Rolf Harris channel 5 8pm horse with colic

Liesel

Visit site
So the owner has lost two horses to colic and a tapeworm has just been found in this horses intestines. I see a pattern forming here. Poor horses.

Wow what an assumption you make without knowing the full details!

Ive just managed to prevent the Hubby putting on the football to watch this amazing insight to colic surgery. What a great job the surgeon did in what looked like a serious impaction.

Amigo

www.aewfineart.co.uk
I don't think you can judge that quicky re worms and her other two horses as we dont know the full story, but there may be a connection somewhere.

Meanwhile, remind me never to get on the wrong side of an alpaca!!! :-O

Achinghips

Visit site
Well this is a lesson in worming - had no idea tapeworms cause colic. My boy has the mite injection, which covers everything but redworms. Wonder if redworms cause colic too?

Mince Pie

Visit site
:eek: to that alpaca!! Did anyone else laugh at the poor woman covered in alpaca pooey spit? :eek:

Very interesting to watch the colic surgery and a good reminder as to why worming is important!

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
If there's a large worm infestation they can indeed cause colic by 'clumping' together' and causing a blockage. So important to worm horses and some people don't understand why :(
K x

MochaDun

Visit site
Good series, will be tuning in next week to see if that foal gets born. Was tonight's the first one in the series?

SO1

Visit site
I think you also have to be careful which wormer you use when worming a horse which might have a heavy worm burden as if all the worms die at once and if there are loads of them that can cause colic too.

If there's a large worm infestation they can indeed cause colic by 'clumping' together' and causing a blockage. So important to worm horses and some people don't understand why :(
K x

It is a good program though and lovely how much all the vets seem to like all the animals they come across as being very caring.

KrujaaLass

Visit site
If anyone can go back and watch the alpaca scene if you listen carefully it says 'leave me alone'. Please someone tell me I'm not going mad.

Visit site
Rolf not being hands on this time though !

ALso, I have had two horses die from colic and I have always been very careful about worming

Last edited:

noodle_

Visit site
The vets (colic) ones were brilliant!

Seemed totally calm and "just deal with it"

the alpaca omfg......... :D i want one....they are evil and brilliant haha

but the dog..........i felt sick........ to me thats cruelty having a dog that fat. :(

FionaM12

Visit site
but the dog..........i felt sick........ to me thats cruelty having a dog that fat. :(

Shocking isn't it? After all it's up to us what our dogs eat. I have a staffie cross, very similar body shape to the one that poor bull terrier should have. If I let him, Bobby would eat everything in sight until he got that obese. So he has a very controlled diet. It's not rocket science.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I always wonder how the vets stuff all the intestines back inside the horse. Is it scientific, or do they give them a stir and hope they sort themselves out? Any vets to ask?

Nasty Alpaca! Poor dog.

starryeyed

Visit site
I recorded this as I wasn't able to catch it live - however did not realise episode 1 was about a horse with colic - was it a happy ending? After recently losing my boy to colic I'm not sure I could handle another sad outcome so may have to skip over it!

adamntitch

Visit site
horse lived am sure and it was an interesting program but would not say alpacas spit poo its stomuch (sp) contents so half digested grass not poo (my friend keeps and breed them )

shocking about the dog tho that is just crul to let it get as big as that

Mince Pie

Visit site
horse lived am sure and it was an interesting program but would not say alpacas spit poo its stomuch (sp) contents so half digested grass not poo (my friend keeps and breed them )

shocking about the dog tho that is just crul to let it get as big as that
However it does say that the more upset they get the further down the intestines the spit comes from so at what point does it stop being spit and start being poo?

Orangehorse

Visit site
It would have to be a very, very, very long way down to get poo! Stomach contents would be extremely nasty though, think vomit.

Partridg3

Visit site
That useless woman who owned that poor dog wants a slap. She actually went on about the dog raiding a bag of dog food belonging to her other dog (what?!!) and it still didn't stop her eating her own food after apparently!!! Who has a dog like that and leaves access to steal food and then feeds it after? If she had a child that'd be fat too I suspect.