RSPCA putting down dogs with rescue places to go to...

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I'm not the RSPCAs biggest fan, but they didn't breed these dogs that have landed in their laps. This country is filled to saturation point with Staffies and bully types needing new homes and any anger should be directed at the idiots who keep on breeding them. Supply is outweighing demand, better a peaceful death than a lifetime in a kennel without a master.

Oneofthepack

Visit site
I have seen my Auntie beat a retired and lame horse over a near on 5ft jump until it collapsed. I have seen my Auntie punch a horse repeatedly in the stomach with spurs wrapped around her fist. I have seen my auntie saw on a horses mouth until it bled and I have seen my Auntie punch a horse in the face until it no longer looked out of it's stable again!

She works for the RSPCA and regularly takes in their animals!

I do not speak to her. In fact, I detest her! The RSPCA however believe she is knowledgeable and trustworthy enough to represent them! :mad:

If a relative of mine was doing stuff like this I'd go to the ends of the earth to stop them and if all the above is really true then you are as guilty as she is for not doing anything about it!

competitiondiva

Visit site
The girl showing us round had seen the rats herself when in the house,so not rumour as you are saying, you yourself are assuming it is a rumour!
No one can have a large house without a substantial amount of money coming in unless they are born into money, which in this instance was not proved.

The information came to you via a 3rd party person (and one you may not from your comments even know very well) it is therefore rumour/3rd party info.

Regarding the other poster about their aunt, there's alot of accusations there, have you reported it to the rspca, is there any evidence. They may not even be aware!

Oberon

Visit site
The RSPCA picked up my Xara as a stray, rehomed her and after a year, when she was returned, they took her back again.

They kept her safe for four months - and even featured her in the local paper as looking for a home, until I came to the Centre looking for a dog one day.

That was (almost) ten years ago and I give thanks every day to them for giving me the most amazing friend and companion.

nala1

Visit site
The information came to you via a 3rd party person (and one you may not from your comments even know very well) it is therefore rumour/3rd party info.

Regarding the other poster about their aunt, there's alot of accusations there, have you reported it to the rspca, is there any evidence. They may not even be aware!

I'm sure creme is wise enough to know if someone was lying and lets face it why make up such a story in the first place?
So, if you say all this is rumour then so are all the stories on here about the rspca?
That would be an insult to all those who have come forward with things that have happened to them with the rspca involved, I take it you have never had a bad experience with them, well alot of people on here have me included or perhaps mine is a rumour too?

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Ive had 3 experiences with the RSPCA one of the worst was a horse which was born & lived in a field with its mother. As the years went on the mare died and the foal now an old mare was left on her own. The original owners had rented the field from a farmer and then abandoned them. This field was very steep and this horse had terrible confirmation and had never been handled in its life. It was in a shocking condition and its feet were terrible, I and lots of others had reported it to the RSPCA and eventually they came out. They helped the farmer (who had no experience of horses) to herd it back to his yard and shut it in a stable. In the morning it was dead ,surprise surprise and the RSPCA had no idea why it had died.I and lots of other horsey people can think of a million reasons why it died and imo it either died of shock or panicked at being shut up for the first time in its life. The attending RSPCA officer either had no or limited experience of horses and was responsible for this poor horses death.

I am not going to bore you with my other experiences but there are many others on here who have had similar experiences and why we have no time for the RSPCA.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
For many years the RSPCA was run by a committee of volunteers,. These were elected by the members and most were retired business men who had no monetary interest in the charity. They were there to see to the investments and to approve or not of how the money was spent. There were millions in the banks and it was wisely looked after.
As it was then a democratic charity these people served for three years and then retired but could be elected back onto the committee by the members.
Then the radicals took over by becoming members and because of complacency of most members, voted each other onto the committee whereby they changed the rules and awarded themselves large salaries.

They are now way to political, look at how they sent large sums on the anti hunting . They have built new offices at a cost of millions and also a large kennels in Wales which have never been used.

I have written to them on many occasions asking why they have done something like when on TV they had taken in a mare and foal left tethered by travellers. The mare had severe COPD (asthma) and they had her in a small paddock. It was autumn and not cold yet they shut her and the foal in a stable with straw and shut the top door. That was sheer ignorance and when the vet came the next day he never mentioned a word about how it would make her berthing worse. I have yet to have a reply from them over any incident.

Now when you apply to join they will not let you become a member if you support hunting in any form.

SmartieBean09

Visit site
If a relative of mine was doing stuff like this I'd go to the ends of the earth to stop them and if all the above is really true then you are as guilty as she is for not doing anything about it!

Oh rubbish! Where exactly does it state whether or not I have done something about it? You have no idea of what has gone on! What I wrote was simply to show an example of how the RSPCA have let us down.

Please don't preach!

competitiondiva

Visit site
I'm sure creme is wise enough to know if someone was lying and lets face it why make up such a story in the first place?
So, if you say all this is rumour then so are all the stories on here about the rspca?
That would be an insult to all those who have come forward with things that have happened to them with the rspca involved, I take it you have never had a bad experience with them, well alot of people on here have me included or perhaps mine is a rumour too?

Not quite right, if the information given by a poster has been witnessed by/happened to them, it is not 3rd party info or rumour. If the information has been given to them by a 3rd party it becomes less reliable as source of information. Take for example a recent poster on another room posted about a dead pony, they kept going on about how they'd contacted everyone and no one wanted to know and that it had been left etc. when all along the body had actually been disposed of, but they were acting on the information they had been given as opposed to being directly involved. My point was that people (especially when the rspca are involved) seem willing to believe heresay, when the facts might actually be skewed a little.

cbmcts

Visit site
IMHO, the problem with the RSPCA is that they have become too politicised (is that even a word?) and as a result, the HQ policies have moved far away from the actual rescue and care of animals in danger. This is contrary to what the general public actually think they do and why there is such disappointment in their actions or lack of them in response to a complaint. However the organisation is happy to continue to solicit donations knowing that this misinterpretation of their aims is rife. That is what I struggle with tbh. As a political lobby group they would not manage to fund raise anything near the sums that they receive as a charity.

While I know that many of their employees and volunteers truly feel that they are doing 'good' things for animals, the training and guidance they get from HQ is very prescriptive and politically one sided with various agendas taking priority. Ok, that could be said of many organisations but I do think that a national charity with the Royal in front of it's name should be more transparent about it's aims and administration. JMHO.

On the other hand, the local branches are often taken over and run in the most cliquey fashion by those with an awful lot of time and very little knowledge which brings on the problems of "one thing said but another thing done" (as Luci07 discovered) because they are often run as private fiefdoms. Our local branch issues RSPCA id cards to their charity shop volunteers and I have personally experienced having one of those waved in my face with a demand to enter private property to check "cruelty" :rolleyes: Another lady, well known to me for many years now does all their local homechecks for small animals and lets just say that if you want a dog from the RSPCA you'd best hope that you are one of the very few that hasn't upset her for any reason in the last ten years. Conversely, if you are a pal of hers, you can go and pick any dog you fancy from the kennels and return to swop as required. Suitability doesn't come into it.

So, no fan of the RSPCA as an organisation, I'm actually doubtful that they fulfil the requirements to be a charity in a lot of ways and while I have no doubt there are many people under their jurisdiction that do a good job and help many animals I cannot bring myself to use or support them due to their policies. Shame really, as they could be/were such a force for good.

marmalade76

Visit site
I am no fan of the RSPCA, but there are so many of this type of dog looking for homes and it is often said that this type does not do well in kennels, so what they did was probably for the best.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I am no fan of the RSPCA, but there are so many of this type of dog looking for homes and it is often said that this type does not do well in kennels, so what they did was probably for the best.

I dont agree with that statement, just look around at other rescues and they are full of Staffs and their crosses if they didnt do well in kennels no one would take them in.

For me the RSPCA went down hill after getting involved with the hunting ban, millions of pounds wasted on their advertising campaign against hunting.

marmalade76

Visit site
I dont agree with that statement, just look around at other rescues and they are full of Staffs and their crosses if they didnt do well in kennels no one would take them in.

Ah, but you do agree that there are so many of this type already looking for homes, which was my main point. At my local animal shelter, 90% of the dogs there are Staffs and Staff crosses, I wonder how many of them find homes?

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site

For me the RSPCA went down hill after getting involved with the hunting ban, millions of pounds wasted on their advertising campaign against hunting.

Agree with you Dobiegirl 100%.

I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest. Good. Maybe the rescue in question will be told why the dogs that had spaces were put down. RSPCA have still have not said anything.

Yes you are right, rescues are over run with staffies - or actually I should say staffie "types". You very very rarely see a "correct" staffie in a pound nowadays. They have been so bred out for profit that they no longer resemble the breed standard. I appreciate the whole argument about what is good/bad on breeding is another arguement but these dogs are a long way from what they should be. Northern staffie rescue is still managing to rehome, southern is struggling. I do take my hat off to Battersea who are really trying to make a difference, including working with staffie welfare to find different solutions to this problem

End of the day, the reason why I was so up in arms, that here were 2 dogs, they had space and back up and the RSPCA did not give them the chance - and while I am droning on about staffies, these were actually EBT crosses (and actually looked like pure EBT's).

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
The RSPCA was founded as a political action group, not to rescue animals – that came later.

What's happened is that the perception of animals and exactly what constitutes animal rights has shifted, along with legislation. And it does sound like there's been a cultural shift in the organisation itself.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Whilst I would understand those who would be opposed to the wanton destruction of any dog, there are times when a humane end is better than a kennelled and pointless existence, just because "We never destroy a healthy dog".

I realise that there are many dogs, in need of re-homing, who live out happy and worthwhile lives, and I genuinely applaud those who take on the responsibilities, but I would never follow that path, were a dog mine. Better a humane end, I think.

Alec.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Alec if everyone took that stance there would be no dogs in rescue, but I believe you wouldnt be churning out unwanted puppies either.
If my dogs previous owner had taken your stance my dogs would have been denied a lovely life living on a farm,trained,well fed,exercised and loved. I realise Dobermanns are not everyones cup of tea but their first stroke of luck was being handed over to Dobermann Welfare. They were assessed as was I and my home and given the all clear to come and live with me.

This is echoed all over the country with all types of dogs finding a forever home.

I am just very grateful that Dobermanns are not more popular which to me is the death knell for any breed and unfortunately for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier its paying the price for being so popular.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Whilst I would understand those who would be opposed to the wanton destruction of any dog, there are times when a humane end is better than a kennelled and pointless existence, just because "We never destroy a healthy dog".

I realise that there are many dogs, in need of re-homing, who live out happy and worthwhile lives, and I genuinely applaud those who take on the responsibilities, but I would never follow that path, were a dog mine. Better a humane end, I think.

Alec.

There are fates worse than death. I consider a lifetime in kennels one of those fates.

I will probably be shot down for this, but I agree with the quoted posts. I worked in a kennels that took in dogs that had seized by the police. They all spent 23 hours and 40 minutes in the same kennel/run. We walked them for 10-20 minutes a day and perhaps if they were lucky they got a couple of hours in one of the big runs. For a staff/pitbull which are both high energy breeds this is no sort of life :(

Alec Swan

Visit site
Alec if everyone took that stance there would be no dogs in rescue, but I believe you wouldnt be churning out unwanted puppies either......

D_G,

I'm assuming that by "You", you don't mean me, but it's an interesting point, because all so many, I feel sure, take on puppies, in the certain knowledge that decent and caring people will take them in, for re-homing, and I'd suggest that the breeders without scruples, will know that. Let's face it, they have an end to their market, except that it's rarely the breeders who knock on the door of the rescue centres. More likely the unwitting buyer.

Dobies? I've had 3. One of mine, and two of others. The one which was mine, I rescued, and he was the first. He was also some boy!! He had the expression of a fish. "Reading" the dog took me some while, but when I'd got the hang of him, we were the best of mates.

GSDs were the first to attract the idiots, then it was the Doberman, followed by the Rottweiler. Now it seems that the fighting breeds are in vogue, along with the Designer Breeds.

Honestly, I give up.

Alec.

Oneofthepack

Visit site
...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a captive bolt is a humane method of euthanasia. Just because people might not like the 'idea' of it, does not make it inhumane.........

Agree, it's how all animals in slaughter houses are killed, or stunned to then have their throats cut, so if it's good enough for them.......

Of course we all like the idea of an animal slipping quietly off to sleep and personally I wouldn't have it any other way for my pets but faced with thousands of dogs to euthanize?

Oneofthepack

Visit site
Oh rubbish! Where exactly does it state whether or not I have done something about it? You have no idea of what has gone on! What I wrote was simply to show an example of how the RSPCA have let us down.

Please don't preach!

Sorry to 'preach' but reading your original post you say you watched your aunt beat a horse until it collapsed, repeatedly hit a horse in the stomach with spurs wrapped round her fist, saw on a horses mouth until it bled and punch a horse in the face, so by that I assumed you did nothing. If my aunt had done anything like that she surely wouldn't have done it again in my presence!

Why is that the RSPCA's fault? Shouldn't we all take responsability to act on the cruelty we see? If you know a social worker beats her kid and you do nothing is it social services fault when the kid dies?

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Whilst I'm no defender of the RSPCA, I believe the dogs will have been assessed by them and it's possible that they showed signs of aggression and the RSPCA didn't agree with them being rehomed.
OP, I understand that the person who runs the rescue centre you talk of has a lot of experience with bull breeds, and that's not the problem - the problem is who they end up with after leaving the rescue centre's care.
And as for bull breeds being the ones that don't matter, everything available in rescue centres round here, is a bull breed or bull breed cross.....

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My issue with 'we never put a healthy dog down' is that it applies to physical health only.
I have sadly known dogs who are physically healthy, but not mentally, not one bit, tortured souls, and I know what I would rather do with dogs like that.
As has been mentioned, there are worst things than humane euthanasia for most animals.

Kc Mac

Visit site
Lots of posts I agree with and some not but if I start quoting I will take up 2 pages to myself :eek: :p

I unfortunately can believe they PTS dogs that had spaces at other rescues - not that that makes it right or even ok :mad:

I have never had much of an opinion on the RSPCA as I had no dealings with them. However I now have a dog (staffie) that they took in as a stray (member of public saw abandoned and took in to them). Over 5 days he was there he was assessed and was due to be PTS :( Paperwork states kennel guarding, showed agression to staff - they left a lead on him in kennel to enable them to handle him :eek: but was fine when they vaccinated him :rolleyes: (why if due to PTS :confused:) Also dog aggrressive :rolleyes:

Sooooooooo when finder called to find out how dog was getting on, told he would be PTS she contacted a death row rescue who agreed to take responsibility for him if finder could temp foster, so RSPCA let a pensioner walk out with said dog as long as bill would be paid for the time/meds administered :eek:

Said dog clearly wasn't assessed properly or they would have known with dogs he was undersocialised and suffered nervous aggression :rolleyes: He is not aggressive with people at all just needed to learn manners on not jumping up :rolleyes:

Thats my piece said :eek:

I should probably do another Buddy update now I have mentioned his murky past again :p

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I suspect the dogs are being pts because after assessment the RSPCA have deamed them not suitable to re-home.

Ultimately the onus would be on them if things went pear shaped with these dogs, regardless if they had been passed on to another re-homing centre, so I can understand their decision (if those are the reasons).