RORs - just thinking out loud

HeyMich

Visit site
Very exciting!!! Enjoy!

He's always been chilled out, so much so he was bought to be a nanny out hacking to the youngsters.

I did find a version 2 of him for my friends 14 year old daughter who was coming off a 14.2 this summer so they are out there!

Do you fancy looking for version 3? I'd pay you in jelly babies and everlasting love...

Antw23uk

Visit site
I have a two year old ex flat racer at home, he arrived two weeks ago and is very helpful, he was helping me with fencing at the weekend. I've recently found the tool bit for the hand drill to do the electric fencing insulators (what a game changer) and he was being so 'helpful' i put the drill in front of his face and turned it on ... he put his nose on it and seemed to enjoy the vibration, lol!

I think he'll be fine to clip in a couple of years when he's grown up :)

Spanny

Visit site
Yes, I think we might. Exciting!!

Was your chap always so laid back or did he chill out as he got older? Is he for sale? (Joking, maybe)

On temperaments, I have known one mare who changed completely when she moved yards. For whatever reason she was very unhappy on the first yard but when she moved on to a new home with a new job apparently she settled massively. That said, I've known more who have been pretty consistent temperament wise. Which is a slightly longwinded way of saying that I would look for one with the right temperament up front - if it's sharp I'd expect it to stay that way.

Best of luck with your search. I went from ponies on to an older ex-racer. I definitely had the odd wobble but with the right support around I got up to speed pretty quickly and had lots of happy years with her.

honetpot

Visit site
If he is old enough, and you are close enough, could he start riding out for a trainer. Someone I know was a very small teenager, she showed B's, and Connies, she rode out for a trainer, she now works travelling horses and does ROR. Knowing trainers, and owners is a good way to find one, and also find if he can cope with the TB mind.

Squeak

Visit site
Do you fancy looking for version 3? I'd pay you in jelly babies and everlasting love...

Hmmm I'm more of a chocolate fan if I'm honest but I will accept any form of bribery. Sadly I don't know any personally that are going at the moment but I will go have a look at ads. Any excuse to window shop!!

Squeak

Visit site
Unfortunately it's completely the wrong sort of area and I don't know the dealer but this one sounds the sort of temperament I'd be going for (ideally it would be a bit older and with a bit more experience though...)

1636994716152.png

HeyMich

Visit site
If he is old enough, and you are close enough, could he start riding out for a trainer. Someone I know was a very small teenager, she showed B's, and Connies, she rode out for a trainer, she now works travelling horses and does ROR. Knowing trainers, and owners is a good way to find one, and also find if he can cope with the TB mind.

OMG he would totally love that! The nearest trainers to us are in Fife or the Boarders (I think) so well over an hour away. I dare not mention it to be honest...

The.Dr

Visit site
My friend has recently bought a 10yo ex sprinter (last raced 2017) who's grand sire is Royal Applause and he is an absolute dream. Hacks, schools, jumps,hunts, cross countries all chilled and polite. Ask him to go up a gear and he will and my god can he shift (obviously) he's only quirk is clipping.

HeyMich

Visit site

Roadtrip booked for this afternoon straight after school. Eeekkk!!! Unfortunately, it means we'll be there in the dark, but it's just a first look-see anyway. Exciting!

Numpty questions - anything specific I should be looking for in a recently retired OTTB compared to a 'normal' horse? I'll palpate the spine, check lower legs thoroughly etc. Obviously we'd be getting a 5 stage vetting and probably xrays/scans too, if we get that far. I'm happy with viewing a 'normal' horse for sale, but just thinking of any specific quirks that I may not have my eye in for...

And reading the other thread about going to viewings alone, I'm just going with my son, no instructor/pro this time. I fugured that today is just a fact finding mission, as we may both decide that the whole OTTB thing isn't for us... I guess I could ask an instructor/pro to come back with us to a second viewing?? Today will be by floodlights anyway, so surely it's acceptable to ask to come back in daylight and maybe go out for a hack... (I've done that with all other horses/ponies we've bought and loaned!) Sorry, just rambing now. Nerves have kicked in!

Peglo

Visit site
Best of luck with your viewing. No advice, sorry, but if nothing else I hope you have fun! Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

humblepie

Visit site
Good luck - my viewing of current one consisted of seeing him in the stable - the moment I saw him looking over the door, it was gosh he is gorgeous, then he stood in the stable really quietly whilst trainer went off to get a hoof pick to do his feet, had a couple of polos and member of staff led him out at walk, rear and into trot! He was race fit. That said, someone I know as a really good judge of a horse had already looked at him and got me the viewing. So not sure any of that counts as not really a viewing. Hope it all goes well and look forward to hearing more.

humblepie

Visit site
Yeah, I have the racing name and a screenshot summary of the record (thanks Elf!), I'll maybe look it up again to view the timeline. Brilliant tip, thanks x
You can also go on the BHA website and look at stewards reports. If you put the horse's name in you can find any raceday reports about him or her - not that it means much once they are out of racing but it is interesting.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Some Racehorses trainer do start their horses with the idea that they may fail at racing or for when they retire they would be suitable as good riding horses, so have the basics from the start.

I think you need to look for possible back problems which seem unfortunately to be quite common with ex racers.

Your son is quite tall, which is good, but he will need a lot of support from trainers. The difficulty with transitioning from pony to horse is that the pony has been looking after the partnership and when you get on a young horse, they are the ones needing the support and guidance from the rider.

Hopelessly horsey

Visit site
Good luck with the viewing! My OTTB was so level headed and an absolute dream to deal with (bar his cribbing at tea time!)
When viewing I'd pay attention to the SI and lumbar area....hind suspensory issues are unfortunately common in the ex racers ...and soreness in the above areas can be indicators to early niggles.