Rub prevention

Loopieandme

New User
Visit site
My clipped but mostly grown out mare has got spur marks on her side. I say this, I don't ride in spurs they are just from the zip guard on my chaps. I've started to ride with a whip so I don't have to nag with my legs quite so much and I no longer ride in chaps as this is the most likely reason why shes got them. Does anyone have any tips on regrowing the hair/preventing it from happening?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it's that awful time of year when the winter coat is just so worn out, that any little thing can rub some sensitive types.
I would keep your boots/ chaps as clean as you can to keep friction down to a minimum, and provided it's just the hair worn away rather than sore skin, don't worry too much. the summer coats will be coming through soon.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes! OH had this with the Charlie Horse. He didn't wear spurs either, but his lower leg was not the most stable. I would use a huge bath towel under the saddle so Charles had his sides covered.

It was only ever at coat change time, but looked awful.

ETA - they do proper belly bands now made of lycra, but the bath towel did just fine.