Round bale feeder: tombstone, haybell, or....?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Thinking ahead to next winter (groan...)

This winter I was barrowing out chunks of round bale to the field horses, battling with the flipping bales, mess everywhere, wind blowing the hay back in my face as fast as I could deliver it... what fun.

Decided next winter that a feeder is required, we have enough hay and kit to move them without any drama so I'm looking to invest in something to keep it fairly tidy but also be safe.

Anyone solved this satisfactorily? I'm Ok with a bit of wastage and accept that it's going to get muddy wherever the feeder is - we can deal with that.
I'm interested in ease and safety. I have one that will climb into things so it needs to be tall enough to stop her and also generally safe for silly horses.

I have a handy OH who can doctor metal things (welding etc ) if necessary.

tda

Visit site
I have two, I think mine are called sheep feeders, put round bales in, one is on a base of mud control mats, other is on hardstanding. They eat over the top, sometimes from the sides, never seen anyone climb inside ? I also net the bale to slow eating down.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have a sheep ring feeder and have cable tied strong metal mesh over the bars on the sides that sheep put their heads through. The horses are plenty tall enough to reach all the scraps from the top and the mesh stops them putting their legs through the bars.

milliepops

Visit site
thanks both, one of mine climbed into those big pallet boxes so I am a bit sceptical about sheep things but will def look into it.

indie1282

Visit site
Is it your own land? Can you put down some hard standing so you can put the bale on it to save on mud?

I have had round bales previously and used pallets to make a 'holder' you can cable tie or use rope to keep together.

A round cattle feeder isn't very expensive and I would probably go for that option. It will be strong and weatherproof and fairly easy to move if you have a couple of people to help.

milliepops

Visit site
yeah I can mudproof a bit but we can also move it around easily as have tractors etc.
I am just put off cattle feeders having read about accidents with them :/ hence wondering about a tombstone feeder instead.

LiquidMetal

Visit site
I think you can find horror stories with any kind of feeder.

I have a round cattle feeder and use a net. Got the net as Christmas gift from my husband and I bet we’ve already made our money back on hay savings. There is literally no waste. Also keeps the horses from being able to stuff their head down into bale and breathe a lot of dust in.

GinaGeo

Visit site
I have a haybell. Used it for two years now. Get very little wastage. And none of the accident prone buggers have managed to injure themselves with it. They aren’t cheap, but it has been brilliant.

I also put a trickle net over the bale inside it to slow the greedy buggers down a bit, which works well.

Attachments

• 3105D8DC-BFBE-45E3-BA7F-A9FD3B960426.jpeg
    3105D8DC-BFBE-45E3-BA7F-A9FD3B960426.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 42

milliepops

Visit site
thanks all :) I'm resigned to it being expensive but it if works then that's what matters. In the grand scheme of things it's not a massive outlay. The covered ones are definitely of interest and it's good to hear first hand feedback re the haybell because it seemed similar to the hay hutches that some people have really rated.

tristar

Visit site
i have a hardcore yard best thing ever, and would suggest this as a priority, a largish area of hardcore, with access path , dig out a bit, big stone then top with smaller stone and roll, really simple, would make it massively easier to access, done now so it settles before winter

i use all sorts of containers nets etc but never anything metal

milliepops

Visit site
it's a rented (very long term) field so can't really make substantial changes to it like hardcore, we have done a bit with the driveway and gate which was fine but I don't think we could get away with much more. fortunately we can fix the ground if it gets poached etc, that's not an issue, it's well maintained anyway for a hay crop each year.

indie1282

Visit site
thanks all :) I'm resigned to it being expensive but it if works then that's what matters. In the grand scheme of things it's not a massive outlay. The covered ones are definitely of interest and it's good to hear first hand feedback re the haybell because it seemed similar to the hay hutches that some people have really rated.

Taking hay out daily to the field is one of the worst jobs imo! Driving rain? No problem. Snow/cold? No problem. Strong wind? ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Luckily the yard I am at has such good grazing I have only had to hay around Christmas time and stopped at the end of March. I can put it by the big hedge and it generally stays put.

milliepops

Visit site
I was ready to turn the horses loose into the forest this winter just to avoid it! Absolutely had enough of wearing all of their hay :p all down my neck, splinters in my eyes, itching, ARGH.

GinaGeo

Visit site
I have a Big hay hutch too. The hay in the middle doesn’t fall to the holes and is a little flawed. I ended up putting the hay around a bin to keep it out. If feeding big round bales then absolutely go for the Hay Bell. They’re not cheap. But I haven’t had to stuff eight haynets a day for two years. And only need to worry about haying once a week. Means I actually get time to ride in winter!