rubber bit guard dilemma

autumn7

Visit site
Bought thin rubber bit guards (half thickness of more usual ones) to put on Neue Schule loose ring bit after a previous loose ring bit I borrowed chafed the skin at the corners of her mouth. She'd worn this NS bit plus the guards several times, and so far so good.
However, on long hack today horse managed to get one totally in her mouth ( I skewered her head around and managed to rescue it), then five mins later she got BOTH rubbers in and I finished the short distance home with them squeaking together as she gummily "chewed" them. A new trick learnt. Now what??
Anyone else had this problem with loose ring bits? If so, how did you resolve it please? I don't need this bit for day to day riding but do for hunting. Only took her out hacking in it today to iron out any problems with new curb strap fit. Curb strap's fine but this I didn't envisage!
ANY suggestions most welcome as hunting in a few days time.Thanks in advance.

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
Sounds very bizarre, she must be opening her mouth very wide to enable her to get one in her mouth I would think.

I would be tempted to put a loose flash noseband on her to stop her getting her mouth open that far.

Louby

Visit site
I had problems with the bit rubbers rubbing :confused:
Solution was to go up a size in the bit, Ive never had a problem since and have ditched the rubbers.

autumn7

Visit site
Mrs_Wish and NicoleS - she's got one of those huge floppy-lipped droopy mouths with a mind of it's own and when examining from the ground I can see how it's just possible to fiddle one in there at a push, but two....never. Obviously anything's possible! She's not a horse that opens her mouth unduly either. Only possess a cavesson noseband for her for smartness, day to day I don't use one. May have to resort though if it comes to it.

Louby - heartening to hear that the larger size eliminated your problem. Have decided to take her hunting next minus the rubber guards and take a chance since this loose ring is a far better fit than the one I initially borrowed that rubbed. I was so apprehensive that it was the loose ring arrangement (never used any type of loose ring bit before) rather than the slightly tight fit, that I put these thin rubbers on as a precaution. If it proves a fast day maybe I'll retire early just in case and take it from there before I go down a change of noseband route. Guess it'll be trial and error at first. Thanks for your views everyone. Good to have other folks perspective on things.

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
could her bit be too low in her mouth? Its the only thing i can think of that would allow the guard to be able to get into the mouth. we use rubber guards on lots of different bits and lots of horses. Never had one slip into a mouth before....

equinim

Visit site
could she need her teeth checking as she may be mouthing the bit due to sharp tooth
if she is the type of mare that gets a sore mouth/lips
u could poss use a australian cheeker it is rubber rings attached in middle of nose and strap going up to top of head.
it would stop her getting rubbers in her mouth and with the strap going down middle of face can stop pulling as well.