when I went to try them on, was informed that certain ones they would not guarantee as they did not fit them themselves, constantly trying to push me to purchase the more expensive, outside my budget one. I find their whole attitude was if I didn't purchase the expensive one, they would not guarantee the fit on the one I liked. Cost was still in the £60 - £80 pound range. The service was appalling. Will not be purchasing my new hat from them, will be going elsewhere.

Wheels

Visit site
This is the same with a few shops - my local large retailer charges at least £5 extra in store for every item, saddles are about £50 more in store than online!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Hmm hard one, we all know an online store has lower overheards than one who have a proper physical store to run (with employees, the building etc.) so online prices are usually cheaper. But in this case, where they obviously have the stock for both sitting around, it does sound wrong. Just let them know with your feet, only way. I used to buy online from Robinsons but only cheap stuff, havent bought from them in years though as Ive found better online retailers (Im nowhere near their stores).