Rubber Matting

Stenners

Visit site
Who uses it and who doesn't?

If you use it what ones do you use and where from?

I last had rubber mats about 5 years ago and they've gone up in price a lot!! (I cut them down to fit a small stable at old yard so need new ones or at least contemplating getting more)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I use them, I have the standard black bubble top ones, no particular brand. I got them from a local feed store.
I only actually use them though because we incorporated them into a base to build stables on top of dirt (compacted stone) floors. It works. It gives me a sturdy sweepable floor which was the plan.
If I had concrete floors I’d probably not bother, I’d bed to the door way, Chuck it up and sweep out properly daily.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I use them and a big shavings bed on top. I don't like a small bed. It means that even if he has a big roll or paws or anything he will never be on concrete. Also, in the winter the moisture from the earth will come through the floor and make the bed damp at the bottom without the mats.

asmp

Visit site
I gave up on mine as the urine used to sit under them (they were too heavy for one person to move). Horse used to cough quite a bit but stopped after I stopped using straw and mats.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
I have rubber mats on concrete in all stables. They are Quattro mats. I also put a full bed down in winter but leave bare in summer when the stables are open, along with a barn for the equines to come in away from the flies, as given the choice they prefer to lay down on the ground in the loafing area.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have rubber in all my stables
Currently have them fully matted out but in the past I have just done the front and had a half bed on the back which is a fair compromise.
I find concrete floors eventually get slippery for shod horses and the rubber gives them good purchase. Either EVA or heavy rubber, both work well - i prefer EVA for the ease of lifting them if you are likely to move.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve got heavy black matting in one stable that’s fitted snugly and I never move it. Been down about 7 years. I always have a decent bed on it of wood pellets although I run it down over summer as out pretty much 24/7 and put in fresh for the winter.

In my other stable I’ve got the light EVA interlocking type which I bought second hand. Although it’s easy to move the mats flatten and stretch and don’t properly interlock. Also where my horse stands at the front on the stable it bubbles up due to stretching and won’t lie flat. I don’t know what make they are so not sure whether it’s a cheaper less robust make. Again I use a proper pellet bed.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I've never had a problem with my EVA ones but I wouldn't choose interlocking ones of any kind ;)
Mine are 34mm Ark Mats and 44mm Mayo mats. the heavy ones are generic 18mm ones from the feed merchants.

I definitely wouldn’t again now I know what PITA they are to lock together ?however they were a bargain off a fellow livery and they’ve done 3 years so far so I feel I’ve had a good deal - not so much if I’d paid a lot for them.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I had interlocking Equimats in my horsebox, in fairness they were good but obviously not getting the same wear as ones in a stable would do.

Bernster

Visit site
The lightweight interlocking ones were no good, they bubbled up loads and had to be cut back several times. Still bubble and move a bit so I wouldn’t use them again in a stable. Gone back to the traditional heavier Eva mats.

Spot_On03

Visit site
Mines doesn't have matting, found she always peed where they met, and then it stunk. Now have her on wood pellet/shavings kick up daily to air.

Cragrat

Visit site
My concrete is flat (good) but no drainage fall (bad).

I have heavy 18mm rubber mats, all 2nd hand, laid REALLY tight (like SbyS) and also ran sealant into the joins. I top up the sealant every couple of years approx, if I see any gaps. I use a deep bed of pellets/chopped rape/cardboard or whatever my current favourite is on the back 2/3rds, and bare in the friont. They have been down 12 ish years now. NO smell, no curling/lifting.

I like the mats because mine all love a good vigorous roll, and it gives that extra protection.

Britestar

Visit site
Mayo mats, some equimats (bought 2nd hand) and some generic EVA mats.
The oldest must well over 20years old and are still going strong.
Used to have straw on them, now shredded cardboard.
Occasionally have to trim them, but I don't mind.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I put down the "Versa" interlocking rubber mats last year. It was a "Big Ohh" present from me to myself. Two of us (ladies!) did it over a weekend; but I could have managed it on my own (just.......).

I don't bed-up with it, just chuck literally a bucket-full of shavings down to soak up any wee and that's it.

Works for me, am happy with it.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I have Equimats which are easily 15+years old, they were expensive compared to other mats but much warmer and softer. A big plus is tgat i can move them myself and I'm only small. The only negative is they no longer interlock but they have been moved, and cut for, 5 different stables, so not going to get too upset by that

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
I have the 24mm arc mats , they are super light so can pull up easily and often if wee does sit under them. It is a bit annoying that the wee just goes through the gaps and sits under but they are very comfy and my boy is messy so if without he moved med around and ends up lying on concrete ! I still use quite a lot of shavings on top!

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Equimats still going strong they must be 20 years old ! yes they are an investment but they are lighter to move than the black rubber ones, which are a complete pig to move on your own !

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Who uses it and who doesn't?

If you use it what ones do you use and where from?

I last had rubber mats about 5 years ago and they've gone up in price a lot!! (I cut them down to fit a small stable at old yard so need new ones or at least contemplating getting more)

Good well fitting mats stay down, don’t move, don’t smell and fully protect horse horse if digs down to concrete.

I’d not use mats with deep litter wood pellets or shavings. But if fully mucking out I’d prefer to include mats as extra protection.